Cut Carbs and Gained unbelievably intense muscle spasms

Options
This is my second time using this app :-) I'm on day 5 and the more carbs I cut the worse muscle spasms I'm having. I mean those flying out of bed, cursing and hopping around as my calf muscle is knotted in a ball of hardness.
The ball of my foot and toes are pointing to Mars, contracted in a contortion of uselessness!
As I hop and jump around in a madness of acrobatics trying to release the knotted up tight ball, I cuss, beg and plead gravity will accept my so called distorted foot that is an odd shape of twisted bone and flesh that resembles anything but a foot.
After that horrifying, intense and unexpected cardio workout, I climb back in bed, get cozy just for it to happen again and again.
Not only is it in my legs/feet but my arms/hands too. WTH!
I'm perplexed! Why this is happening? All feedback is much appreciated!
* I do have flexeril but it's useless :-(

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and salt
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you are going to do low carb with for instance intense cardio or long aerobic workouts, you'll probably have to do better nutrient timing and at least take the carbs you will eat after the workout so the muscles can be replenished.

This is besides the electrolyte issue.

But I've had nights after a long bike ride where I drank plenty on the bike, and afterwards, for electrolytes, but because of the late ride just couldn't eat enough calories in general, which included enough carbs. Cramps that night especially bad.

What are your workouts - besides the night time hop-along?
    And do you stretch after those workouts?
  • truckluvingurl
    truckluvingurl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain which has landed me at the pain clinic/injections, etc.. I'm on some serious pain meds for this pain and in an attempt for some quality of life!
    I have been eating pickles, cream cheese wrapped in ham so I know I'm getting a fair share of sodium.
    When I've taken the potassium and magnesium vitamins, my spasms were a lot worse.
    I am a redhead and many things affect us differently, maybe this is one of those things too!??
    Maybe my central nervous system is so out of whack it doesn't know what to do!
    I've been a patient at the pain clinic since 2009, here's the meds I'm on
    75 mcg fentanyl change every 48 hrs instead of 72hrs
    10/325 percocet 6 daily
    10mg Valium as needed for anxiety
    10mg flexeril 3 a day as needed
    800 mg ibuprofen twice a day or as needed
    100mg trazadone to sleep
    No one can even tell I'm on anything at all because of my immunity to it and yes that's a redheaded thing too. Needless to say I don't have a workout regimen. I am in the process of packing and moving and what a pain staking chore that is! Maybe it's all because of a lack in workout and I'm moving more now than I was. IDK! It's just not fun! I'm so confused!
  • truckluvingurl
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ahhh livingleanlivingclean might have nailed it, maybe it's something to do with being dehydrated! I'm going to check into that!
    Thanks for your post!
  • truckluvingurl
    Options
    Heybales I for sure have to be very mindful when it comes to any cardio or vigorous activity. I have issues with my sugar dropping dangerously low and most certainly had to adjust to the situation! Thanks for your post!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Magnesium, electrolytes and avoid tight shoes. (Especially tight from the sides)

I get these a lot. Had one an hour ago.

I have found that during a cramp a hot water soak helps A LOT.

P.S. I'm pretty sure it is not related to the carbs.
  • heybales
    Options
    Moving could easily be an additional reason.

Usually lifting things out in front of you more (even if you hug a box) causing a need to use the calves more to prevent tip over until you can lean back to counter-balance it.

That could be a lot more calf use than you would normally get in life if workouts are generally a good idea right now.

Sorry to hear about the attempt at recovery and meds, that's never good. Any of those have side effects related to that?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I'm a Keto lifer and I struggled with the kind of intense calf/foot cramps you describe here on a daily basis for nearly 2.5 years until only recently. I tried everything and I do mean EVERYTHING (supplementing additional electrolytes: magnesium, sodium, potassium, calcium, applying magnesium "oil" (not really oil - that's just what they call it) topically, using magnesium soap in the shower, taking natural calm at night before going to bed, Epsom salt baths, electrolyte drinks, etc.) .

