Advice for someone who doesn't enjoy excercise

Options
2»

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Keep and open mind and try new things - walking, weight lifting, running, biking, spinning, pilates, yoga, boxing, TRX, barre, circuits, Zumba, hiking, dancing, swimming, kayaking, etc. There are so many options, and I'm sure you can find something that you like especially if you keep an open mind and don't rule out all exercise. I think people forget that there's more than just going to the gym or doing exercising videos at home or just rule out all exercise because it initially makes them feel uncomfortable or out of place.

Are you outdoorsy? Very social? Maybe you can recruit a friend to walk with you, run, hike, or take a new class? Go hiking or biking with your kids?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @heather4life4 , My wife is also not likely to choose to exercise. Yet even so, when she sees me working on one of our cardio machines in the living room she often will use the other, which is a treadmill. This week she decided to walk to Paris, so she's keeping a log of her mileage to see how long it takes. Paris, Texas is closer. Maybe a social sort of thing like that is what you need. Do you have friendly neighbors you can recruit for this?
  • mirelaavdich
    mirelaavdich Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Definitely find something you enjoy, then start out slow. When I just started walking is all I did. Then I got a fitbit to track my steps and totally got hooked on getting 10k-15k steps a day. On one of my walks I felt like I wanted to go a bit faster so I ran for about 30 seconds and felt like I was dying. But eventually I was able to run more and more and I just completed my first 5k race last weekend.

I still do not enjoy strength exercises, but it is a necessary evil if I want some definition and less loose skin :/
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of quick pops of exercise for someone starting out. And stuff you can do at home and don't need any machines for. Perhaps a simple 15 minute brisk walk with some kettlebell swings & squats then push ups. It would be 30 minutes all in and gives you some cardio and strength training -- and fun.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. :) Good luck!
  • 12anita
    12anita Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great if you find a good class.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    It's scary to me to be honest. And since i don't understand it, then i don't know where to start.

okay, then i think the place to start is with anything that is 'small' enough NOT to be scary. doesn't matter what it is or how little it is, and i'm not meaning to belittle you by putting it like that. you're mostly wanting to give yourself the chance to experience exercise in some other context than fear-and-loathing.

the rest comes later, iyam.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    When I started I did not enjoy any excessive anymore. But I looked at what I used to enjoy over the years. So I upped my yoga, found an aquarobics class and started with what I used to love way back when. It was hard to do but I kept thinking I used to love it, there must be something in it.

I started walking, as that was easiest to fit in and did not need investment much. Though at that stage it felt like a chore to do, but these days it is my go-to thing to do and I love hiking now.
    I found that over time I have take up things that I used to hate with a vengeance, but now love doing. There are other things I still don't like but don't discount things you have tried and did not like for the future.