Eating under 1000 calories

Options
124»

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    How did you get overweight if now you now have trouble eating 1000 calories?
    I've always had problems with eating food either eating too little or too much and that's basically how I got overweight I had an eating disorder and got down to 7 stone then went the over way and ended up 15 stone, I literally cannot help it

Been there. Done that. Exactly this, in fact. Eat 1000, burn 2500, get down to 7.5% body fat. Get very sick. Eat too much to gain it back. End up with other medical issues.

Please see a doctor. In the meantime, TODAY and only today. Eat 1000. Concentrate on getting to that consistently. Two weeks from now, try 1100 and so on. You can do this. I did this. It may take some anxiety meds or it may only take talking through how you feel about eating.

Best of luck.
  • arose1122
    arose1122 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am a guy that bicycles nearly every day averaging a 500 calorie burn daily and shoot for a 1,200-1,500 daily food intake. I try to cap my net calories under 1,000. I make sure my nutrients are there but its not easy. I think I am pretty much at the bottom of the acceptable.

Yep, don't do this! Why do this? Muscle is hard to build after you lost it all.

I am averaging 80g protein on the 1,200-1,500 calories I do. I just have extreme discipline and don't eat any "bad" food. I average about 40g fiber daily and hit all of my nutrient needs and average 19g sugar daily. It is a narrow dietary window that takes a lot of discipline. But I am a very active person.

Yikes, 80g protein is low. Just today I'll get 154g eating 1200 calories.
  • planetcadillac
    planetcadillac Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well I just checked my long term averages. I am averaging 96g over 30 days and 1,331 calories over that time. 39%C, 32%F, 29%P. I don't eat red meat just stick to pork and fowl. I supplement some with whey isolate and occasional protein bar plus greek yogurt is a regular staple. I have high fiber intake which is a lot of vegetables which I like. I am a bit amazed at people saying 80g is low (not that I argue) I was averaging prior to MFP right around 50 which is close to the 56g that is "supposed" to be my target by the USDA. Right now I am at 40g protein and I am only through breakfast and AM Snack.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    50 is super low, and probably quite unusually so for a man in the US (not that eating like an average person in the US is all that, obviously). 80 g is fine if the reference in the RDA, but if you are losing weight (and especially if you have an extremely steep deficit, like you do), there are strong reasons to keep protein higher -- more like .8 g/lb of LBM as a minimum, or .65 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, with a range of .8-1 g/lb of LBM or .65 g-.85 g/lb of a healthy goal weight recommended if one is both losing weight and active.

Factors to me that would weigh in favor of the higher end of that would be (a) higher deficit (which puts muscle mass more at risk), and (b) being either female or older (both of which again makes muscle harder to maintain, more likely to be lost, and harder to build).

As a 40-something woman who started at 1250 calories, I generally aimed for 100 g (I'm 5'3, and my goal weight was 120). It fit fine, since I also ate lots of vegetables (which are low cal and add some protein).

I also did start eating back some exercise calories when I started exercising more vigorously, which didn't interfere with my losses and allowed me to better protect muscle and avoid burnout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well I just checked my long term averages. I am averaging 96g over 30 days and 1,331 calories over that time. 39%C, 32%F, 29%P. I don't eat red meat just stick to pork and fowl. I supplement some with whey isolate and occasional protein bar plus greek yogurt is a regular staple. I have high fiber intake which is a lot of vegetables which I like. I am a bit amazed at people saying 80g is low (not that I argue) I was averaging prior to MFP right around 50 which is close to the 56g that is "supposed" to be my target by the USDA. Right now I am at 40g protein and I am only through breakfast and AM Snack.

29% of so few calories isn't much to write home about...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    In the past 9 weeks I've lost 33lbs. I have ate under 1000 calories for the last month or so, I just find it really hard to eat more. I average burn about 2,300-2,800 calories according to fit bit. However on a Sunday's I will eat around 3,000 calories. Does this make up for only eating between 600-900 calories a day? I know I sound ridiculous but I'm still 12lbs 'over weight' and I can't seem to force myself to eat more.. has anyone else gone through this? :/

600+900/2=750......x 6 = 4,500 + 3,000 = 7500 / 7 = 1,071.....nope it doesn't really make up for it.

