Am I setting out to aggressively?

First of all, I already talked to my doctor and while she's great with all my other (not weight related) issues she has never been good at giving weight or diet advice other than "you need to lose weight". I ran all the tests recently for all the obesity related illnesses and passed with flying colours but I know I need to get down to a healthy weight since I won't always be so lucky.

I'm 5'10, 296 lbs, 26 female who isn't very active yet but does a lot of walking for my job. I can't afford a gym membership right now and between work and my high maintenance puppy I'm busy from 8 am until 7:30 on weekdays. Goal weight is 175 since that was my high school weight and with my frame that was very small (size small shirts, size 10 pants- very pear shaped. My grade 12 prom dress was size 8 and taken in twice)

I was already slowly losing weight again before I joined MFP again, but the thing that kicked me into high gear is the news that sometime in 2018 my cousin is getting married in Jamaica. I think it's going to be a spring wedding, giving me less than a year to get ready, and I'd really love to be closer to 200 lbs by that point. That plus the fact I'm too broke to buy clothes in my current size means I really wanna aim for high weight loss now.
Is it okay to be a little more aggressive with weight loss when you're over 120 lbs past your goal weight? I'm thinking about aiming for closer to 2.5-3 lbs/week until I get down to 250 and then slowing it down to 1 or 2 lbs a week so it's more sustainable. Is that a terrible idea and I should just stick to the 2 lbs/week? Or does the fact I have so far to go mean I have a little wiggle room since my metabolism is still high and I can lose a ton eating 1400 calories?

Any tips on macros would also be appreciated. I have no idea what are good targets.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    You might see some big losses in the first week, but without exercise, 1-2 lbs is probably realistic. Keep in mind, body fat % reductions is what will make people look good, so I'd at least aim for 100-130g of protein daily to help with muscle retention; aim for 20-30g of fiber for health and to satiate you. If you do some body weight resistance training, it will support muscle retention which can help sustain metabolism (although, you will have a natural reduction in metabolic functions since you will need less muscle to sustain a 170lb body vs a 296 lb body). It might be worth it, to have what is called a refeed day or a maintenance week every 3-4 months. This is where you would bump up calories to around maintenance. This can help prevent or limit some down regulation in metabolic functions. After that week, you come back down into a smaller deficit.

BTW, www.fitnessblender.com has a bunch of free exercise videos.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    I think 1400 is a bit aggressive at your weight. Remember, you have to stick with your plan for 1-2 years to get to your goal and then maintenance. I started at 267 (although 5'5") and about 1750 which was only the 1 lb a week deficit. However, because of the exercise, even eating a good amount of exercise calories back, I had larger losses the first 6 months or so. You will also have a much better chance of sticking with it. Trust me, you'll miss those calories when your weight loss continues and your calorie goal drops. Good luck and enjoy the process!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I was already slowly losing weight again before I joined MFP again, but the thing that kicked me into high gear is the news that sometime in 2018 my cousin is getting married in Jamaica. I think it's going to be a spring wedding, giving me less than a year to get ready, and I'd really love to be closer to 200 lbs by that point. That plus the fact I'm too broke to buy clothes in my current size means I really wanna aim for high weight loss now.

Is it okay to be a little more aggressive with weight loss when you're over 120 lbs past your goal weight? I'm thinking about aiming for closer to 2.5-3 lbs/week until I get down to 250 and then slowing it down to 1 or 2 lbs a week so it's more sustainable. Is that a terrible idea and I should just stick to the 2 lbs/week? Or does the fact I have so far to go mean I have a little wiggle room since my metabolism is still high and I can lose a ton eating 1400 calories?

I think 1% is a reasonable goal, so my opinion (may not be the most popular one) is that that is fine, try it and see. I'd run the figures, as 1400 could be low at your size (I did 1200-1250 at 200+, but am only 5'3 and older). I'd also make sure it's a net number and that you eat back some calories as you start getting more active (I did), and remember that it's going to be a long process that needs to feel good as a lifestyle, so you should prioritize feeling good and making it sustainable vs. quicker losses. I can say that for me even after the first 30 lbs, when I was nowhere near goal, I felt so much better -- you will be surprised at how much it starts to make a difference way before you get to where you will eventually be. Also, of course, you get there faster being consistent at higher calories vs. going unsustainably low and then ending up going way off plan more often (and also that's frustrating).

Good luck! I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed the whole weight loss process once I got into it, as it just felt good to be taking positive steps and accomplishing goals, little by little (and I would set more short term goals too, not just lb-related ones).
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    The choice on how aggressive to go regarding your diet and exercise regime is entirely your choice. Do you have the motivation, willpower, and stamina to maintain a 1,400 daily calorie goal? My personal choice was to go very aggressively while under my doctor's supervision. Is it possible for you to see an MD who specializes in sports medicine and/or nutrition? That's what my doctor does and he's been a great help with managing my diet and exercise.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    When I got aggressive I ate more calories. Why, because I was going to the gym every other day, running 6 days a week (30 miles a week) and doing planks daily. I was shedding three pounds a week easy. You mentioned the budget is limited so if I were you I would find some exercises you can do at home and start doing a lot of walking. Start slow and keep building. After it becomes a habit you will enjoy it and feel great.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think your goal is fine.

