Options
2»

Replies

• KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm confused about how much you're eating and what your TDEE (not BMR is). How much are you trying to lose a week?

I'm not sure about all that, the calculator linked put my energy needs at 1798, is that TDEE? At this stage I'm just trying to maintain my weight and stop having these blood sugar crashes. I'd like to get to a point where I feel like I can eat less and/or exercise more so that I can drop 5kg to be in my healthy weight range but with these symptoms I just don't feel that's possible right now.

Bear in mind I'm still effected by monthly migraines (hormonal), IBS, depression+anxiety (I'm on meds for this) on top of all this! Not saying that I can't overcome all this (I can and will!) or that I'm worse off than anyone else but much of the time I feel like I'm taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back in the path to getting well... It's all quite overwhelming at times!

• WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I cheat and take a dose of Bronkaid on days where I dont feel full. Wouldn't really recommend it for the long run, but it's a life saver to me. It makes me not want to eat for 6 hours. No hunger pains or cravings.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We often get hungry due to our body craving specific micronutrients. I don't see a lot of protein (macro nutrient) in your daily eating. If you are vegan/vegetarian I would reccomend getting a brown rice based protein shake to get your protein intake up. I get similar symptoms if I don't get enough protein (I now personally aim for 175-225 grams a day depending on activity.)
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I deal with hypo. What helps is eating 5 small meals a day, spaced out 3 hours. I consume a low GI diet, meaning I stick with carbs that are slow digesting (whole wheat, veggies, low sugar fruit) paired with a protein or healthy fat. It has totally turned things around for me. If you do have refined sugar/white flour, pair it with some sort of fat or protein. If you have a piece of fruit, pair it with cheese or PB.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    RDahling wrote: »
    That breakfast and mid morning snack are a recipe for disaster for someone with hypoglycemia.

I've done it when I've had periods of low blood sugar and haven't had an issue with it. Curious why you think it is a "recipe for disaster."

Oatmeal and fruit = pretty much all carbs.
  • KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That breakfast and mid morning snack are a recipe for disaster for someone with hypoglycemia.

I've done it when I've had periods of low blood sugar and haven't had an issue with it. Curious why you think it is a "recipe for disaster."

I often add coconut (both dried and milk) and chia seeds to my oats so it's not ALL carbs. The fruit I use is either blueberries or banana. I guess I could stir in some almond meal or sliced almonds and/or psyllium husk to try and up the protein?
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options

What you are forgetting is the fibre content. Oatmeal is a good source of fibre, both soluble and insoluble, which means that any carbohydrate break down will be more gradual, allowing the energy to be accessed over a larger period of time. Same goes for blueberries as well as bananas, particularly green ones, which also add resistant starches.

Take a look into high fibre diets and hypoglycemia - it's the not the disaster you envision.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

What you are forgetting is the fibre content. Oatmeal is a good source of fibre, both soluble and insoluble, which means that any carbohydrate break down will be more gradual, allowing the energy to be accessed over a larger period of time. Same goes for blueberries as well as bananas, particularly green ones, which also add resistant starches.

Take a look into high fibre diets and hypoglycemia - it's the not the disaster you envision.

In my experience, it was though, but I guess we're all different (it might depend on the type of oatmeal though... instant vs steel cut).
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    This has worked for me as well.
  • RDahling
    RDahling Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it was though, but I guess we're all different (it might depend on the type of oatmeal though... instant vs steel cut).

Perhaps - I know that hospitals routinely provide oatmeal for diabetic and hypoglycemic patients that stay over (whether for observation, illness, or post-surgery). There may be other factors that make it a trainwreck for you, but the standard dietary criteria for hypoglycemics and diabetics is high-fibre carbs. You may, for example, have other issues with digesting fibre that led to your negative experience or, as noted below, you may have been using instant oatmeal packets that contained added sugars.

A quick check on differences between steel cut vs. rolled/quick oats:

"Nutritionally, steel-cut oats and quick oats are the same, with the exception of instant oatmeal packets, which often contain added sugar. The main differences between the two lie in taste and texture as well as cooking time. Keep both on hand in the kitchen for various uses, including breakfast cereals and baking needs.

