I'm too self conscious to attend the gym

Options

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I was like that in the beginning. I agree with others no ones going to pay you attention because they are focused on them self.. you will in spire those around you through showing up an putting in the effort. even if you decide not to go the gym. people will notice you. I will never forget joining Zumba at the gym. I looked silly trying to keep up but I had fun. and no your not fat i'm the same height except i'm 236 pounds
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, you're definitely not going to be the "fat kid" at the gym, a place where panting (among other noises) is pretty much the norm for people who are working out hard. No one is going to give you a second glance. Go to the gym, start a progressive lifting program with a slight calorie deficit, and your confidence rise.

...if you're still not convinced of the gym, start a running program and work in body weight exercises (situps, pushups, mountain climbers, burpees, squats, planks, etc...) and sprints during your runs.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Apparently, my comment *may* be taken wrong - I am not saying do not lose weight or don't go. Go! But you won't be the biggest person there, I'm 99.99% sure. You're almost at a healthy weight, so if that's what you're after you should be able to achieve it pretty easily and if you are looking to get even more fit than average then the gym is the place to be. :)
  • ZenZeta
    ZenZeta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like others have said... just do it! It won't be nearly as bad as you think.

I'm an introvert, so large crowds make me nervous and sometimes the smallest noises can "overstimulate" me. It helped me to create my own motivational play list for the gym. I can escape to my own musical world with a pair of ear buds.

Also, I find myself smiling inside when I see a person of size (which you aren't, by the way) in the gym. I can feel my inner cheerleader saying "Way to Go!!! You're IN here!!! You're DOING it!!!!"

Besides, most people in the gym aren't paying you any attention. They're focused on their own workout.

If it's any encouragement... this past weekend as I entered the gym, I heard someone singing VERY loudly. There was an AMAZING "curvier" woman on the elliptical working out and singing gospel music at the top of her lungs. No one was bothered!! In fact, most of us were giving her thumbs up. Hey, whatever gets you through!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! The first step is the hardest.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ZenZeta wrote: »

If it's any encouragement... this past weekend as I entered the gym, I heard someone singing VERY loudly. There was an AMAZING "curvier" woman on the elliptical working out and singing gospel music at the top of her lungs. No one was bothered!! In fact, most of us were giving her thumbs up. Hey, whatever gets you through!!!

That is so sweet and AWESOME for her.

I am like you, I have some bluetooth headphones and I crank up the music and tune the rest of the world out.

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to exercise that don't involve a gym. Buy some exercise DVD's or check them out from the library. Check out Youtube for exercises. Buy some weights and some running/walking/hiking shoes. Buy a bike.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to get fit. Fitnessblender on YouTube is good and they are free! You can shuffle by time, muscle group, etc.
    Keep walking. It's good exercise.
    Use MFP to track calories.
    Beach body have lots of at home dvds and a website subscription for more home workouts.
    You can buy some home dumbells for weights and also do yoga for strength trying using your body weight.
    I don't like gyms myself...
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Suck it up and go to the gym.

A good first step in developing some self-esteem and self-confidence is putting yourself out there.
    It will get easier every time you walk in and start exercising because you will stop caring what other people think and focus on the task / exercises at hand.

If you keep "hiding" from the gym you will continue to feel like you don't belong instead of feeling like you have proven that you have as much right to be there as anyone else.

If you are in the gym and have the time and/or energy to worry about what other people think of you then you are not working very hard to reach your goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Subscribe to John Glaude's YouTube channel. He was where you are and he's a super positive dude.

https://youtu.be/F3-N7DalNwQ
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So either this is a troll or you have some deep seated issues that require counseling.

For reference I'm 5'8" and at the top of my bulk I hit 185- and if I do say so myself- I'm hotAF.

You are absolutely not fat. and there is no way you fat kind pant- so either you are a troll, you have respiratory issues which means you need to see a doctor, or you have a very very unhealthy and skewed view of what you look like- which means you need counseling.

Being said- you don't need a gym to get fit.
    Go if you want- but if not- walk outside- workout at home- workout at a park.
    Buy some fitness bands off Amazon (yay prime!).