While it is often quoted that 1-2 pounds a week is a good rate, 1% of bodyweight is fine and safe. You are greatly overweight and I think that your goal is reasonable. I usually say that I lost 52 pounds in 52 weeks but the truth is that I went from 202.5 to 152 (50 pounds) in 10 months. Considering that you are starting at an even higher weight and a higher weight means more initial loss, I think that you could be somewhere around 200 within 10 months (by somewhere I'm saying +/- 10 lbs.) I just did the math and if you were to lose 1% per week, you'd hit 200 at 40 weeks. It would be good to schedule in a few one week breaks but I think that your plan is doable.

I do agree that you should aim to get enough protein and try to include some sort of resistance exercise. However, that could be working toward doing bodyweight squats, etc. at this point. Don't feel like you absolutely have to be in the weight room if it's not possible.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Sounds too aggressive to me. More than 2lbs per week is not good, and can lead to malnutrition and injury/fatigue. I'd stick with 1lb per week for your calorie goals, then if you want to lose more, simply do more exercise. That has the benefit of making you more fit along with the extra pound of weight you might do with exercise (to the tune of an extra 500 calories per day of additional exercise to lose an extra lb a week). But you will find, even 2lb per week is really hard to sustain long term and can still lead to fatigue/injury.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    If you're on your feet alot and walking your dog than 1400 may be a little aggressive if that's gross cals since that doesn't sound like you're sedentary, I don't think your goal of losing 96 in less than a year is too aggressive overall, and since you're aiming for 1% a week seems safe enough, just see how you go, and add more cals if you think the restriction is unsustainable. :)

As for macro's the most important one is keeping your protein up (I fail at this and should take my own advice more) it'll make you feel satiated and will help you retain more lean mass/muscle whilst you're losing (fats and carbs are not as important unless you have a specific health condition that would require them to be restricted). You also don't need a gym membership if you want to do strength training you can do it at home using your own body (lots of people can give you routines on the fitness forum if you're interested or just google) and maybe with a set of resistance bands for arm exercises. :)

Also, also, if you haven't already, invest in a electric food scale (mine cost >£10) and liquid measures (and remember to log everything even beverages and condiments). :)

Good luck on your journey x
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    First, good for you doing it NOW. I'm old enough to be your mom...53...and 5'10", 298.5 as of this morning. I started at 305 a couple months ago. I'm losing slowly but steadily at 1900 calories! I'm quite sedentary, but am getting in some walking and elliptical and I do the gym twice a week. All my schedule allows.

I also have TWO Boston Terriers! ;) High maintenance indeed! They do get calmer with age. lol Your pup will love long walks with you!
  • tenilleless
    tenilleless Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I've been doing 1500 calories or so right now (with 200 calories added whenever I have to go out with friends). It's been fairly easy this time and to be honest I was 240 lbs a year and a bit ago so I remember what a difference it was to be at that weight. I'm perfectly fine with having to be uncomfortable now so I can be more comfortable later, and I'm sick of worrying about busting out of my clothes. I'm thinking I'll stick out 1500 for a few weeks and then judge if I have to go down. I don't wanna yoyo like I did last time so I will go slow and steady eventually, but it's too hard being at this weight so I just want to drop down a little bit before I do this "the right way".

I'm going to look more into workout tapes but it probably won't happen for a while. I used to be into lifting but without any money for equipment or anyone else around me I don't wanna push it. I do get lots of walking in at least. Does lifting up tree trunk sized legs count as weightlifting ;)?

There isn't any local sports nutritionists that would work under my insurance, or through the govt, so unless I win the lotto I'm left to the wisdom of this forum. :)
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    For macros goals, i went to iifym.com
  • Spliner1969
    I'm going to look more into workout tapes but it probably won't happen for a while. I used to be into lifting but without any money for equipment or anyone else around me I don't wanna push it. I do get lots of walking in at least. Does lifting up tree trunk sized legs count as weightlifting ;)?

There isn't any local sports nutritionists that would work under my insurance, or through the govt, so unless I win the lotto I'm left to the wisdom of this forum. :)

Your own body weight can be your gym. I've been doing body weight exercise exclusively for almost 2 years now. I have free weights that collect dust in the corner and use a $20 door mounted pull up bar and do pushups, planks, crunches, etc. in my daily routine. It's built plenty of muscle for me and I'm still gaining with it. It may take longer than heavy lifting but honestly I don't care, it still gets the job done, and I have spinal injuries anyway so it keeps me from being injured trying to lift heavy weights.
  • Spliner1969
    For macros goals, i went to iifym.com

+1 vote for iifym.com, it has done me right for the last 2 years as well.