Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Options
    @cschmitz110515
    I definitely have a bad case of FOMO!!

I've had one heck of a day again.
    Toddler and baby playing on floor, had been for ages, I leave the room to make a brew, baby started screaming, ran back in, draws are open on the cabinet so I assume she's hit her head. Toddler said she did it so I picked baby up and put her on the sofa. Take toddler to her room for hurting her. Come back downstairs, blood pouring down her face and in her eye. I shout my partner for the car keys to go to hosp and he tells me the cars not taxed and have to pay 6 months! Which we don't have.

Fortunately it was a tiny cut on her eyebrow, just got looked 100 times worse than it was!

And I wonder why I can't keep on track with MFP!?

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,217 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Realistic Goal = 4 lbs. per month...sounds easy, but not always so.

Boy -- isn't that true! Years ago, even just 10 years ago, I could easily lose 1-2 pounds a week. Now its a struggle just to lose 2-3 a month!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,217 Member
    Options

I have not journaled one thing this week. I just am so mad at myself for gaining 3 lbs over the weekend. I am struggling to get back into the groove. however, I packed a lunch (healthy lunch) today and made out a grocery list for my husband full of health options, so here we go!

You would have had to eat 10,500 calories to gain 3 pounds. So you know this is water weight, etc. And after a weekend with friends - that is not that much to gain, and really, worth it!

Great job in getting back on track
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    @joan6630 I didn't know that! I really thought it was fat gain. Thank you for pointing that out! I can work on getting rid of that. :smile:

@Bex953172 So glad the baby is okay! That is so scary! Things happen in the blink of an eye with little ones.

@cschmitz110515 I hope it clears up for a walk tonight too! I didn't see the weather this morning, but it sure has been dreary here hasn't it?

@junodog1 I feel your pain! I was up until 1:00 working on catching up on work emails and got up at 6:00 and I feel like a zombie today! :smile:

• bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    @OConnell5483 Thanks - I think our work situations are similar! Though I don't 'do' work emails after I've left work - I'm pretty strict with myself now having had a previous job where my boss expected me to 'keep an eye on my emails at evenings and weekends'. That was awful, I don't think I switched off properly in a year. I now don't look at emails after I've left work on principle!! (Let's not talk about what time i manage to leave work though....) Sorry to hear you need surgery. I probably also need a (second) operation in a month or so - we can form a little 'moaning about surgery' club! Are you getting plenty of time off work? Mine requires 4 weeks which was a silver lining last time....

@cschmitz110515 @Bex953172 I also have FOMO about food! It's ridiculous, every time there are leftover sandwiches from meetings i feel compelled to take advantage - even though it happens practically EVERY FRICKING DAY!!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Options

Goals for Wednesday
    - Log everything rather than using MFP to natter! - noo
    - be in the green - I wouldn't know but probably not!
    - get outside!! Yes

Goals for thursday
    - Take medication
    - LOG LOG LOG
    - Go for a long walk (don't really have a choice in this)
    - Drink plenty

May Goals
    March Weight: 12st 6lb
    April Weight 12st 5lb
    Current Weight: 12st 5lb
    Target Weight: 10st 7lb
    Lbs to lose this month: 4

Strive for progress, not perfection.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Tuesday:
    1. try to catch up on rest :)
    2. do at least one self-care activity :) salt scrub
    3. dance? :neutral: nope! too tired!
    4. 10+ cups water :)

I am feeling slightly less stressed out and I have a work break coming up where I can get some other things taken care of, so thing are looking up a bit!

Wednesday:
    1. rest
    2. do at least one self-care activity
    3. do at least an hour of gardening (so far behind on planting!)
    4. 10+ cups water
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Just for Wednesday:
    1. Stay in the green and hit my water goal of 80 oz of water or decaf ;) Green! :( 60oz only
    2. Journal every bite, even if it is only a handful of peanuts (those buggers are really high in calories! Good Golly!) :)
    3. Get one big task done today at work and mark off some of the smaller ones. Try to get at least 5 things checked off. ;)
    4. Podcasts by Optimal Living Daily and Optimal Health Daily, and Half Size Me :)Still need to listen to Half Size Me
    5. Call doctor about MRI on my knee. I have a tear in my meniscus and need surgery. Joy. :/I'll have to call tomorrow.
    6. Simple Abundance Book - get caught up :) Am about to do this next.
    7. Get caught up on Beck Diet Solution Tasks :/Carry over to tomorrow
    8. Quitting the sitting - Stand for 5 minutes every 30 to 60 minutes throughout the day. I have a great app to remind me of this on my phone. :)
    9. Be grateful. Turn negative thoughts around. Try to focus on positives rather than negatives :)
    10. Make a schedule for next week from Sunday through Saturday: exercise, packing lunches evening before, meal planning, etc. :/Carry over to tomorrow.
    11. Go to bed early tonight. I am exhausted! Was up until 1 a.m. trying to catch up on work emails. I have 200 unread emails after taking 3 days off work. It is overwhelming! :/ Not exactly real early but heading there now with my book.

