I cant believe if I cut back bad food I'll drop weight?

Replies

• weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    I went to the doctor and they wouldn't even give me a reason why I was gaining weight .
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Calorie deficit all the way. If a bar of chocolate, pizza, or a pastry (or whatever) fit in to that, then go for it. I'm with all the PP's that the calorie deficit is what matters. Yes, try and eat healthily and learn to understand macros and the importance of dietary fibre. But other than that, you are changing your habits and for that you need to change to something sustainable.

Today I had deep fried battered fish for lunch, and paired it with raw cucumber, onion and bell pepper. I have had two pieces of dark chocolate, and have also already factored in two G&Ts for tonight. I will then still be left with 191 cals of my normal allowance (I try to not eat back exercise cals).

At the end of the day your body needs a certain amount of calories to function. Now, what you feed your body will affect your overall health (e.g.: Lots of saturated fats, salt & sugar are not good for your blood vessels), but weight loss is absolutely determined by a calorie deficit because it forces your body to find the extra energy it needs by burning the fat your carry around. So in essence: You will lose weight by eating your deficit in the form of chocolate bars. However, from a health perspective I would recommend you don't. But don't cut it out. Learn to log it, which in turn will teach you to control your intake of 'bad' foods.

Life is too short to not enjoy food.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2017
    I went to the doctor and they wouldn't even give me a reason why I was gaining weight .

You know why you gained weight right?

[ETA - should add something here]

If calories in is more than calories out, weight goes up
    If calories in is equal to calories out, weight stays (relatively) constant
    If calories in is less than calories out, weight goes down.

You are doing one of those three things...
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    I've lost over 85 pounds before eating chicken broccoli and lean meats and vegtables and brown rice , I felt great then I ended up eating up something unhealthy I would get so depressed i hate being called fat and donut girl and being obese. My parents ended up divorcing and I ended up eating and binging then get so upset I'd throw it up, I don't make myself do that anymore but it hurts me knowing that I messed up I gained weight . I failed I lost all this weight and felt good .. just to gain 98 pounds in a year. Everyone looked up to me, I was an inspiration to alot of people. I have had older friends tell me this is why I don't loose weight is because you just Gained it back. I want this so bad. I don't want to fail again. I am 21 years old and I have a heart problem due to my weight. It's so sad that just two years ago I was 159 and could run and lift and everything

You are not the only one that has been on this rollercoaster. It is terrible to feel you failed. I get that. I lost 80 lbs (at the time) and was almost to my goal weight only to gain back 100lbs (was heavier than I was full term pregnant with my daughter). That is the issue, you need to learn to love yourself. It is the ONLY body you will have and you need to take care of it. You CANNOT listen to what everyone else says (unless they are a trained professional) when it comes to why you lost/gained/failed.

If someone does not have something encouraging to say to me then I ignore them. Their opinion has NOTHING on me, or where I am at, or why. Yes, I got myself here BUT only I can get myself our of it. Same as you. If you choose to fail again, sad to say, you will. If you choose to persevere and hold your ground then you will, it is YOUR CHOICE!

Make that choice for YOU! TO log your food NO MATTER WHAT YOU EAT. Get in your exercise NO MATTER THE TIME. Get to loving yourself NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS! You need to believe in YOU and YOU will do this!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I've lost over 85 pounds before eating chicken broccoli and lean meats and vegtables and brown rice , I felt great then I ended up eating up something unhealthy I would get so depressed i hate being called fat and donut girl and being obese. My parents ended up divorcing and I ended up eating and binging then get so upset I'd throw it up, I don't make myself do that anymore but it hurts me knowing that I messed up I gained weight . I failed I lost all this weight and felt good .. just to gain 98 pounds in a year. Everyone looked up to me, I was an inspiration to alot of people. I have had older friends tell me this is why I don't loose weight is because you just Gained it back. I want this so bad. I don't want to fail again. I am 21 years old and I have a heart problem due to my weight. It's so sad that just two years ago I was 159 and could run and lift and everything

This is a very common story for those that deprive themselves of things they deem bad or unhealthy while losing weight. Who wants to live the rest of their lives never having a chocolate bar or cookie or some fries or <insert 'bad' food here>?

