Too much fruit?

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fruit can act just as bad as candy....if you're not careful!

I was told to eat the following fruits by our trainer at work:
    -Caneloupe
    -Honeydew melon
    -Blueberries
    -Blackberries
    -Raspberries
    -Apples
    -Pears

Avoid the following:
    -Bananas
    -Strawberries
    -Grapes

Hope this helps!

Why does your trainer recommend avoiding bananas, strawberries, and grapes? What do you do if you want to eat a fruit that isn't on either list?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Strawberries are usually considered one of the "good guys". I did see a study referenced yesterday that said that fruits like apples and pears in your diet had a slight protective affect against diabetes and tropical fruits like mangoes and pineapple had a slight detrimental effect. Quantities matter greatly though I expect. The study talked about differences in men and women too.

Personally I'm not going to stop eating mangoes or pineapples, although I am motivated to eat more apples than I do now.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

-Caneloupe
    -Honeydew melon
    -Blueberries
    -Blackberries
    -Raspberries
    -Apples
    -Pears

Avoid the following:
    -Bananas
    -Strawberries
    -Grapes

Hope this helps!

Why does your trainer recommend avoiding bananas, strawberries, and grapes? What do you do if you want to eat a fruit that isn't on either list?
    I'm wondering too. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the calories, sugar content, fiber, or glycemic index or glycemic load.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    v_hetu wrote: »
    One rule of thumb is to "eat the rainbow" (as opposed to taste the rainbow with Skittles) so as long as you are finding a good balance between fruit and veg and eating a wide variety of each, that is going to be nutritionally optimal. I will generally eat 3-5 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of veg, with my ideal being 10 servings a day. So for today as an example, my breakfast and lunch consist of 3-4 ounces of red salsa, orange sliced bell pepper, a large serving of yellow winter squash soup, green granny smith apple, green romaine, and a bag of freeze-dried blueberries (I didn't plan a rainbow, I was just particularly colorful today).

Regarding your comment on protein--for me, since I lift weights and in general am extremely active, it's important to hit a high level of protein (100+ grams) to retain/build muscle, and just for general glossiness of skin, hair and nails, along with higher satiety. You can do a lot of tricks to work in vegetarian-appropriate protein throughout the day; for example, I will add 5 ounces of 0% greek yogurt to my squash soup instead of sour cream. So just a public service announcement to not shirk on protein.
    Thank you so much for your guidance ! I may steal some of your breakfast mentioned above !!

The salsa is the breakfast part, and I eat it with 150-ish grams of scrambled eggs. Not sure if your vegetarian diet includes or excludes eggs or not, but again, it's a great way to get protein (15 g) AND a good portion of veg, and it is very filling for 240 calories.
  • v_hetu
    v_hetu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Fruit is a weakness for me. It is "healthy" but you have to understand that fruit is very calorie dense. It's easy to get too many calories eating fruit. Veggies that's not going to happen easily at all.
    Dried fruit or fruit juices might be calorie dense, but whole fruit isn't calorie dense at all. Meats, dairy, grains, beans, and nuts are all more calorie dense. Starchy vegetables are comparable. The only other kind of food that's less calorie-dense is non-starchy vegetables. Because it has a lot of fiber and water in it, it's very hard to eat too many calories from fruit. Just as an illustration, a bowl of cereal has more calories than a whole medium cantaloupe. Three saltine crackers have more calories than a large orange. And a McDonalds hamburger (the size they serve to kids) has about the same number of calories as two large apples.

If you're eating a lot of fruit and still getting too many calories, it's likely to be coming from the other foods, not the fruit. Eating a lot of fruit could be a problem if you have some kind of health condition or if you are neglecting to eat other healthy foods, but otherwise it's not likely to be a problem.
    Strawberries are usually considered one of the "good guys". I did see a study referenced yesterday that said that fruits like apples and pears in your diet had a slight protective affect against diabetes and tropical fruits like mangoes and pineapple had a slight detrimental effect. Quantities matter greatly though I expect. The study talked about differences in men and women too.

Personally I'm not going to stop eating mangoes or pineapples, although I am motivated to eat more apples than I do now.
    Absolutely !! And especially now it's summer, so mangoes are big in this season. And there is so much we can prepare with ripe and unripened mangoes like mango salads and salsa and mango chutney for spread..

• v_hetu
    Options
    One rule of thumb is to "eat the rainbow" (as opposed to taste the rainbow with Skittles) so as long as you are finding a good balance between fruit and veg and eating a wide variety of each, that is going to be nutritionally optimal. I will generally eat 3-5 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of veg, with my ideal being 10 servings a day. So for today as an example, my breakfast and lunch consist of 3-4 ounces of red salsa, orange sliced bell pepper, a large serving of yellow winter squash soup, green granny smith apple, green romaine, and a bag of freeze-dried blueberries (I didn't plan a rainbow, I was just particularly colorful today).

