Uneven Soreness After Weightlifting

Options
I am new to weight training. I am right handed and noticed my right shoulder and arm is more sore than my left. Is this normal or is it a possible injury? I didn't do free weights, only the machines for arms.

Replies

• bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That usually means one side is weaker than the other and your stronger side is compensating during the lift

Thanks, I thought my left would be weaker since my right is my dominant arm. I am clueless to all of this. :)
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If your right arm is stronger it makes sense it's the sore one because more compensation = more of a workout on that side = more soreness or tiredness.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's fine and normal especially as a beginner.
  • bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It went away completely after about 2-3 days. I did legs 2 days ago and just felt it yesterday so this DOMS is the real deal!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You might try doing the same exercises with dumbbells intead of a bar, just to see which arm is weaker and not have the other to compensate. Otherwise, yes it is completely normal to sometimes be sore on one side more than the other. If it happens a lot, you might want to check your form just to make sure something isn't off.