Anyone willing to help me with my goals?

Options
So, I am a stay-at-home mom and I have no idea what I am doing anymore. Before I had my son weight loss was super easy because I worked all the time but I never learned how I should be eating or working out to lose weight and gain muscle in a healthy way. I WANT to make this change for my son. I don't want him to see me eating fast food and sweets like I used to, or starving myself. I also do not work enough to eat those things without being overweight...But I need help because I have never done this before. Anyone willing to give me advice? Thank you

Replies

• AlexandreaNutter
    AlexandreaNutter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, I just started my weightloss journey about a month ago. I have lost 15lbs. I am on medication to help with appetite, other than I have cut back to a 1000 calorie diet and working out when I can. Believe me I know it can be hard to find time I have 6 kids, just had my last feb28th. You need to take measurements of your shoulders, arms, waist, legs and calves and take your weight. You can find a calculator online to give you the amount of calorie to maintain for your specific age and size. Once you get that decide how many calories you would like to cut yourself down to this will be your deficiet, just to help lose weight based on what you weigh. Set a weekly or monthly goal, be realistic. Once you see the measurments and scale number go down it is very motivating and gets easier. You can download an app to keep track of work outs and gives an estimate of calories burned. 3500 equals one pound. No pain no gain. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Losing weight only requires a calorie deficit. Set mfp to lose weight and eat that many calories.

Using a food scale can be extremely helpful to ensure youre eating the amount of calories you think you are.

I am no expert but from posts ive seen on here if you are breastfeeding you may need to set your calories a bit differently, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help with that, if that applies to you.

Building muscle usually requires a calorie surplus, although some new lifters can build some muscle on a calorie deficit. Regardless being on a resistance program (weight lifting or body weight) while in a deficit is good because it allows you to retain more muscle, and usually makes people more happy with their aesthetic look as they lose.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It's all diet and exercise. Go for a walk, jog, or run every day. If you truly enjoy eating fast food don't cut it out entirely, but have it as a treat for yourself. Pay attention to what you're doing and what you're eating.
  • Jaydensmom0914
    Jaydensmom0914 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Losing weight only requires a calorie deficit. Set mfp to lose weight and eat that many calories.

Using a food scale can be extremely helpful to ensure youre eating the amount of calories you think you are.

I am no expert but from posts ive seen on here if you are breastfeeding you may need to set your calories a bit differently, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help with that, if that applies to you.

Building muscle usually requires a calorie surplus, although some new lifters can build some muscle on a calorie deficit. Regardless being on a resistance program (weight lifting or body weight) while in a deficit is good because it allows you to retain more muscle, and usually makes people more happy with their aesthetic look as they lose.

No, I do not breastfeed so that is something I (thankfully) do not have to take into consideration. Your comment has helped me understand a little better what I need to do. Thank you.
  • AlexandreaNutter
    AlexandreaNutter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, I just started my weightloss journey about a month ago. I have lost 15lbs. I am on medication to help with appetite, other than I have cut back to a 1000 calorie diet and working out when I can. Believe me I know it can be hard to find time I have 6 kids, just had my last feb28th. You need to take measurements of your shoulders, arms, waist, legs and calves and take your weight. You can find a calculator online to give you the amount of calorie to maintain for your specific age and size. Once you get that decide how many calories you would like to cut yourself down to this will be your deficiet, just to help lose weight based on what you weigh. Set a weekly or monthly goal, be realistic. Once you see the measurments and scale number go down it is very motivating and gets easier. You can download an app to keep track of work outs and gives an estimate of calories burned. 3500 equals one pound. No pain no gain. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

1200 calories is the MINIMUM a woman should be eating, you should reconsider the number of calories you are eating. Please disregard if you are under some medically supervised diet.

I have done research on that and yes you are correct, I wasn't advising she do that, that is what I am doing and yes I am medically supervised. I am doing this while meeting my nutritional needs thank you for your insight :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose?

Plug your stats into mfp. The less weight you have to lose, the slower the loss should be. (I'm only set to lose 0.5 pounds a week and actually aim to lose a bit less than that). Try to fit in some exercise when you can. Buy a food scale and track all food as accurately as possible. Poke around the forums and you'll see some themes from people that have had long-term success. Do not eat 1000 calories a day. Weigh yourself regularly to track success.

Recap:
    Plug in stats
    Follow what mfp says
    Be realistic
    FOOD SCALE
    Exercise moderately
    Take it slow
    Eat a healthy amount
    Success

Feel free to friend me. I eat a lot and lift weights. I don't have much to lose. Their are plenty of people around that may match your goals better, though.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Make small goals to start. i.e. log all your food (even if it's 80% of the time to start) you eat for a week and see where you are at and adjust. Then add other smaller attainable goals, while keeping the others. Keep logging and add getting in 8 glasses of water, then add another, like getting 5 servings of fruits and veg (you can pick the number). As you look at your food intake and calories you will see that certain foods you can have more of where "junk food" you get less of for more cals and you will start to make better decisions.

That is how I started out, and I am VERY happy with the way things are going for me. Figure out what will work for you and go with it! Some people like the repetitive things and need conformity to specific foods they know "work" for them. Some its a specific workout routine. what ever it is stick with it!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

No, I do not breastfeed so that is something I (thankfully) do not have to take into consideration. Your comment has helped me understand a little better what I need to do. Thank you.