Regarding your comment on protein--for me, since I lift weights and in general am extremely active, it's important to hit a high level of protein (100+ grams) to retain/build muscle, and just for general glossiness of skin, hair and nails, along with higher satiety. You can do a lot of tricks to work in vegetarian-appropriate protein throughout the day; for example, I will add 5 ounces of 0% greek yogurt to my squash soup instead of sour cream. So just a public service announcement to not shirk on protein.
    Thank you so much for your guidance ! I may steal some of your breakfast mentioned above !!

The salsa is the breakfast part, and I eat it with 150-ish grams of scrambled eggs. Not sure if your vegetarian diet includes or excludes eggs or not, but again, it's a great way to get protein (15 g) AND a good portion of veg, and it is very filling for 240 calories.
    This is a great reference. I will definitely try this out. I do not eat eggs at all however I can always use black beans in portion as a substitute. And I have also heard that spicy food is actually good in the morning because it enhances mood, so hot salsa will be a great to incorporate in my morning breakfast ! Thank you!

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of fruit with every meal and one as snack, sometimes two. So 5-6 pieces a day. As long as I don't get the runs from to much fiber, I figure I'm good.
  • v_hetu
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    I eat a piece of fruit with every meal and one as snack, sometimes two. So 5-6 pieces a day. As long as I don't get the runs from to much fiber, I figure I'm good.

Thank you! That was my intake too on fruits. I thought they are a better choice when it comes to fiber and sugar cravings. I also add fruit with my each meal such as after lunch, breakfast, dinner and of course as snacks. I would choose fruit over any snack bar or protein bar..
  • v_hetu
    Options
    0esqm6mvqcdo.jpg
    This is for our thread for today !! Sharing a little cheer !!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    0esqm6mvqcdo.jpg
    This is for our thread for today !! Sharing a little cheer !!

mmm apple fritter...
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a medium-glucose snack. Strawberries are cool (100% Vitamin C with a cup of them). Grapes --- not even Vitamin C and Vitamin B.

• sp1219
    sp1219 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    v_hetu, to chime in, I also recommend that if you are eating higher sugar fruits (yum, mangos and bananas), it's good to pair with a protein. For instance, if I'm on an empty stomach, I eat a few almonds first before eating the piece of fruit.

I love sweets; I am in Indian and it's in my blood! A good piece of fruit in season is a lovely substitute for me. In the end, I'd rather eat too much fruit than too much chocolate or ice cream.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a medium-glucose snack. Strawberries are cool (100% Vitamin C with a cup of them). Grapes --- not even Vitamin C and Vitamin B.
    Do you mean that grapes aren't as nutritious? If that's it, there's a lot of scientific research showing a variety of health benefits from grapes' many phytonutrients. They're one of the most-studied foods. Here's just one article.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3916869/

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

-Caneloupe
    -Honeydew melon
    -Blueberries
    -Blackberries
    -Raspberries
    -Apples
    -Pears

Avoid the following:
    -Bananas
    -Strawberries
    -Grapes

Hope this helps!

There's something wrong with this list - it doesn't contain cherries. It can't be a list unless cherries are included as acceptable. I'm fine with avoiding bananas though - yuck!
  • v_hetu
    Options
    sp1219 wrote: »
    v_hetu, to chime in, I also recommend that if you are eating higher sugar fruits (yum, mangos and bananas), it's good to pair with a protein. For instance, if I'm on an empty stomach, I eat a few almonds first before eating the piece of fruit.

I love sweets; I am in Indian and it's in my blood! A good piece of fruit in season is a lovely substitute for me. In the end, I'd rather eat too much fruit than too much chocolate or ice cream.

This is great ! I do eat almonds but as snacks. For example, between breakfast and lunch, I will eat like 10 kernel of almonds which is like 70 calories. And for the second snack between lunch and dinner I eat a fruit or fruits like an orange, apple or cup of grapes etc.. but I will definitely take your suggestion into consideration. I am getting some great ideas. I have also started to walk with my changing eating habits and I walk about 4-5 miles.. trying to do better!
  • everstrong55
    everstrong55 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't eat too much,haha. Even drinking too much water is bad. Love is about restraining yourself.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Do you mean that grapes aren't as nutritious? If that's it, there's a lot of scientific research showing a variety of health benefits from grapes' many phytonutrients. They're one of the most-studied foods. Here's just one article.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3916869/

Aren't grapes healthy from all the wine they make? Seriously?? I feel healthier every time I drink down a few grapes >:)