White rice

Question, will consuming an egg or milk or a source of protein (besides soy protein) >=7 grams, will protein prevent a increase of blood sugar versus eating multiple servings of rice by its self?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Protein spikes blood sugar as well.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Macros consumed in combination are not well studied, also blood sugar effects can vary between individuals. Blood sugar meters are relatively inexpensive and you find out what combination of things affect your blood sugar.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Fiber. Eat your veggies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Oh ,well I wanted something I could eat with white rice to slow down blood sugar spiking.

Why?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I suggest running a few experiments with your glucometer. Remember to test two hours after the meal.

My personal experience is that oil and/or vinegar slows down the spike.

Milk, no. Milk with lactose and whey spikes hard, too.

A stir fry would be nice. Or a cold salad with rice in an oil and vinegar dressing.
  • skeane91
    skeane91 Posts: 11 Member
    Soy is awful for you so is white rice
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited May 2017
    OP, do you have a reason to be concerned with blood sugar spikes, are you diabetic?

skeane91 wrote: »

In what way?
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    skeane91 wrote: »

What makes white rice awful for you? And what's wrong with soy?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Oh ,well I wanted something I could eat with white rice to slow down blood sugar spiking.

Why?

Because I need white rice but without its diabetic increasing effects sir

Are you diabetic (or pre-diabetic), or are you concerned that blood sugar spikes will make you diabetic?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Why?

Because I need white rice but without its diabetic increasing effects sir

Are you diabetic (or pre-diabetic), or are you concerned that blood sugar spikes will make you diabetic?

Yes I am so what food to combine with white rice?

You answered yes to an either or question :neutral:

With a medical condition, you should be getting guidance from your doctor or a dietician. Blood sugar balance can be highly individual.

Without a medical condition, you don't need to be concerned about spikes.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    I suffer from hypoglycemia and for me, if I just ate white rice by itself, I would be shaky and irritable 3 hours later. If I ate white rice with some sort of fat/protein, I would probably be OK. If I had brown rice and protein, I'd be feeling awesome and fuller for longer. Unless you have a medical condition or diabetes, eating white rice by itself is fine. You'll probably be hungry within a couple hours though unless you pair it with some fat or protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Protein or fiber will help with that. Both of these digest more slowly than non-fiber carbs so while they do not prevent an increase in blood sugar, it slows the release so that you don't get the sharp spike.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You could eat it in a bun made with hfcs.

Or as part of a meal with fibrous vegies and some fats like others have suggested.