Medication notorious for weight gain.

Options

Replies

• PandaTami
    PandaTami Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    been on high dose fluoxetine as i have premenstrual dysphoric disorder. it took getting used too but its worth it. all different meds cause gain in different people. try it and see how you feel. mine is a life saver.
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would keep a notebook and track your experience while on the medication so you can share it with your doctor. Make note of any perceived changes you experience, good or bad, and also track what you eat and when and if there were any elements affecting those decisions at the time (impulse, emotional response, etc.). The more information your doctor receives the better decision they can make in regards to your treatment.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I've just restarted taking fluoxetine for anxiety and depression again (been off and on different meds for 17 years) and have taken other drugs before, the key is to keep a diary and being mindful of what you're eating and you should be okay, it may increase cravings but it won't magically increase your weight. I do like fluoxetine but it's not unusual to have a few ups and downs for the first couple of weeks so stick with it (don't worry you won't necessarily get downs but just so you're aware) I don't know if you can but regular exercise has also helped me alot.

As for low fat, low carb I've seen a few studies that it's mostly pointless for weight loss (apart from athletes who need to micro manage their macros) however higher protein can help with both satiety and lean mass retention whilst losing weight, so apart from calories, protein is the only macro worth making sure you try to hit. I imagine the people doing low fat low carb are having alot of protein so that's why its helping them but you don't need to be restrictive with your other macros as long as you get a good amount of protein in, no need to punish yourself. :)

Good luck x

low carb isnt pointless. its actually beneficial to some who have type2 diabetes,pcos,insulin resistance and so on. keto also for these issues as well as some seizure disorders.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've just restarted taking fluoxetine for anxiety and depression again (been off and on different meds for 17 years) and have taken other drugs before, the key is to keep a diary and being mindful of what you're eating and you should be okay, it may increase cravings but it won't magically increase your weight. I do like fluoxetine but it's not unusual to have a few ups and downs for the first couple of weeks so stick with it (don't worry you won't necessarily get downs but just so you're aware) I don't know if you can but regular exercise has also helped me alot.

As for low fat, low carb I've seen a few studies that it's mostly pointless for weight loss (apart from athletes who need to micro manage their macros) however higher protein can help with both satiety and lean mass retention whilst losing weight, so apart from calories, protein is the only macro worth making sure you try to hit. I imagine the people doing low fat low carb are having alot of protein so that's why its helping them but you don't need to be restrictive with your other macros as long as you get a good amount of protein in, no need to punish yourself. :)

Good luck x

low carb isnt pointless. its actually beneficial to some who have type2 diabetes,pcos,insulin resistance and so on. keto also for these issues as well as some seizure disorders.

Sure, sorry, as a PCOS sufferer myself I should've made that clarification that with PCOS sufferers and special cases this may not apply, I was referring to those who don't have a specific insulin resistant or other metabolic medical condition.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Good luck x

Sure, sorry, as a PCOS sufferer myself I should've made that clarification that with PCOS sufferers and special cases this may not apply, I was referring to those who don't have a specific insulin resistant or other metabolic medical condition.
    And yes, my doctor is now testing for a seizure disorder so I guess it explains why I function so well on low carb. I don't necessarily think I need to stay low fat though, I think healthy fats are essential to staying sane on low carb.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I would keep a notebook and track your experience while on the medication so you can share it with your doctor. Make note of any perceived changes you experience, good or bad, and also track what you eat and when and if there were any elements affecting those decisions at the time (impulse, emotional response, etc.). The more information your doctor receives the better decision they can make in regards to your treatment.
    Good advice, I am tracking in MFP which is more than I usually do so I'll start with that

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Track track track track and track some more. The only medication that can cause metabolism issues as far as I'm aware is quetiapine where there are reports of some people developing metabolic syndrome. Beyond that it's the appetite increase and if drowsiness/sedation is an effect then obviously that will result in a lower requirement of calories due to not moving around so much.

I lost weight whilst on the antipsychotic I am talking about above and am still losing on a medication that can have gain or loss as a side effect (yay psychoactive meds!). But because I track there's been no SURPRISE you're getting fat again effects because my calories have remained as they should.

I hope it works for you and if not, carry on on the merry go round of finding the one that does, I'm still trying myself but it's so worth it when you hit the jackpot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options
    My brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for over two years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. He was a pescastarian for about a year and now is eating chicken as well. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Track track track track and track some more. The only medication that can cause metabolism issues as far as I'm aware is quetiapine where there are reports of some people developing metabolic syndrome. Beyond that it's the appetite increase and if drowsiness/sedation is an effect then obviously that will result in a lower requirement of calories due to not moving around so much.