Recently, another MFP user shared the following information with me and bless her heart, it has worked wonders for me so I'm sharing it here with you:

In the following order combine:

(1) 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar;
    (2) 750ml (a little over 25 ounces) of water; and
    (3) 1/2 Tablespoon of Baking Soda.

Mix well. Keep the bottle in arm's reach near your bedside. Drink a few large swallows at night before you go to bed. Repeat first thing in the morning when you wake up. Taste isn't the greatest, but it works for me. The one time I failed to plan properly and ran out of this stuff, that day and only that say since using this mixture, got a leg/foot cramp that particular morning! LOL :D That'll teach me to be more mindful of this liquid gold in a bottle. ;) Hope this info helps.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Why not just eat carbs?

My thoughts exactly. That would be my first step. When eating more protein made my digestive system protest, I ate less protein and found a different way to eat to lose weight.

On another note, when my calves are tight my feet cramp like crazy. It's even worse when the seasons change and I'm transitioning from close-toed shoes and boots to open-toed, less structured shoes and sandals. Bananas, magnesium supplements, water, and stretching/foam rolling my calves, shins, and arches of my feet help.
  • alee145
    alee145 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try a shot of pickle juice. I know you said you've eaten pickles, but drink the actual juice. It's been known to stop cramping in SECONDS.
  • heybales
    Options
    I wonder if I could fall back asleep after taking a shot of pickle juice?
    I wonder if a shot of something more interesting to help with taste would still allow it to be effective?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ahhh livingleanlivingclean might have nailed it, maybe it's something to do with being dehydrated! I'm going to check into that!
    Thanks for your post!

If you are low in electrolytes, and add more water, that can make it worse. Just something to be aware of.

Unless you are taking more supplements in sodium, pickles and ham everyday may not be enough sodium.

I honestly did not believe the sodium recommendations. I still had the old "restrict sodium" dogma in my head. I had headaches and really bad muscle cramps. within 2 weeks. After adding a teaspoon of salt to water and drinking broth, it went away within a day or so.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I am on Keto / Paleo and I have many of the same issues you described.

I found that adding more healthy fats - especially organic animal fat, peanut butter, coconut oil made a difference. Also, when I am cramping up, I eat grass fed butter and it seems to help.

Some other things to try for pain:
    • Desiccated thyroid (Armour or NP Thyroid): https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/how-to-find-a-good-doc
    • Believe it or not, a lot of chronic pain, insomnia, anxiety, other symptoms are related to poorly functioning thyroid.
    • If your hands are cold all of the time and if your body temp is lower than normal, it just may be your thyroid.
    • DLPA: https://www.afpafitness.com/research-articles/dlpa-natural-relief-for-chronic-pain
    • It takes a while to work, it has to build up into the optimum dose; it's a dopamine uptake inhibitor
    • I like the pure encapsulations brand. Expect to build up to / take up to 3000 mgs daily. DO NOT stop it once you are feeling better, you will crash. This was the first thing that made the pain manageable with out narcotics.
    • Melatonin: https://draxe.com/melatonin-dosage/
    • This stuff is amazing and seems to work well with trazadone and my doc recommended it.
    • I get the "bulksupplement" powder and use those tiny plastic scoops.
    • It's between 50 mg to 75 mg at one time. It also makes going #2 pretty easy.
    • Oleamide: https://examine.com/supplements/oleamide/
    • This may be a game changer for you.
    • There is anecdotal evidence (from people who have used it) that were able to wean themselves off of some of the pain medications.
    • I tried some last night with my trazodone and it helped with staying asleep longer (I wear a FitBit so I know when I am awake).

Finally, check out the website: https://www.yourhormones.com/adrenal-fatigue/

I realized that "adaptogenic" herbs were not going to fix me; I have chronic insominia / suffer from PTSD. By dosing myself with a low dose of desiccated adrenal (80 mgs.) for several months I am even mood wise, I don't startle as easily, and, I am not as emotional. In other words, I react normally to stress.

Good luck and friend me if you want! :smiley:
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I am strcit keto, have been for 14 months. I put pink himalayan salt in every bottle of water and drink that throughout the day. No more spasms. Good luck.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I agree talk with your doctors it could be something medical