Mom of 6 having trouble exercising..HELP!!

Options
Hello, I am the mother of 6, and I need to get rid of this baby fat!!! I am having trouble finding the time to get into a fitness or exercise routine. I walk at work during lunch, but other then that I can't find the time to do anything else. When I try to do a workout DVD I have kiddos at my feet, either wanting something or trying to do the workout with me, which would be fine, but we are normally bumping into each other. I also have so much to do when I am home (laundry, cleaning, cooking ect) Does anyone have any advise for me, I thought about joining a gym ,but I don't want to take too much time away from my kids seeing as I'm at work all day....Please if anyone has any advise that would be great!!!! I really want to be healthy for my kids & my hubby, but can't seem to find the time!!! Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help-Julia

Replies

• FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Take the kids to exercise with you! take them swimming, to the park, running, play catch :')
    I'm sure you'd burn even more than normal having to chase 6 kids around during the activity! :O
    OR find clubs the kids like... gymnastics, football etc - try to get it so they all overlap and while theyre having fun there you hit the gym :)
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    What you are already doing - the laundry, cleaning, walking etc... how about put some more energy into it? Put some music on when you are doing the house work and dance along to it whilst you clean, how about walking quicker, to increase your heart rate or use the weights that you can strap to your ankles to make ti harder work? Every little thing help, move your feet under the desk at work, take the stairs instead of lift, if you use the car, park further away from the shops or your work :)
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    TRY DOING WALKING LUNGES AROUND THE HOUSE ON YOUR WAY TO THE RESTROOM OR KITCHEN, THEN KIDS CAN LINE UP BEHIND YOU AND COPY. DANCE AROUND TO MUSIC WITH THE KIDS, JUMPING AND HOPPING AND ACTING GOOFY. DO LEG LIFTS WHILE COOKING, OR LIFT ARM WEIGHTS WHILE WAITING FOR LAUNDRY OR DINNER TO COOK.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Is there a a local gym that has child care or children's classes? The kids could do that while you workout.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    How long is your lunch workout? I only average 30-40 min of exercise 5/6 days a week and I've lost 69lbs so far. The first 6 months it was just basically walking too (now I'm running, and biking etc because I like it).

So you don't have to exercise for a LONG time every day to lose weight. MFP is set up that you choose how much weight you want to lose a week and there is a built in deficit in the calories so that you know what you can eat even if you don't get your workout in and still likely lose weight.

I just have one child (4.5) but he does work out with me a lot. I take him to the park and then I do laps, or monkey bars etc too! He's better at some of the ab videos than I am LOL.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, the only things that seemed to work for me besides taking my son out in the heat and walking is to put in Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and doing a hard 20 min. work out right before my son wakes up. Sometimes if he's already awake I can talk him into letting me do it before cartoons, he's 2.

I know it's way more difficult with 6 children...but if you can find 20 minutes that your not doing house work or napping (i know naps are precious) then that DVD would be great!
  • merbear12
    merbear12 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a member of Gold' Gym and they actually have a "day-care" facility right at the gym. They watch your kids while you get to exercise! Membership is about $39.99 a month and all the classes are included (which is great). Definitely something to look into!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The 30 DS is a 20 minute workout. I'm NOT a morning person but waking up 30 minutes earlier. To get in some exercise. Is totally doable.
    I've just finished the series. And saw GREAT results. Plus the DVD is pretty cheap.
    Good luck :)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I work out after my son goes to bed. If you're already working out at lunch though, I agree with PP that you can lose weight. You do not need to work out 3 hours a day and burn 1000 calories a session (contrary to what other people may say on here).
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Wow 6 kids! Isn't that enough exercise:)))))) That is a dilemma. First off I think it's wonderful that you are walking on your lunch, that is certainly a start. That in addition to being on this site will help keep you motivated, inspired and give you ideas. As for working out at home - depending on how old your kids are you could 'bribe' them. That's what I used to do with mine. I would say just give Mommy 45 minutes and when I'm done we'll have a treat (get ice cream, watch a movie together, play outside together). Also do you have a significant other to help watch the kids once or twice a week so you could get a good uninterupted work out in? Or if you have a friend who is interested in fitness and has kids too.....you can do a babysitting swap. You watch her kids while she works out, and vice verca. Also many gyms have babysitting...and the kids really do enjoy going there.

It's also good to get the kids used to the fact that Mommy needs a half hour a few times a week for exercise....it's sets a good example for healthy and fitness for them.