I'll post tomorrow's goals now:

Just for Thursday, 5/24
    1. Stay in the green
    2. Hydrate
    3. Complete 1 large task and 2 small tasks
    4. Daily Podcasts, plus Half Size Me
    5. Call for MRI on knee
    6. Beck Diet Solution Tasks
    7. Remember to stand up every 30 minutes for a short walk
    8. Be grateful and smile! Offer encouragement to my colleagues when in the grip of stress
    9. Unplug and bed early

I'll check in later and see how ya'll are doing! :)
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments -

- Log everything I eat :)
    - No snacks AT ALL to free up calories for pub dinner :/ I ended up staying late at work and having a small number of crisps. This was not due to hunger - possibly just due to boredom?
    - Choose sausage & mash for dinner :) Didn't go to pub in the end due to getting a cold. So had relatively low calorie dinner at home instead.
    - Drink 1 water for every alcoholic drink and only G&T until after I have ordered food. After this may be safe to order a glass of wine... :) No alcohol as went home instead
    - Leave by 9pm in order to pack running gear for tomorrow OR just get rest if am not feeling well enough to run (in a bit of discomfort at the mo due to ongoing health problem) :| Didn't apply

- 30+ minute lunch break :)
    - Meditate at lunch :)
    - Listen to music to boost mood and productivity :)
    - Focus on key tasks rather than getting distracted by non-urgent emails :)

Today's commitments -
    - Log everything I eat
    - No snacks outside meals
    - No alcohol to help fight cold
    - Be in the green!
    - Bed at 10.30, light off at 11

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Walk at lunch
    - Meditate
    - Listen to music to boost mood and productivity
    - Focus on key tasks rather than getting distracted by non-urgent emails
  • vishalb08
    vishalb08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    vishalb08 wrote: »
    Hello to all.
    Calling myself obese would be a slight understatement.
    Basically I was a hot-shot pilot who lost control over his lifestyle, became obese, kicked out of job for failing medicals, got dumped after 3 yrs of relation cos I was unemployed n broke, spent the next 18 months drinking smoking and wasting life.
    Then I cleaned up a bit and got a new job.
    I'm in a better place now.
    But still I feel sad seeing myself in the mirror.
    All the jokes & heckles about my size & struggle with weight loss hurt me.
    I really am looking for a full scale change of my lifestyle.
    I would really appreciate all help.
    Thank you.

My son is a pilot - not commercially, but private. He loves flying. I could see where losing this would be very hard for you. But you should be very proud of yourself for cleaning up your life. Giving up the drinking and smoking is not easy -- so congratulations to you. I have no doubt that you will also have yourself fit and healthy again. I am glad you are in a better place now -- you are off to a great start --- and I know you can do it.

You are not alone in feeling sad looking in the mirror. But today can be the day you change all that. There are many things in life we cannot control, but what we eat is something we can take control. I find that tackling this just one day at a time helps. If I look at the big picture - like wanting to lose 30 pounds, it can be overwhelming. But I also know it is changing our lifestyle - not just a diet. This is why I love the concept of posting goals each day -- just one day at a time. We would love to have you join us -- we are all going to look amazing by next year at this time. Not next month, like I wish it could be, but realistic.

