Sugar

Options
mhwitt74
mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
Does going over on sugar but staying on deficit hinder weight loss?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    No, especially if you went over because of fruits and vegetables. The top important thing is the calorie target. How, exactly, you get to it is just your style.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,542 Member
    Options
    The MFP suggested sugar levels are nonsense. Processed sugars should still be avoided however I have two pieces of fruit, porridge and a latte and apparently I've exceeded my sugar intake for the day. Utter nonsense.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are in an actual deficit, nothing will hinder your weight loss. I average 120g of sugar a day, largely from fruit. What is important, is if you do eat some add sugar, that it doesn't crowd your ability to get adequate protein and fiber.
  • david_1988
    david_1988 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Being under your calorie goal is what matters when it comes to losing weight.

MFP's default sugar goal is set to 15% of your total calories, you can change it if you feel it's too low or too high. MFP doesn't distinguish between 'natural' or 'added' sugar because your body doesn't either.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    mhwitt74 wrote: »

No...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mhwitt74 wrote: »

No - it won't hinder weight loss. I now track fiber instead of sugar (no medical issues for me).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No.