Can someone explain "Is My Scale Broken"

Options
I weigh 168.4 & 5' 4" I want to lose 30 lbs. I have followed MFP calorie schedule 1700 always under about 300. I burn on average 500 calories a day with a workout in the evening 6 days a week. I don't eat my calories back. I started this workout 5 weeks ago. I have lost 3 inches on my waist & I can see my stomach & butt is shrinking etc. I feel better & stronger but the scale has not budged at all. It's really starting to make me wonder is my scale possessed :/ looking for answers please!! Thank you

Replies

• Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last year. Everyone commented on how much thinner I was looking, but the scale wouldn't budge. However, at the same time I was losing fat, I was gaining muscle. You might also be retaining water in your muscles from the new workout. Be patient and you'll see the numbers fall!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely you burn 500 calories in a workout!
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Why not? According to Runtastic I burn anywhere from 750 to 850 calories running 5 miles.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Why not? According to Runtastic I burn anywhere from 750 to 850 calories running 5 miles.

Yep. I run 5 miles and burn about 300 calories. Why do you think?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    So many questions:
    • Have you replaced the scale's batteries lately? Tested it with something of known weight such as dumbbells or a multi-gallon water jug?
    • Are you weighing your food or eyeballing/estimating/using package info/believing restaurant info frequently?
    • What is that 500 calorie workout, and how do you estimate the calories? (My spin bike said 700-something for a hour class today, which makes me LOL uproariously to even consider - heart rate monitor said 371 . . . for an intense hour that left me dragged out in the short run, despite being a long-term active person and athlete. 500 is certainly possible, even though you're not extremely overweight, but 500 is quite a large number).
    • No so-called cheat days or breaks in logging or over-goal days in that 5 weeks?
    • Logging all oils used in cooking, tastes and bites while cooking, condiments, beverages, etc?

In 5 weeks, I'm sorry to say that you won't have gained enough muscle to offset a significant fat loss. Under optimal conditions - which include a calorie surplus, not a deficit - a woman would be doing very well to gain a quarter pound of muscle on average per week while doing an aggressive, progressive, well-designed weight-lifting program with muscle gain as its explicit goal. You absolutely can get stronger and "tighter" in 5 weeks, however (and exercise is worth doing to retain as much existing muscle as possible while losing weight).

Some people do hang onto water weight with new exercise, and women's time of month can also trigger water weight gain (at any time from ovulation through menses), so you may simply have had water weight masking fat loss for a small number of weeks . . . if so, you should see a scale drop soon, possibly substantial.

It's also possible that you have a (statistically) unusually small calorie requirement, but it's far more likely that there's some issue with logging and calculation, so anything you can do to tighten up food logging will help you to figure out whether that's a factor.

I'm truly not trying to be discouraging - you can do this, and patience is a big part of it!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

Not that it is accurate (I hope it is because I use Runtastic) but "a work out" is not very specific
  • moonstroller
    Options

I think it's because you are considerably smaller than I am. That and the fitness trackers we're using are most likely not 100% accurate. Why do you think?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Whoah - that's a lot. You must be pretty fast.
  • moonstroller
    edited May 2017
    Options

Getting faster, but I think it's mostly because of the hills, there's an elevation gain of around 600 feet. I hope it's that and not that Runtastic is way off on calculating calories burned.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I think it's because you are considerably smaller than I am. That and the fitness trackers we're using are most likely not 100% accurate. Why do you think?

That was my thought too! Yay!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

or up some BIG hills. Never heard of such a burn for only 5 miles. My 5 miles always around 300.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Getting faster, but I think it's mostly because of the hills, there's an elevation gain of around 600 feet. I hope it's that and not that Runtastic is way off on calculating calories burned.

You can double check using this: http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

or invest in an heart rate monitor...
  • moonstroller
    Options

I'm interested to see what it reads when I'm in much better shape and go a lot faster. I've noticed Runtastic tends to err on the side of time, so when I go slower and longer it shows a higher caloric burn than when I go faster and quicker. Personally I think I should be burning more calories pushing myself to run faster. I'm sure it's related to whatever logarithm Runtastic uses given the particulars I've entered for height, weight, sex, and age. I know it's not perfect, but it should be ball park, or at least close enough for my purposes.
  • mitchell_maya1705
    mitchell_maya1705 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You may be losing weight and gaining muscle. It can be a good thing. Don't focus on the scale and keep eating healthy foods. You got this!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm interested to see what it reads when I'm in much better shape and go a lot faster. I've noticed Runtastic tends to err on the side of time, so when I go slower and longer it shows a higher caloric burn than when I go faster and quicker. Personally I think I should be burning more calories pushing myself to run faster. I'm sure it's related to whatever logarithm Runtastic uses given the particulars I've entered for height, weight, sex, and age. I know it's not perfect, but it should be ball park, or at least close enough for my purposes.

If you're losing weight, don't worry about it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Or heavy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You may be losing weight and gaining muscle. It can be a good thing. Don't focus on the scale and keep eating healthy foods. You got this!

No