Medication notorious for weight gain.

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm on an absolutely absurd amount of medication for my bipolar disorder- almost all the meds cause weight gain. My Pdoc gave me metaformin right from the start. It doesn't cause weight loss but it dose help keep my appetite in control. I know lots and lots of people are against weight loss meds on MFP but have an extremely honest conversation with your doctor once you know how you respond to the meds. Good luck!
    I've never heard of metformin but I suppose if I'm okay for now I'd try to stay away from appetite suppressants. Then it would be harder after I'm off them.

Metformin helps control blood sugar levels and is generally used for treatment of diabetes. But yes, I would stick to what you're doctor suggests.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for over two years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, etc. He was a pescastarian for about a year and now is eating chicken as well. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house.

Aside from not enough movement, hospital food can be high calorie depending on dietary needs. I was just hospitalized for hypoglycemia and edema. One day's worth of food came out in the realm of 3000 calories (using dietary staff's portion measurements). Lost weight after swelling came down, but have a few extra to work off.

Congrats on your brother reaching a healthy weight, btw. Mine is unfortunately obese and now prediabetic from his meds. :'(
  • jepierson4
    jepierson4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The am a doctor. Not sure why you were prescribed Zyprexa and I don't need to know. Zyprexa is probably the 2nd worst of all medications that I know of that cause weight gain. Ask if they would be willing to try you on Topamax with it if appropriate
  • jessleon1984
    jessleon1984 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The antidepressant I got put in Zoloft actually stopped me binge eating so I've managed to lose weight ☺️
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jepierson4 wrote: »
    The am a doctor. Not sure why you were prescribed Zyprexa and I don't need to know. Zyprexa is probably the 2nd worst of all medications that I know of that cause weight gain. Ask if they would be willing to try you on Topamax with it if appropriate

Topamax is a scary drug, nick named dope-a-max for a reason. It literally made me forget words. I would get into my car and forget where I was going. I would never recommend someone take this just for the appetite suppressing properties.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Second night after Zyprexa and I have a lot of trouble waking up in the morning. I slept through my gym time /: food cravings haven't been bad but I hope the morning sleepiness goes away..
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Second night after Zyprexa and I have a lot of trouble waking up in the morning. I slept through my gym time /: food cravings haven't been bad but I hope the morning sleepiness goes away..

can you take them a little earlier in the evening? that may help with the sleepiness but then it may not.
  • llaurenmarie
    edited May 2017
    Options

can you take them a little earlier in the evening? that may help with the sleepiness but then it may not.
    I will try it. I just don't want to end up having to go to bed super early every night when I don't get home till 6 ha

ETA: I have taken it at 8pm each night and sleep around 9:30p, I try to wake up at 4 for the gym
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I will try it. I just don't want to end up having to go to bed super early every night when I don't get home till 6 ha

ETA: I have taken it at 8pm each night and sleep around 9:30p, I try to wake up at 4 for the gym

yeah that may be easier said than done
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    The very few people who said the gain was not an issue said they stuck to very low carb and low fat.

It's nearly impossible to stick to a diet low in carbs AND fat for very long. You gotta eat something, and that only leaves protein.

Good luck with the meds. Hope they work well for you, without the side effects.
    I know! I worry about being so restricted but I worry more about falling back to being unhealthy. Not really a happy medium here.

Why are you low fat and low carb? Usually with low carb, high fat is required... fat us important for regulating hormones which can help with anxiety/depression as well as baby body functions to keep us healthy...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm on several meds that list weight gain as a side effect (a couple: lyrica and seroquel plus a few others.) Over 100lbs down. It can be done. The meds increase appetite - eat more fibre, fat and protien. My macros are split equally as carbs satiate me.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    [/quote]

Why are you low fat and low carb? Usually with low carb, high fat is required... fat us important for regulating hormones which can help with anxiety/depression as well as baby body functions to keep us healthy...[/quote]

Not sure you read enough. I said I know that healthy fats are essential to staying sane on low carb.
    I do not limit my fats.
  • jepierson4
    jepierson4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Topamax is a scary drug, nick named dope-a-max for a reason. It literally made me forget words. I would get into my car and forget where I was going. I would never recommend someone take this just for the appetite suppressing properties. [/quote]

Can never predict how people will react to meds. Sorry you had a bad reaction. I was merely pointing out some evidence without into too much detail.

• Jaydensmom0914
    Jaydensmom0914 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, fluoxetine made me feel hungry ALL the time, even after eating! I've come off that (I did gain 40 lbs, not the medications fault, my own for not being able to say no) and I'm now on buspirone and I've lost 20 lbs in the last few months. Much, much happier.

This is where I am at with my prozac. I am on it for postpartum issues and I am slowly coming off but I am now almost back to my pregnancy weight! Yikes! I am so happy I am finally in a place I where I can get off that crap! I don't need OCD and to be overweight. Haha. Anyway, I am happy to hear that you are doing better. I think the weight gain from these meds can be counterproductive when they cause just as much stress as you had before you started taking them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good luck to you, fluoxetine made me feel hungry ALL the time, even after eating! I've come off that (I did gain 40 lbs, not the medications fault, my own for not being able to say no) and I'm now on buspirone and I've lost 20 lbs in the last few months. Much, much happier.

This is where I am at with my prozac. I am on it for postpartum issues and I am slowly coming off but I am now almost back to my pregnancy weight! Yikes! I am so happy I am finally in a place I where I can get off that crap! I don't need OCD and to be overweight. Haha. Anyway, I am happy to hear that you are doing better. I think the weight gain from these meds can be counterproductive when they cause just as much stress as you had before you started taking them.

glad you are slowly coming off the prozac while it doesnt cause the same issues for everyone,for me it caused me to be suicidal(I was on it for depression years ago and not suicidal before the meds).I didnt gain weight but that would have been the least of my worries.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

Actually today has been way less feel good and a lot more irritability/depression? Ugh
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I hope you have better luck with it than I did!! It made me sleepy no matter what time I took, and made my suicidal ideation waaaayyy worse.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

I hope you have better luck with it than I did!! It made me sleepy no matter what time I took, and made my suicidal ideation waaaayyy worse.
    How long did you take it?
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Over the last 2 years I've gained 50 lbs while on Effexor. I just slowly came off of it, and was hoping to have a reprieve from my anxiety but no. I've decided to go back on it, but really be super strict about staying within my calories, and exercising. I usually end up feeling lethargic on it, and after a full day at work I'm exhausted. Unfortunately it works really well for my panic disorder. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one dealing w this.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I believe I've gains 10lbs this month. Crave-inducing medicines and BED don't mix.

Doctor has put me on Adderall for ADHD so hopefully that offsets me a bit.