I lost weight whilst on the antipsychotic I am talking about above and am still losing on a medication that can have gain or loss as a side effect (yay psychoactive meds!). But because I track there's been no SURPRISE you're getting fat again effects because my calories have remained as they should.

I hope it works for you and if not, carry on on the merry go round of finding the one that does, I'm still trying myself but it's so worth it when you hit the jackpot.
    I appreciate your positivity :) I believe I'm just going to have to give it all I've got for a bit

• llaurenmarie
    Options
    Yes I'm trying to lose. Until October I had gotten within 8lbs of my ultimate goal. Then a "low" came and my anxiety ate me back about 27lbs. So far I've lost 9 of the 27 gained.
    Took me since October to start losing again because we all know it's so much more mental than physical.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have taken pretty much every form of benzodiazepine and i can *kind* of see where people are coming from. The only real way you gain weight on these drugs is simply from not giving a single **ck about what you're eating.

I remember the first time i took a benzo (.25mg of clonazepam) and i ate a pizza, a box of mac and cheese, a pint of icecream, and then passed out for like 14 hours. Don't worry though, my tolerance built up to this very very quickly and then the dose was perfect; i just felt like myself... without anxiety.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    cant hurt to try, your going in armed with the knowledge it may happen, Youll know the signs and get off it quickly if it does. Just dont let it become a self fulfilling prophecy
  • Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am on a medication which lists weight gain as a side effect, but so far I'm down 29lbs as it has made me more in control of myself and my mind. It's not the same as yours but I think weight gain / increased appetite were near the top of the list and as it has allowed me to have my mind back it has helped me to lose. Best of luck to you.
  • Itsticketyboo
    Itsticketyboo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on the antipsychotics Risperdal (risperidone) & Aripiprazole (Abilify). I found that I gained 70lbs within a year. Previously I had never weighed more than 126lbs with a BMI of around 20. I was also an avid long distance runner (Marathon distance).

Its worth noting that these types of drugs not only effect the way you physically feel. That is to say that weight gain is not entirely due to your mindset or will power. Antipsychotic drugs can severely & arguably adversely alter the way your body works. They can alter your hormone levels. For example very soon after I began Risperidone I began lactating & I went from a small C cup to a large D cup in a matter off weeks. This was due to sky high prolactin levels. (Abilify counters this). AP's can also change the way that your body metabolises fat.

Since changing doctors & coming off the AP I'm loosing around 1kg a week with little exercise. With a healthy but normal range diet.
  • llaurenmarie
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The optimism is super appreciated. I'm on day three and besides a lot of grogginess in the morning I've been feeling so "normal" and it's weird! But I love it. And I've controlled my appetite all the way down to 1200(before it was good if I kept under 2000)
    I do light gym in the morning and try to get 10k.

Keeping low carb and haven't had sweet cravings so far!
    Very pleased so far.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My daughter also takes AP medications. She has gained a lot of weight but I must tell you she just didn't care nor is she concerned. The fact that you are aware and care will make a big difference and because of that I think you will be less likely to gain. Just keep logging your food and stay in your calorie count. Once you get to maintenance you can recalculate how much you can eat. If my daughter would do that really she would be aware of what she is eating, she always has been a big eater but her anxiety ruled her and made it impossible to gain back then.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    My daughter also takes AP medications. She has gained a lot of weight but I must tell you she just didn't care nor is she concerned. The fact that you are aware and care will make a big difference and because of that I think you will be less likely to gain. Just keep logging your food and stay in your calorie count. Once you get to maintenance you can recalculate how much you can eat. If my daughter would do that really she would be aware of what she is eating, she always has been a big eater but her anxiety ruled her and made it impossible to gain back then.
    Sorry about your daughter, hopefully she will have an aha-moment like I have had... a few times.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm on flunarazine for chronic migraines and the main side effect is increased appetite (as opposed to weight gain). I've lost 94lbs in spite of it.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm on an absolutely absurd amount of medication for my bipolar disorder- almost all the meds cause weight gain. My Pdoc gave me metaformin right from the start. It doesn't cause weight loss but it dose help keep my appetite in control. I know lots and lots of people are against weight loss meds on MFP but have an extremely honest conversation with your doctor once you know how you respond to the meds. Good luck!
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I'm on an absolutely absurd amount of medication for my bipolar disorder- almost all the meds cause weight gain. My Pdoc gave me metaformin right from the start. It doesn't cause weight loss but it dose help keep my appetite in control. I know lots and lots of people are against weight loss meds on MFP but have an extremely honest conversation with your doctor once you know how you respond to the meds. Good luck!
    I've never heard of metformin but I suppose if I'm okay for now I'd try to stay away from appetite suppressants. Then it would be harder after I'm off them.