Eat sensibly. Get proper nutrition. Allow treats. RELAX and enjoy your life.

Can you ask your doctor for a dietetic referral?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

Aside from the basic science part about caloric deficits, surpluses, or balances, it's the mental part that concerns me. I would highly recommend you get some help to deal with attitudes toward food. Not only is there so much misleading so-called scientific info out there, there is misleading attitudes about what healthy people should look like. Here is where you need to really be able to separate facts from feelings and make your decisions based on the right things.

Wishing you well....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It seems like you've posted lots of threads like this, asking about specific foods or "bad" foods. Why is it so hard for you to believe that it is your calorie intake that will determine what you weigh?

At some point, you've got to acknowledge that your feelings -- while they may be strong -- are not always the best guide to reality.

Well everyone says you have to eat healthy to loose weight.

Eating healthy is about overall diet.

That said, you can eat healthy (but for calories) and not lose, and eat poorly (nutritionally) and lose. They are separate things. I recommend trying to eat healthfully, but understanding how weight loss works will probably be helpful for you. (Also, understanding that eating healthfully is about getting adequate nutrients and, essentially, about what you do include in your overall diet, and not about avoiding completely whatever foods you have labeled as bad is important if you do want to eat healthfully.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It seems like you've posted lots of threads like this, asking about specific foods or "bad" foods. Why is it so hard for you to believe that it is your calorie intake that will determine what you weigh?

At some point, you've got to acknowledge that your feelings -- while they may be strong -- are not always the best guide to reality.

Well everyone says you have to eat healthy to loose weight.

But "everyone" doesn't say that. Some people say that because they don't understand how weight loss works (or they're trying to sell you something). Others understand that an individual's weight is determined by their calorie intake relative to their calorie output.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    I feel so upset and bad when I eat something bad bit I still do it.

There is no bad food. You can eat whatever you want as long as you log calories and are under your maintenance amount.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017

I wrote you a private message, but I just want to add if people are calling you those horrible names then honestly you shouldn't even speak to them. That is not helpful. Also, I had eating disorder issues before and still struggle, but I have eaten foods I LOVE and lost a lot of weight doing it.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    I eat chocolate almost every evening.

Last night, because I had the calories to spare, I had pasta.

I suspect that you would label both of these foods as bad. They are not. They satiate my hunger and keep cravings at bay.

Don't panic every time you eat 'bad'. Log it. Then see where it put you calorie wise. I would guess that once that bad food passes your lips you think you have blown it and continue eating whatever it is. You can eat things that are enjoyable to eat, just don't eat beyond satisfaction.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I've switched out a lot of my old snacks for low-calorie alternatives. Popcorn instead of chips. Dry cereal instead of candy. But I make room for indulgences. I make a lot of low-calorie recipes, but I have a hard time pretending that a 74-calorie chocolate coconut truffle is healthy. Doesn't make it a 'bad' food though. Heck, even the 320-calorie pecan bars I made for company can be worked in, though it'll take a bit more juggling and working out and it's probably not worth it. But if I take one, I take one. And they're even low-sodium! (Though decadent in every other respect...)

A treat is not necessarily a cheat. And I've dropped 58 lbs in just under 7 months either despite, or more likely because I make room for treats. There's a big difference between "I can't eat this" and "I can totally eat this if I make enough room for it."
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

Doctors receive little to no training on weight management. As there is likely no medical reason why you gained weight other than eating a calorie surplus, then how could they give you an answer?

At this point - what does this matter? You know what you need to do. Just dig a bit deeper and address your emotional connection around food.

Identify the "bad" behaviors that lead to overeating, make a list of five habits you want/need to fix. Prioritize these 1-5. Scratch off 2-5. Focus on habit #1 and replace a good behavior. Once this behavior is set into your standard routine repeat this exercise.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss not type of food.
    For proper nutrition and satisfaction type of food matters. If you have a food allergy or medical condition requiring you avoid or limit certain foods then type of food matters.
    Drop the good/bad, healthy/unhealthy labels. Look at calories for weight management. Try to get enough protein. Eat several servings of fruits or vegetables a day.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    OP I've sent you a message and everyone has responded to all your recent post.