In need of help with vegetables...

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    do you like soups? I make all sorts of bean soups and just shove veggies in. Kale and spinach are great fillers.
  • The only soups I like are chicken and oxtail, the tinned ones. lol I'm very basic.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Zucchini really has no flavor on its own so that might be an easy one to start with. Season it to your liking (I like garlic salt and Italian herbs) and just saute it (you can chop it or slice it-leave the peel on) in about a tablespoon of olive oil. It only takes a couple of minutes.
  • _tannyw
    _tannyw Posts: 26 Member
    In your swede and carrot mash, chop up really small and cook some spinach to chuck in - you'll barely taste it, and after a while you'll be able to build up the portions more and more
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Those bags of mixed carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli are very good roasted with some minced garlic, a tablespoon of olive oil, and salt-free seasoning like Mrs. Dash. Sometimes I add a small bag of new potatoes to the mix, just cut them into smaller pieces so they cook at the same rate as the veggies do.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    My lunch today.. 85g Mixed greens rough chopped, 50g green/red bell pepper chopped, 25g red onion chopped, 50g broccoli florets chopped, 50g cucumber with peel chopped/sliced, 50g cherry tomatoes chopped/halved, 1/4 cup 2% shredded fiesta cheese, 1 boiled egg chopped, 4 deli thin slices of land-o-lakes brown sugar ham, chopped, 4 tbsp skinny girl honey mustard dressing. 250cals total, 24 carbs, 7g fiber, 22g protein, 10g fat. Huge salad. Very filling, tasty, and good for you. Embrace salads, they are wonderful.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    ...If you like eggs, adding grated zucchini helps beef up the eggs a bit and adds a little flavor (without it actually tasting like veggies)- I make omeletts and scrambles with eggs, the grated zucchini, ham, cheese (and if you're willing to give it a shot, maybe add some diced bell pepper and onion). ...
    Sauteed onion has a very similar texture to the eggs, so if you leave it in the pan and pour the beaten egg in over it, frittata-style, the onions can be part of the omelet. It adds flavor, nutrition, and volume without adding many calories. You can add a pretty generous amount and the eggs will still hold together.

• My lunch today.. 85g Mixed greens rough chopped, 50g green/red bell pepper chopped, 25g red onion chopped, 50g broccoli florets chopped, 50g cucumber with peel chopped/sliced, 50g cherry tomatoes chopped/halved, 1/4 cup 2% shredded fiesta cheese, 1 boiled egg chopped, 4 deli thin slices of land-o-lakes brown sugar ham, chopped, 4 tbsp skinny girl honey mustard dressing. 250cals total, 24 carbs, 7g fiber, 22g protein, 10g fat. Huge salad. Very filling, tasty, and good for you. Embrace salads, they are wonderful.

That sounds like an awesome filling meal, I just need to like the food first, and then I'll be having this!
    Maybe not the egg or cheese or mustard.. most of it I will be having
  • hannahland18
    hannahland18 Posts: 10 Member
    Go all out! Make something fancy!!! I literally love every vegetable in the world but I understand that's not true for all people. For example my nephews were always really weary of anything green. But by getting them to help me in the kitchen or pick out their own side dish and cook it they slowly but surely began eating like I do. It's always fun to try new things and experiment with recipes and techniques. Just have fun and remember to go for big bold beautiful colors and see what happens! Hope this helps!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member

That sounds like an awesome filling meal, I just need to like the food first, and then I'll be having this!
    Maybe not the egg or cheese or mustard.. most of it I will be having

I like eggs on salad, but you could easily double the ham and skip the egg. I do it for added protein. Cheese I can take or leave, but I usually put it on if I have it. The fat in the cheese helps keep you full longer. You can also add nuts (my wife likes sunflower seeds) but they add calories. For a crouton substitution we use wonton strips when they are handy, they come in several flavors but also add carbs/calories.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited May 2017
    I agree with all the other suggestions of roasting veggies...it lends a great flavor. I find an easy way to add veggies is grating cauliflower and tossing it with stuff. They even have pre "riced" cauliflower in the frozen veggie isle. I add it to chilli, scrambled eggs, taco meat, lasagna. Spinach would be another easy one to incorporate into chili or lasagna.

I know this is a low carb recipe, but I've made it for my family and even my old school grandparents, and they love it.
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_like_stuffed_baked_potatoes.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    try making roasted sweet potatoes! take 3-4 sweet potatoes, drizzle them with 1 or 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, add sea salt and pepper (and any other spices you'd like), then put them in the oven at 375 for 40-50 minutes. turn them halfway through so they get cooked evenly. when potatoes are cooked, they undergo a chemical change from starch to sugar so they'll be naturally sweet. also try to avoid using butter and stick to using healthy fats instead :)

you can also add spinach to berry smoothies and you can't taste it at all!

I love roasted sweet potatoes!

@jenniferlouisewilkinson5971 you could start with just sweet potatoes, and then add carrots or Brussels sprouts as well as you get more advanced ;)

Good for you for wanting to try new things :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2017
    Personally, I like most of my vegetables raw. When I do cook them, I tend to cook only until tender, not mushy. That being said, cubed carrots and beets with a thin coat of olive oil and rosemary roasted, are amazing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Kohlrabi is another good one. It's a bulb with leafy greens attached. Cut off the greens (you can keep them to steam/wilt if you'd like.) Then peel the bulb and slice it thinly. I eat it raw, sometimes with a sprinkle of salt.

Yeah, good idea. I really enjoy radishes raw too, with a bit of salt.
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    My daughter loves carrott, celery, cuecumber or pepper sticks. She is a very fussy eater. I can also keep some in my handbag to eat insted if cake!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    On soup, try a good cream of broccoli or broccoli and cheese. Also just a chicken noodle with extra vegetables or a minestrone.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    On soup, try a good cream of broccoli or broccoli and cheese. Also just a chicken noodle with extra vegetables or a minestrone.

I love homemade vegetable soup. So many great options!
  • Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    To help our son get veggies in when he was so picky we steamed then pureed veggies and hid them in our spaghetti sauce.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I really dislike most vegetables, but have found a lot of ways to work them into my diet. Try stir frying them and cooking them pretty thoroughly.

Just this week I stir fried chopped onion, zucchini and asparagus in olive oil, and after they were all well cooked and very soft, stirred in udon noodles and added soy sauce and a bit of garlic powder for flavor.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    I don't think anyone's mentioned green beans! Really, the most basic of veggies. Tinned, with onion and either ham or bacon chopped up in them, simmered for a while on the stovetop, the standard of old-time veggies to eat with anything. In fact, if you cook boiled new potatoes with ham chunks and green beans and some onion, it's a full meal. Very southern USA. I like the fresh ones steamed until tender/crisp with just some sea salt sprinkled. They can be roasted too - try tossing them with some minced garlic and a little olive oil and spreading on a baking sheet.