If you can't eat more Monday thru Saturday......how do you manage 3,000 calories on Sunday? Do you see how these 2 statements contradict each other?
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    MFP only gives me 72 of protein per day and I weight 255 currently. I'm 5 feet 10 inches and female. Is that too low ?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Umm wow. That is crazy. Honestly it sounds a little disordered ... Like maybe you need some help. But what do I know.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've always had problems with eating food either eating too little or too much and that's basically how I got overweight I had an eating disorder and got down to 7 stone then went the over way and ended up 15 stone, I literally cannot help it

What's your plan for maintenance if you cannot find a way to eat a little bit more now? I think that shifting your focus to the long term instead of the short might be helpful.

Yeah this.

You said you either eat way too much or way too little and you "literally can't help it." So what that says to me is that you've given up taking any responsibility for how you eat and you've committed to having horrible eating habits forever, going from skinny to fat to skinny to fat, over and over again.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sophie7591 wrote: »
    MFP only gives me 72 of protein per day and I weight 255 currently. I'm 5 feet 10 inches and female. Is that too low ?

Better to start your own thread -- people aren't going to see it in this and answers get confused.

However, MFP's goal is percentage-based (20%?) and so 72 would be the default you'd get at around 1440 (if my memory of the default percentage is correct). A better way to calculate it would be based on LBM or, if like most people you don't know it, somewhere between .65-.85 g per lb of your healthy body weight (not your current weight). At 5'10, a pretty average healthy BMI is 155, so to preserve muscle mass (along with doing weight-bearing exercise, of course), a good safe protein goal would be at least 100 g. It's not necessary, but it might be helpful if it's something you can manage.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

What's your plan for maintenance if you cannot find a way to eat a little bit more now? I think that shifting your focus to the long term instead of the short might be helpful.

Yeah this.

You said you either eat way too much or way too little and you "literally can't help it." So what that says to me is that you've given up taking any responsibility for how you eat and you've committed to having horrible eating habits forever, going from skinny to fat to skinny to fat, over and over again.

I actually think what it says is that she has an eating disorder, which is a mental health issue and she needs help.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I wonder how on earth you had 33lbs to lose if you find it "hard" to eat more than 1K cals. Weird. Anyway congrats on the loss of your lean mass!

Yeah, this ignorant comment is wicked helpful to the OP. Great input. Thumbs up!

I'm not sure saying what she's doing could be ok is great advice either...

The advice as a whole here is usually good, the people with greater sensitivity and experience on eating disorders make their point clearly heard.

We do have to assume the OP is an adult with some discernment, and not beat up every responder who doesn't get eating disorders.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    slim1156 wrote: »
    georgiamaxine1, i have been in the same place that you are now. i was always overweight. one day, in my early 30's, i decided didn't want to be overweight anymore. i started eating less and less as my appetite waned. before i knew it was happening, i was anorexic. i was eating way too few calories and not even realizing it. (at that time there were no sites like this one to help keep track of what you ate). i started therapy and had to show my therapist a list of what i ate daily. eventually, we got it straightened out. however, i put on a lot of weight because when i would track, i found it difficult to see that i was eating 1200-1500 calories each day. i was much more comfortable with 600-800. now i'm in my 60's and i still struggle. too much or too little; it's hard for me to find a happy medium. sometimes i have to eat a cupcake or something similar just to get my calories to an acceptable level.

so, understanding what you're going through, i beg you to please seek out help before you end up hospitalized. it's not a fun experience, believe me.

i wish you all the best and look forward to hearing about your progress.

good luck. <3
    Thank you for sharing with me, I was ''anorexic'' 4 years ago, I'm 5'10 and was around 7 and a half stone, im exactly how you are.. I can't ever find a happy medium :( thank you I will go and see a doctor x

Yes, please see a doctor... Eating disorders aren't easily 'curable' due to the mental component--you are still showing signs of disordered eating.
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    slim1156 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing with me, I was ''anorexic'' 4 years ago, I'm 5'10 and was around 7 and a half stone, im exactly how you are.. I can't ever find a happy medium :( thank you I will go and see a doctor x

i'm going to add you as a friend and keep in touch to hear about your progress. anorexia is like alcoholism--you're never "cured', just in recovery. we have to work so much harder than others.
    Thank you, that would be really helpful.. I agree completely x