Eating under 1000 calories

In the past 9 weeks I've lost 33lbs. I have ate under 1000 calories for the last month or so, I just find it really hard to eat more. I average burn about 2,300-2,800 calories according to fit bit. However on a Sunday's I will eat around 3,000 calories. Does this make up for only eating between 600-900 calories a day? I know I sound ridiculous but I'm still 12lbs 'over weight' and I can't seem to force myself to eat more.. has anyone else gone through this? :/

Replies

• georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Are you weighing your food? Because if you're not there's no change in hell you're only eating 600-900 a day.

But if you legitimately are eating that little, then you have a problem that needs to be sorted because that is healthy for no one, especially if you actually burn as much as your fit bit says you do.
    Yeah I weigh all food, tbh I only eat food that shows exactly how many calories are in them:/ I am eating that many and that's how I've managed to lose 2 and a half stone in 2 months

• georgiamaxine1
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    How did you get overweight if now you now have trouble eating 1000 calories?
    I've always had problems with eating food either eating too little or too much and that's basically how I got overweight I had an eating disorder and got down to 7 stone then went the over way and ended up 15 stone, I literally cannot help it
  • georgiamaxine1
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In the past 9 weeks I've lost 33lbs.

Consistently, or did you have an initial large drop and then average less?
    I have ate under 1000 calories for the last month or so, I just find it really hard to eat more. I average burn about 2,300-2,800 calories according to fit bit. However on a Sunday's I will eat around 3,000 calories. Does this make up for only eating between 600-900 calories a day? I know I sound ridiculous but I'm still 12lbs 'over weight' and I can't seem to force myself to eat more.. has anyone else gone through this? :/

No, it really doesn't sound like it makes up for it, and if you really can't manage to eat more, please see a doctor.
    Yeah I eat around 600-900 calories daily then once a week eat 3,000 calories cos I like to go out for food and have some chocolate, so my average probably isn't too low tbh
  • georgiamaxine1
    try2again wrote: »
    Actually, with a loss of nearly 4 lbs/week, it's likely the OP is only eating what she says. OP, you are burning lean muscle mass this way... is that what you wanted? :(
    No it's not what I wanted, I should probably see a doctor but just wanted to see if anyone else has been through this before and what helped.. I don't have an appetite anymore really but I've been under a lot of stress too so that probably has something to do with it :/
  • georgiamaxine1
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You're losing almost 4 lbs per week - that is waaaaay too fast considering you are only 12 lbs overweight. You are probably losing a lot of muscle and causing a host of other issues that just haven't showed outwardly yet.

If you can't physically eat more, see a doctor. In the meantime, eat calorie dense stuff like some peanut butter, nuts, ice cream, avocado, a shake or smoothie etc. If you can't psychologically eat more, you can see a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Please take care of yourself!
    thank you x

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Been there, done that, albeit to a less extreme degree. When I wanted to maintain, the only way I could stop losing was to restrict fewer days and binge more days. Please get professional help to get you out of this.
  • nretsneklafm
    nretsneklafm Posts: 2 Member
    As others have mentioned the rapid weight loss and decreased appetite are not healthy and can cause bigger problems down the line. You are definitely not alone in this and like others have suggested you should seek out help. I'd recommend seeing a therapist and a medical provider (to rule out any medical contributors). Eating disorders, depression, and other psychological factors can affect appetite, but so can hormonal imbalances, GI problems, and other medical problems. Sorry you are going through this. You're not alone and help is out there! Take care!
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    I am a guy that bicycles nearly every day averaging a 500 calorie burn daily and shoot for a 1,200-1,500 daily food intake. I try to cap my net calories under 1,000. I make sure my nutrients are there but its not easy. I think I am pretty much at the bottom of the acceptable.
  • planetcadillac
    I am a guy that bicycles nearly every day averaging a 500 calorie burn daily and shoot for a 1,200-1,500 daily food intake. I try to cap my net calories under 1,000. I make sure my nutrients are there but its not easy. I think I am pretty much at the bottom of the acceptable.

Yep, don't do this! Why do this? Muscle is hard to build after you lost it all.

I am averaging 80g protein on the 1,200-1,500 calories I do. I just have extreme discipline and don't eat any "bad" food. I average about 40g fiber daily and hit all of my nutrient needs and average 19g sugar daily. It is a narrow dietary window that takes a lot of discipline. But I am a very active person.
  • planetcadillac
    malibu927 wrote: »

That's actually below acceptable. As a man your net should be 1500 minimum.

I wouldn't disagree with that in general, but I manage to hit all my nutrient targets and do a significant level of exercising daily so I manage. The biggest change was dropping the carb % by 20% and upping the protein 15%. I am averaging about 40% of my daily calories from protein, 30% fat, and 30% carbs.