The fear of protein bars!

Options
SteveVx
SteveVx Posts: 12 Member
I'm considering getting some protein bars/protein shake mixes to add to my weight loss diet however I'm concerned because I see a lot of them are packed with calories, fat and sugar. I've also read some stories on here that people have gained weight eating them. I'm wondering if any of you have success stories keeping the weight off with them and what brands/flavors :)

Replies

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you buy. Read labels.

I buy Quest, BPI Sports, Pure Protein Plus, and Optimum Nutrition. All low sugar/carbs and not too high in calories. I eat a high fat diet, so, fat content doesn't bother me.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I buy the Kirkland ones at Costco because they're relatively less expensive. They taste pretty good, and I like the macros/fiber.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It all comes back to calories in and out. As long as you're within your macros and calorie range for the day, you can add these and not gain weight. They may even help you lose, because protein does tend to be filling, so you may find that you won't want to snack as much by adding one of these to your daily meal lineup.

I really like the Nature Valley bars in peanut butter and dark chocolate. They aren't the most low cal (a full bar is 190 calories), but when I'm craving something sweet in the afternoon, they are a good option for a mid-late day snack.

Premier Protein shakes in Chocolate are also really good, and very filling for only 160 calories and 5 grams of carbs. If I don't have time for lunch, I'll have a whole one as a meal replacement shake, or if I just need a quick snack to hold me until my next meal, I'll have half of one.

I've been also adding a scoop of Cellucor Chocolate Protein powder to plain greek yogurt for a delicious and filling snack. One scoop of protein powder is only 85 calories with 4g of carbs, so it's really fairly negligible.

If you shop around, I'm sure you can find other options that won't blow out your calorie requirements.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SteveVx wrote: »
    I'm considering getting some protein bars/protein shake mixes to add to my weight loss diet however I'm concerned because I see a lot of them are packed with calories, fat and sugar. I've also read some stories on here that people have gained weight eating them. I'm wondering if any of you have success stories keeping the weight off with them and what brands/flavors :)

You gain weight if you eat more calories than you expend, regardless if those calories are from a protein bar or organic kale.

Protein bars/shakes are useful to supplement your protein intake if you're not getting enough in the rest of your diet. Other than that, they have no effects or benefits upon weight loss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you eat them and they take you over your maintenance calories, you will gain weight. If you eat them and remain under your maintenance calories, you will lose weight. Same as any food.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I eat them often as my 3pm snack. They work well for me, but there are a lot of different kinds and each brand has its own macro split. The best thing to do is probably just go to the protein bar aisle or aisles (my grocery store keeps them in 3 different places) and start reading labels to see which ones work for you. Some of them do have a lot of calories and some of them don't. Generally speaking, the more protein the bar has the more calories it will have.

I'm on a budget, so I stick with the Kroger-brand knock off of the Nature Valley protein bars. But some of my other favorites are Clif bars, Zone bars, and Luna bars. I'd basically try anything on sale! Just play around and see which ones you like.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    How you eat a half of a protein bar I don't know. I could eat 3 at once.

@bbell1985 Lmao right? Especially quest bars for me! Chocolate chip cookie dough is where its at!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

@bbell1985 Lmao right? Especially quest bars for me! Chocolate chip cookie dough is where its at!

I know. I eat one on the subway around 4:00 and I can finish it between one stop lol.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar (Kirkland) every day, practically. It's a scheduled snack so it fits into my calorie goal and macros. If I was eating them and not counting the calories and likely going over my goal I'd gain weight.
    Protein bars can be part of a weight loss diet as long as you are in a calorie deficit,
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Look for products with less sugar, if you don't mind artificial sweeteners. Count the calories into your daily goals. If you stay within your calorie goal, eating protein bars or shakes won't reverse your deficit.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My favs are My Bar, Oh Yeah (Salted Caramel is TDF!), Fit Crunch and Power Crunch. I eat one immediately after my workout and just figure it into my macros.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

Take protein bar. Cut in half. Place half in airtight tub and put away. Cut remaining half into slices and arrange on a small dish. Take into living room. Nibble.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    They have some on sale at my local supermarket, but I've never tried them. I think I'll try them now just to keep in my gym bag if I get really hungry.