Steel-cut oats and quick oats have the same nutritional profile because they're both made from whole oat groats. In general, both contain 74 calories, 3 grams of protein and 2 of grams fiber per 1/2-cup serving, according to registered dietitian Leslie Beck, author of "Foods That Fight Disease." The nutritional value may vary greatly, depending on the brand, however. Steel-cut oats and quick oats are high in vitamins E, B-1 and B-2. Eating three servings of whole grains, including steel-cut oats or quick oats, reduced the risk of having a heart attack or dying from heart disease by 30 percent, according to Harvard University's Nurses' Health Study. A 2007 study found that women who ate two to three servings of whole grains daily were 30 percent less likely to develop type-2 diabetes than those who rarely ate whole grains. Although steel-cut oats and quick oats are nutritionally identical, watch out for instant oatmeal cereals, which usually contain large amounts of sugar and sodium."

For more info, check out this article on The Relative Benefits of Steel-Cut vs. Quick Oats.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    THe conventional advice for hypos is to eat more often and consistently, along with never eating carbs alone.

But I did read about another approach that has worked well for me. I cant vouch for the science or explanation so much, but it might be worth a try. I believe it is only for reactive hypo (after meals).

The concept is that when you start eating, your body releases insulin. It expects you to eat a full meal, so it sends out enough insulin in anticipation to counteract a FULL meal. If you dont eat a full meal (i.e. snacking, grazing), you now have too much insulin floating around and your blood sugar tanks. So eating smaller meals more often is actually counterproductive.

Now it could be only certain people, especially those with a history of large meal eating trying to switch to more frequent smaller meals are more affected, since their body has been "trained" to expect a large amount of food. I dont know - it seems reasonable?

In any case, to experiment, plan 3 larger meals with NO snacks (split your calories fairly evenly between them). Do the usual combining of protein and fat for sure (not just carbs). Low carb may help? Try to stick to that for a few days and see if it gets better. By eating a full large meal, you "use up" the insulin (i know that is not how it works!) and keep your blood sugar stable.

I fully expect to get push back on this :) Its not my idea, just something I tried and found some success with. You might at least research some other options if the suggestions above to do not help much.

THIS has worked 4 me as well. :)

lost the quote somehow.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I also had this. We call it feeling "blood sugary."

We now eat protein and/or fat at every meal, and have no more problems. Whole-milk yogurt, fruit, and nuts. Or eggs and whole wheat toast.

Oatmeal (even steel cut) and fruit did not work for us.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

It's my experience as well. If we are talking about a more gradual breakdown, even though oats are an OK source of fiber, I don't believe that oats are considered a slow carb food like legumes are, or are a low GI food. AFAIK, they are considered a medium GI food. Eaten in isolation, maybe the percentage of fiber in the total amount of carbs is too low for some of us to prevent feeling blood sugar crashes. It's still mostly carbs. And from what I have read, patients with hypoglycemia are told to eat complex carbohydrates paired with protein. Pairing oatmeal with adequate protein makes a huge difference for me.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Another thing it might be worth doing is going to the doc and getting a blood test for celiac disease, too.

It's a gut disorder that has been increasing in the population. However, most doctors look for symptoms that over 1/3 of celiacs don't have: gut issues. But huge number of celiacs DO have anxiety and/or depression, and massive amounts of fatigue. Some get headaches and joint or muscle pain, even. And as the disease involves the body attacking the gut so you slowly start absorbing less and less of your food, feeling starving too quickly is a problem, and if you have any blood sugar issues, they are exacerbated by the inability to absorb food like you should, as well.

It's just a blood test (and you HAVE to make sure to eat a lot of whole wheat before the test, at least 2 slices daily, or the test is inaccurate), and if that's positive, you can decide to go further with more testing, or some people just go for the treatment: an allergy-level avoidance of gluten and gluten cross-contamination (but again, it will make the test invalid if you do this before testing). But the diet is pretty intense for a celiac (it's more than just going gluten free), so you don't wanna do it if you don't have to, usually.

Good luck!