Best of luck to you!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    One of my other MFP friends found a local family gym where kids and parents can work out. I think the kids mostly play and the parents workout, but hey, if you could find one of those in your area it would be a great way to teach your kids about taking care of their bodies. We not only have to do this for ourselves, but for our kids too so that they can avoid the health issues we have experienced.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Do active things with the kids (at least the older ones). I would also suggest joining a gym because as Mom of 6 you really need that hour to yourself on a regular basis. I know you said the gym would not work, but if there's some way you can squeeze that into your time and your budget (have someone else watch the kids when you go) it will do wonders for you physically and mentally. Just remind yourself that hour is YOUR time. If joining a gym does not work, take a fitness class (even try something new like martial arts) a few times per week. Find a friend or neighbor to watch the kids when you go to your class. Give an hour to yourself! It will make a world of difference (even if it is tough to do logistically).
  • CrystalleahW
    Options
    Hello, I am going threw almost the same thing but I only have four :) I work 50 hours a week or more and between home and the kids and hubby and our world there isnt enough time every day, but my husband went to a used sports store and bought me an ellipitical real cheap,every other day i just round up the kids get them in an activity and run for it~ jump on for atleast 30 minutes and i also bought some little free wieghts and a jump rope.I have just been including them in what I do and at first it was a stop and go process but its starting to become a routine, they love to see me happy and i love that im showing them heathly habbits.
    we can all play outside jump rope or walking or swimming. its hard :) but you can do it if you can juggle six kids a job and a hubby you got what it takes trust me~ Crystal
  • emom21
    emom21 Posts: 13
    Options
    I feel your pain. My oldest in particular thinks that when I'm doing a DVD it's "20 questions" time. I solved it by getting a kids workout DVD and doing it with her, but throwing a few squats, etc, in. She thinks it's special play time, which it is, and I know I'm getting the extra boost I can't get otherwise. Plus, it's permission to be silly, which is also good for your health!

If you need time away, I read someone else's post somewhere that "an hour away at the gym gains more years with them in the end." That changed my thinking altogether!!

Good luck!
  • wan2b_fatfree
    Options
    I have 4 kids...one a 4mth old...THANK GOD she sleeps through the nite. When I lost weight before, I found my ONLY real time to have "me" time was when the kids went to bed. This would result in workouts from 9-10p or 10-11p. or all of that time. I would only allow myself to watch TV at night while on my gazelle...walking as fast as I could or doing resistance training, etc. You really have to be creative with kids and yes, getting them out and active is a GREAT excuse to be active and silly all in one. Take your kids to the park and walk circles around the play area or jog...lunges, etc. Who cares who is watching... maybe those people will get up and join you :)

The ideas of leg lifts while cooking rocks!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    One of my other MFP friends found a local family gym where kids and parents can work out. I think the kids mostly play and the parents workout, but hey, if you could find one of those in your area it would be a great way to teach your kids about taking care of their bodies. We not only have to do this for ourselves, but for our kids too so that they can avoid the health issues we have experienced.

I agree! My gym also has a kids program and childcare for when the adults workout. I love seeing whole families go to the gym together! And of course there are areas adults go with the kids like the pool.
  • niresupernova
    Options
    I do not yet have children, but I wake up at about 5 AM do do my workout. It sucks waking up that early, but that way I don't forget or get too busy throughout the day. Maybe your kiddos are still sleeping then and that will help??
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I work out by myself during the week. But on the weekends I pack up all my kids and take them to the pool or beach. Getting a zoo organized and on the road burns calories let me tell you. Also anything that you are doing with the kids that burns calories also makes them tired at bed time:wink: just saying. You have to choose to make it exercise first in life not last in order for you to make it happen. Mother of three with a full time job and on call hours:bigsmile:
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Try fitting it in the am. Then on your lunch 3 days a week you can go to the gym and run for 20-30 min. This is what I do. I only have one child she's 2 but I like to do it in the am to get it out of the way. I have been going on my lunch and running it breaks it up to.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Fitness starts with what you put in your mouth, or what you don't put in your mouth. Eating is eighty percent of the fitness battle, and physical activity takes up the remainder.Therefore, diet is where you need to spend the majority of your time, and not spending it in some gym that takes quality time away from your six kids and husband. When you prepare meals, wash clothes, clean house, and all the stuff that mommas do, you're getting plenty of physical activity. If you want to work your arms, take a broom, and knock the cobwebs off the ceiling, whether it needs it or not, dust the appliances, and sweep the floor. Wash the dishes by hand, and do toe-raises as you're doing it. Put some music in the stereo, and dance throughout the house with the kids, and let them know how happy you are that you can do this, lose weight, look good, and still be a momma that's there when they need you. And if you do all of this, take in the recommended amount of calories the program suggests, you'll look lean and fit without worrying about some gym somewhere that wants your money, even on the days you don't go.