Avoiding DOMS

Options
I'm restarting back at the gym (after a 2 year injury break) next week and I'm a bit worried about the aftermath of working out. Recently any time I do any kind of leg work I end up with DOMS. I even get this after physiotherapy sometimes.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? When I went before I'd go a couple of hours after lunch, drank at least 1 litre of water during my workout and then a protein shake afterwards. I've read a couple of articles that say drinking a protein shake pre-workout is more helpful than post-workout for avoiding pain.

What works for you?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In general, more frequent leg work is going to mean less DOMS. If you are doing it 2+ times a week I would think that the DOMS will decrease greatly as time goes on.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Basically, don't do too much too soon. The more used to your routine you get, the less sore you will be. Increase gradually.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    In general, more frequent leg work is going to mean less DOMS. If you are doing it 2+ times a week I would think that the DOMS will decrease greatly as time goes on.

I only get DOMS when I take too much time off. I suck it up the first go-round, and then I'm good to go.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Never understood what this was until I lifted for the first time Tuesday.

I am certainly understanding the definition of it now in my biceps.

Hoping consistency will help with how i feel today.
  • senorajoselina
    senorajoselina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There's not much you can do to avoid it. Learn to LOVE it!! It means you're getting stronger. :-) Mind over matter...
  • madeline2904
    madeline2904 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller which really helps
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Guess I'll just need to muscle through lol