Eating under 1000 calories

Replies

• Fr3yT
    Fr3yT Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2017
    Just a question that may be relevant as this eating to burn ratio does look rather steep (and it looks like there are people here that know what they're talking about), is there a rough amount of calories you should eat under exercise? Like for example if you don't want to lose too much weight, maybe burning 1,500 cal per day, would eating 1,300 be about right? any help is appreciated :smile:
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Fr3yT wrote: »
    Just a question that may be relevant as this eating to burn ratio does look rather steep (and it looks like there are people here that know what they're talking about), is there a rough amount of calories you should eat under exercise? Like for example if you don't want to lose too much weight, maybe burning 1,500 cal per day, would eating 1,300 be about right? any help is appreciated :smile:

Eating 1,300 calories and burning 1,500 calories daily would leave you with a negative net calories. Unless you are talking about 1,300 net calories. In that case you should theoretically lose at least a pound per week maybe more depending on your metabolism and the kind of exercising you do. When I start CrossFit later this summer, I will likely reduce my exercise time but shift from cardio to strength which burns more calories especially fat. Especially given my relatively high protein intake.
  • slim1156
    slim1156 Posts: 31 Member
    Are you weighing your food? Because if you're not there's no chance in hell you're only eating 600-900 a day.

But if you legitimately are eating that little, then you have a problem that needs to be sorted because that is healthy for no one, especially if you actually burn as much as your fit bit says you do.

you are so wrong. it's not hard to eat 600 calories a day without weighing. i did it for years.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

You should really start your own thread, otherwise the replies can get confused. Don't worry, these boards are active and you'll get some answers :)
  • slim1156

to lose a pound/week, you need to have a calorie deficit of 500/day. that means you have to burn 500 cal more than you consume. but remember that you have a bmr which is the number of calories you burn just by being. any exercise increases the number of calories burned and therefore increases the amount of calories that need to be consumed.
  • Fr3yT
    Fr3yT Posts: 6 Member
    slim1156 wrote: »

to lose a pound/week, you need to have a calorie deficit of 500/day. that means you have to burn 500 cal more than you consume. but remember that you have a bmr which is the number of calories you burn just by being. any exercise increases the number of calories burned and therefore increases the amount of calories that need to be consumed.

Thank you, this is very helpful :smile:
  • slim1156
    edited May 2017
    Thank you, this is very helpful :smile:

you're welcome and good luck. :)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In the past 9 weeks I've lost 33lbs.

Consistently, or did you have an initial large drop and then average less?
    I have ate under 1000 calories for the last month or so, I just find it really hard to eat more. I average burn about 2,300-2,800 calories according to fit bit. However on a Sunday's I will eat around 3,000 calories. Does this make up for only eating between 600-900 calories a day? I know I sound ridiculous but I'm still 12lbs 'over weight' and I can't seem to force myself to eat more.. has anyone else gone through this? :/

No, it really doesn't sound like it makes up for it, and if you really can't manage to eat more, please see a doctor.
    Yeah I eat around 600-900 calories daily then once a week eat 3,000 calories cos I like to go out for food and have some chocolate, so my average probably isn't too low tbh

6 days x 800 = 4800
    1 day x 3000 = 3000

So you are averaging ~1100 calories a day.

I'd be concerned about your starve/binge eating habits. Get help and learn to eat some chocolate during the week, not just on Sunday.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I lost 3.5 lbs per week once for 10 weeks, but I was deathly ill, and ended up with hair loss, low energy, an irregular heart beat and other issues. I was so sick I literally could not keep food down and honestly it was the worst experience of my life.

If you're losing that much weight that fast, then no, it's not good for you. It might be time to go into counseling for your eating disorder, but if you're not willing to do that, at the very least bump your calories up by eating calorie dense foods, avocados and other healthy fats, spoonfuls of peanut butter, nuts, oh hell, just have some ice cream and be done with it!

You're not doing yourself any favors by eating so few calories and losing weight that fast, it will catch up with you health wise.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    If you can't eat any more, add more fat to your diet and opt for full fat dairy and fattier meats.

It's okay to eat chocolate/treat foods everyday. What you're doing is damaging your heart.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    In the past 9 weeks I've lost 33lbs. I have ate under 1000 calories for the last month or so, I just find it really hard to eat more. I average burn about 2,300-2,800 calories according to fit bit. However on a Sunday's I will eat around 3,000 calories. Does this make up for only eating between 600-900 calories a day? I know I sound ridiculous but I'm still 12lbs 'over weight' and I can't seem to force myself to eat more.. has anyone else gone through this? :/
    Yes, I've had periods of time when I under ate due to a disordered relationship with food. I suggest you get help and meanwhile on Monday-Saturday try eating peanut butter, nuts, cheese, or other calorie dense foods. If you like PB and bananas, making them into smoothies is a yummy way to get more calories. I like this with chocolate protein powder.

With only 12 pounds to lose a good rate of loss is a half pound per week.
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    How did you get overweight if now you now have trouble eating 1000 calories?
    I've always had problems with eating food either eating too little or too much and that's basically how I got overweight I had an eating disorder and got down to 7 stone then went the over way and ended up 15 stone, I literally cannot help it
    Do you have a former treatment team you can reach out to?
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    In the past 9 weeks I've lost 33lbs. I have ate under 1000 calories for the last month or so, I just find it really hard to eat more. I average burn about 2,300-2,800 calories according to fit bit. However on a Sunday's I will eat around 3,000 calories. Does this make up for only eating between 600-900 calories a day? I know I sound ridiculous but I'm still 12lbs 'over weight' and I can't seem to force myself to eat more.. has anyone else gone through this? :/

It doesn't sound like the healthiest routine but if you can manage to eat at least the 900 calories for 6 days a week and then have a 3000 cal day that is a total of 8400 calories a week, or 1200 a day which is the MFP minimum for women.