Someone else said this already but ill say it again, you dont need to completely cut foods out of your diet, if you can stay within your calorie goals, it is perfectly fine to include things like sweets in diet. Some people have trouble including them so they cut them out, but if you can learn how to eat things in moderation then you dont need to eliminate them.

Also make sure you get enough protien as you lose weight.
  • Jaydensmom0914
    Options
    It's all diet and exercise. Go for a walk, jog, or run every day. If you truly enjoy eating fast food don't cut it out entirely, but have it as a treat for yourself. Pay attention to what you're doing and what you're eating.

I do not have that option necessarily with my son right now. I do not have a stroller meant to take on a long walk or jog and I live in Florida so I am terrified to take him out in this heat with me. I have been doing yoga and home workouts while he is napping and I have lost some weight already. As far as fast food goes, I could take it or leave it. I stopped eating that when I was pregnant and it was more so a convience thing with my job. My biggest problem (now) are the sweets. I have had cravings I almost can't ignore since I had my son.
  • Jaydensmom0914
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Plug your stats into mfp. The less weight you have to lose, the slower the loss should be. (I'm only set to lose 0.5 pounds a week and actually aim to lose a bit less than that). Try to fit in some exercise when you can. Buy a food scale and track all food as accurately as possible. Poke around the forums and you'll see some themes from people that have had long-term success. Do not eat 1000 calories a day. Weigh yourself regularly to track success.

Recap:
    Plug in stats
    Follow what mfp says
    Be realistic
    FOOD SCALE
    Exercise moderately
    Take it slow
    Eat a healthy amount
    Success

Feel free to friend me. I eat a lot and lift weights. I don't have much to lose. Their are plenty of people around that may match your goals better, though.

I plan to lose about 47lbs. I am 167lbs right now but if 120lbs is too low while also trying to obtain muscle than I will change that. My weight was 125lbs before I had my son and I was skinny...Possibly too skinny. Because I was not strength training and eating properly I honestly just looked malnourished in a way. I am aware that my body has changed since the birth of my son though. My chest went from 34D to DDD and my hips widened. I can't really say for sure what my goal weight would be since my body is completely different now. I just know I want to get this extra lbs off the right way so my son doesn't learn bad eating habits because of me.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I do not have that option necessarily with my son right now. I do not have a stroller meant to take on a long walk or jog and I live in Florida so I am terrified to take him out in this heat with me. I have been doing yoga and home workouts while he is napping and I have lost some weight already. As far as fast food goes, I could take it or leave it. I stopped eating that when I was pregnant and it was more so a convience thing with my job. My biggest problem (now) are the sweets. I have had cravings I almost can't ignore since I had my son.

I lived in Pompano for a few years, it does get hot down there for sure. The sweets are difficult, since I've never had that craving I have no alternatives to suggest beyond cut back, which I know isn't much help at all because it's such a strong craving.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Recap:
    Plug in stats
    Follow what mfp says
    Be realistic
    FOOD SCALE
    Exercise moderately
    Take it slow
    Eat a healthy amount
    Success

I plan to lose about 47lbs. I am 167lbs right now but if 120lbs is too low while also trying to obtain muscle than I will change that. My weight was 125lbs before I had my son and I was skinny...Possibly too skinny. Because I was not strength training and eating properly I honestly just looked malnourished in a way. I am aware that my body has changed since the birth of my son though. My chest went from 34D to DDD and my hips widened. I can't really say for sure what my goal weight would be since my body is completely different now. I just know I want to get this extra lbs off the right way so my son doesn't learn bad eating habits because of me.

You sound like you're on the right path already. Are you tracking your intake? If you're losing weight already than maybe the treats here and there aren't hurting you anyway. Plus you're exercising! Keep at it. Once those dvds get too easy get some new ones. Maybe get some dumbbells and get dvds geared more towards strength next time if you want to "tighten up".

If you're not tracking, start! You may be pleasantly surprised to see that you can fit in sweets regularly and still lose weight. As stated, I lose slowly. But I eat dessert every single day and still lose weight. And not lame desserts. Cake, chips or ice cream.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Recap:
    Plug in stats
    Follow what mfp says
    Be realistic
    FOOD SCALE
    Exercise moderately
    Take it slow
    Eat a healthy amount
    Success

Set your goal in MFp to lose 1 lb per week and it will give you a calorie goal. Log as accurately and consistently as you can, and eat those calories. Focus on eating veggies, fruits, lean proteins, healthy fats. But there is nothing wrong with treats! I eat a little dark chocolate, some ice cream, a slice of pizza every day. You just need to find a balance. Move around whenever you can - dance around the living room to a song your son likes, do jumping jacks while watching tv, take a walk, etc.

Many people find pre-planning meals for the week is a big help. Many also find pre-logging their day and then using that as motivation to stick to the plan helps too.

I know you said you want to lose it as quickly as possible, but fast weight loss is usually temporary weight loss. Take this time to figure out how to eat in a way that you enjoy and that fills you up at the right calorie level - so you can maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life. It's different for everyone, but once you figure it out you're golden :) Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

When my husky and I lived in Florida we didn't like the heat either so walked before the sun was fully up and as it was going down.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.