Best Beginner work out- nerd fitness
    Body by you
    You are your own gym
    convict conditioning
    angry trainer fitness
    loving fit by Tatiana
    Zuzka light
    Bodyrock
    fitness blender

all options for working out at home.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I was nervous as the dickens when my XXXL self went to the gym for the first time. Looking back on it, I wish I would have asked a friend to go with me the first time just to show me some machines and free-weight techniques. Regardless, by the end of my first visit I realized nobody cared that I was there anymore than I cared about them being there.

Fast forward to down 75-80 pounds and in great shape...a gym veteran. And I decided to start swimming 2 months ago. I felt the same nervousness as my first time to the gym - mostly just figuring out pool etiquette. This time it lasted for 2 minutes, max.

Moral of the story - just go. If you need to, bring a friend - but go!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jack27496 wrote: »
    I'm an 18 year old guy and I'm desperate to lose weight. Lots of people have suggested going to the gym and I'm just too self conscious. I find it difficult to just walk past people without holding my breath and the fear that they can hear the fat kid panting. I'm 5 foot 9 and weigh around 185 pounds and desperate to be about 150. What types of exercises can I do at home which will help me lose weight. Does anyone else have a fear of going to the gym. The only exercise I ever tend to do is just walking and I barely have any muscle at all. I can honestly say if I did ten sit ups the next day my body would ache

Most people at the gym are there to get their own work done and couldn't care less what other people look like or are doing (unless, of course, they're being an inconsiderate *kitten* - then we'll notice them).

Also- at those specs, you would not even remotely be the "fat kid" at the gym...I can almost guarantee there will be plenty of people way 'fluffier' than you there.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don't be self-conscious who cares what other people thinks!
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    As someone who has high anxiety I fully understand your issue. My suggestion is just do it, its how I deal with my anxiety. The things that make me anxious I just do them cause I know it'll only get better. Just realize it's a mental barricade you're creating. Yea maybe you get some jerk who is going to poke fun but for the most part people who go to the gym aren't worried about anyone else. You might even meet people who want to help you. I feel like you deal with less jerks in the gym compared to everyday life.

It really reminds me of say your first day at a new job where you're nervous. You still go to work and everyday after cause it's a necessity. Treat it the same cause your health is a necessity. If that is an issue invest in some gym equipment plenty of people selling stuff on craigslist. I can't offer too much on home workouts.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    jack27496 wrote: »
    I'm an 18 year old guy and I'm desperate to lose weight. Lots of people have suggested going to the gym and I'm just too self conscious. I find it difficult to just walk past people without holding my breath and the fear that they can hear the fat kid panting. I'm 5 foot 9 and weigh around 185 pounds and desperate to be about 150. What types of exercises can I do at home which will help me lose weight. Does anyone else have a fear of going to the gym. The only exercise I ever tend to do is just walking and I barely have any muscle at all. I can honestly say if I did ten sit ups the next day my body would ache
    Fitstar app is really good, you can try that! When I go to the gym I am not paying attention at others and how they look. If someone stares at you, waived and smile, life is good. Who care what other people thinks!!!!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Ok go tonight. Tell us about it when you get back. Do it.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Most people at the gym are in their own zone. Thinking about what machine they want to hit next, why they put a stupid song on their playlist, or trying to push themselves to their limit. Hate to say it but very few people are focused on others. And I personally am always thrilled to see an overweight person working out because it means they are trying to live a healthier life.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I used to have massive workout anxiety. I have also been a gym rat. And still, I get self conscious when I feel out of shape. I always do 30 minute DVD workouts for a few weeks before I feel comfortable at the gym after a lapse. Just me. I like Jillian Michaels workouts.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym for the first time a few weeks ago. I was nervous, but like others have said, everyone is focused on their own workout. I did just that and a guy saw me struggling with a sticking pin on a machine and helped me out so I could adjust it. :)
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    5'9 185,. Don't worry about it I'm a inch shorter and when I was 185 I wouldn't say I looked obese, esp when I find pictures from then vs now lol.

You will be fine, go and enjoy it.

I like working out at home. Power blocks, pushup bars, pullup bar and p90x is good enough for me. Will add a bench and more weights after I reach my goal weight.