Why did it take me so long to figure it out (Weight Watchers)

Options

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If it actually worked in the long term then they'd be out of business. They want and need people to come back again and again. It's a scam.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    What I liked about weight watchers was the accountability with the weekly meeting and weigh-in. If they focused more on calorie counting rather than excluding foods, it would be a winning combination.
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    The mystery to me is the people that pay for WW, but do online only. I understand the value of the social components of the meetings, but not how a paid app is better than a free one

For me it was just not knowing that free apps that are as good or better than WW online even exist. Like the pp, I can't go to meetings and weigh in due to work and young family of five. Online was the best option. I'm so thankful I found MFP.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I did weight watchers in the 80s. What I remember is feeling "fat shamed" at meetings, because I only wanted to lose 10-15 pounds and I was not obese. The leader never called on me in meetings, and every time I walked in I got the eyeball from everyone else there. I also remember the trauma of being perfectly on track with my points and exercise, but showing no loss, or even a GAIN at weekly weigh-in, which was completely de-motivating. I now weigh several times a week, am more in tune with my body's natural fluctuations and have learned a TON more stuff from MFP.

That's one reason I never did meetings - there was no way in h.e.l.l I was weighing in front of anyone. :# But honestly, my sister did it for 6 months and never felt *shamed*. I know many people that did WW years ago, and had no such experience. I think yours was probably not the norm.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    If it actually worked in the long term then they'd be out of business. They want and need people to come back again and again. It's a scam.

Almost no weight loss, including MFP works in the long term for the majority of people. Almost everyone on every plan, including this one, will regain the weight. That doesn't mean it's a scam. It means keeping weight off long term is really, really difficult.

It only works if you keep working at it. I disagree that almost everyone will regain the weight. I haven't. I lost 60, many years ago. I did gain back almost a third of that, (now have lost almost all of it) only because I stopped logging food and was not tracking - I know I have to do that in order to maintain. So yes, it IS difficult for most of us that have the problem of overeating, I agree. If you want it bad enough, however, it is certainly doable.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    "everybody" and "almost everybody" are slightly different. Statistically, almost everybody regains. That doesn't mean no one has ever successfully kept off weight.
  • ParisPrincesse
    ParisPrincesse Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    KM0692 wrote: »
    I have been going back and forth between WW and calorie counting since the beginning of the year, unable to decide which is the better program for me. Well, last night I finally figured it out. There is NO way that Weight Watchers would work for me long term.

Calorie counting is so much simpler, and it's sustainable. I had been thinking in the short-term, not the long-term. I need to learn portion control, and yes, Weight Watchers teaches you this, but they are just too restrictive when it comes to treats. Do I really want to go to a birthday party and not be able to eat a slice of cake because it's almost my entire day's worth of points? No, I want to be able to work that cake into my day and with calorie counting, it is so much easier to do so!

I have NO idea why it took me this long to "see the light"! I cancelled my WW account tonight.

Omgosh you sound just like me. As we speak I am going back & forth trying to decide which is better. Calorie Counting does make so much more since. Plus I am online only, so why pay for that?!
  • Dabbadooey
    Dabbadooey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do they still advertise as not being a diet?