Thank you so much for those kind words.
    Please wish your son HAPPY LANDINGS on my behalf.
    But the feeling of pride that you mention is missing.
    I feel so disappointed & ashamed for having lost control over my life.
    I know that I should feel good about the positive steps I have taken, but the magnitude of negativity surrounding overshadows it all.
    But like you said, it taking one day at a time.
    For now my aim is to be able to log my meals every day & maintain it below my set calorie mark.
    Once again thank you for your kind words & welcoming me to your lives.
  • vishalb08
    Options
    Today's commitments:
    1. Log everything that I eat (Probably spend the whole day logging only)
    2. Drink 2 liters of water (All I have to do is fill all the beer bottles with water)
    3. Make a genuine effort to stay within my calorie limit for the day.

To be brutally honest, these 3 things look like a humongous task.
    But I have to start somewhere.
    So here we go !!!!!!
  • mmecraine
    mmecraine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Today I am NOT going to have a glass of wine when I get home.
    I'm going to go on a "long" run (I'm on week 5 of c25k)
    I'm going to be mindful and appreciate the last day with these students. (I'm a teacher)

Side note: I went to log breakfast and I realized that the 1/4 cup of granola that I decided to put on my chia seed pudding has an INSANE amount of calories and carbs for a tiny bit of food :(
    Anyone else been punched in the gut when logging a food???
  • mmecraine
    mmecraine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey @vishalb08 - my husband has been sober for 6 years now, and swears by taking it one day at a time.
    I think you've found the right group for that!!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Today's commitments:
    2. Drink 2 liters of water (All I have to do is fill all the beer bottles with water)

So here we go !!!!!!

The good news is logging really does get easier. I pre-log my day as much as possible, but I add every little variation. If I have not planned my day I whip out my phone and log or snap UPC codes and log. It becomes habit over time.

l53m2bo7q77f.jpg
  • vishalb08
    Options
    mmecraine wrote: »
    Hey @vishalb08 - my husband has been sober for 6 years now, and swears by taking it one day at a time.
    I think you've found the right group for that!!

A big congrats to your husband. You must be so proud of him. hopefully I can replicate his determination & results.
    I'm glad that I have a great group of ppl supporting me.
    Thank you.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Just for today: 6 to 8 glasses of water! Good luck
  • vishalb08
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Today's commitments:

So here we go !!!!!!

The good news is logging really does get easier. I pre-log my day as much as possible, but I add every little variation. If I have not planned my day I whip out my phone and log or snap UPC codes and log. It becomes habit over time.

l53m2bo7q77f.jpg

"Pre-Log"
    Now that's something I need to try.
    Till now I have been logging only after I have had something.
    Does Pre-logging help you control your intake better than logging after the meal?
    Thank you for your thoughts & encouragement.
  • DorieAlthauser
    DorieAlthauser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First time posting. I keep a daily blog, but I think this will be helpful for me as well. I have enjoyed the past posts the last few months. Inspiring.

Just for today: I will not eat any refined sweets or anything "white"
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Everything was a miss yesterday. I went home feeling poorly but did most of these things

05-24-2017
    Stay in the green on calories I am ahead in calories for the week.
    Bed by 10:30 I got a nap when I went home
    20 minutes cardio 30 minutes exercise, just no cardio level
    Finish documenting terminal leave process in process. Could not physically finish and go home on time
    If I watch TV - start resume re-write for that one particular job well, nothing good here. But I did tell DH that I was thinking about applying for a job that involved travel.

let's keep today simple

05-25-2017
    • Stay in the green on calories
    • Finish documenting terminal leave process
    • Bed by 11:00
    • 20 minutes cardio
    • Watch Amazing Race finale!
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Pretracked meals/snacks-most of them are logged already but I'll never be 100%.....and that's ok!
    Adjusted calories to around 1,600. Yes-this will be a challenge.
    Going to listen to Half Size Me -webinar was very helpful yesterday.
    Weight lifting-going to ask a FB female lifter I follow for some advice on dealing with muscle soreness. She was actually featured on a HSM episode & totally changed her health for the better. If you want inspiration, check this lady out.
    20 min walk with dog in am with DH.
    Aiming for 150g of protein. Still getting closer.
    20-30 min nap/count 20 breaths slow & deep.
    Drink 8 cups of water.
    Preplan meals with 1,600 cals.

Went out last night with a mom's group & felt completely in control (ordering healthy choice & beverage) which is so rare for me in the past. Maybe it was the fact that I had some protein an hour beforehand. Had I binged, like I have in the past, I would've made unhealthy choices all day today & beat myself up. Instead, i savoured every bite. Ate slowly & paid attention to how full I felt.

Challenge yourself!