"Bread" Replacement Ideas?

oddjenn
oddjenn Posts: 4 Member
What is something that is low calorie I could use in place of bread while making a sandwich? I have no hate towards bread other than it does little to fill me while being higher in calories than what I'm typically putting on it. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Sarah Lee makes several types of bread that is lower calorie (45 cals per slice). We like the Multigrain for the fiber content, 2 slices = 90 cals. Otherwise, we've done plenty of lettuce wraps using butter lettuce. We don't do it to avoid carbs, but just to avoid the extra calories of a corn/flour tortilla.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    I buy some La Tortilla Factory wraps that are 70 cals each... I get them at some low carb specialty store because they use them because they have tons of fibre and 5g protein (and while I'm not low carb, I do appreciate sparing calories and increasing protein and fibre where I can)

My regular grocer carries them and they are DELICIOUS better than regular tortillas.

Other choices like said are lettuce wraps

Or if you're feeling adventurous you could make bread substitute out of different ingredients with a google search. I've seen "healthy" breads in the normal bread isle as low as 40 cals per slice as well.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I buy some La Tortilla Factory wraps that are 70 cals each... I get them at some low carb specialty store because they use them because they have tons of fibre and 5g protein (and while I'm not low carb, I do appreciate sparing calories and increasing protein and fibre where I can)

My regular grocer carries them and they are DELICIOUS better than regular tortillas.

Other choices like said are lettuce wraps

Or if you're feeling adventurous you could make bread substitute out of different ingredients with a google search. I've seen "healthy" breads in the normal bread isle as low as 40 cals per slice as well.

My regular grocery store also has them and I love them. I make pizzas on them sometimes. I also use Sandwich thins, I think they are 100 calories.
  • LABBabycantbetaken
    LABBabycantbetaken Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    If it's a savory sandwich this may not work, but you could make thin, flourless, low-carb pancakes and use those as bread. Mixing a banana, and an egg together will make the pancake, but you can add other stuff like peanut butter, and put jam in the middle of two 'cakes for a Pb & j.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Xtreme Wellness tortilla wraps are also fantastic. High in fiber, burrito-sized, and only 50 calories.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Ezekiel Bread - it is gluten free and much better for you
  • ladypoohbear
    ladypoohbear Posts: 2 Member
    I don't eat bread. Makes me feel icky
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Rice paper or nori sheets. I love lettuce wraps too. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla. It's a burrito-sized wrap that delivers Omega-3, fiber, and only 50 calories. Put all your fixings in it, roll it up, and do yourself good.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I use red cabbage leaves for wraps. They're a little more substantial than lettuce. Nori (the seaweed you wrap sushi in) is another option. A lot of people use roasted slices of cauliflower but I haven't tried it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I have not tried this but have always thought it was a creative idea:

935d7d0455ee0fcf7c564ea5c98cb6d0.jpg

I've tried it. The cucumber is so slippery I could never get any of the spreads to stick. Frustrating, lol.

I second low carb tortillas/flatbread. La Tortilla Factory, Flat Out, Tumaro's... bunch of options out there.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Mission Carb Balance (available in many sizes and whole wheat, white, etc.) While it still has carbs, there are a HECKUVA lot of fiber in these, so it's a better bang for your nutritional buck.