Anybody 50+ out there?

Options
SharonH912
SharonH912 Posts: 17 Member
Hello I'm interested in any help I can get to get this weight off. I just think that it's easier for people 50+ to understand my struggle! Please feel free to add me as a friend no matter what your age! All the help I can get will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• linda513
    linda513 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just turned 57! Weight loss is extremely slow at our age, and it seems as though we have to restrict calories to a very low level. As if getting older isn't bad enough, we can hardly eat! I'm happy to be your friend.
  • katyjane49
    katyjane49 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 54 and find it disheartening sometimes when I track everything and am in deficit and do exercise then the scales refuse to budge. Feel free to add me. Unfortunately I am a bit of a technophobe and have no idea how to add friends. Lol
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    55 here, the only way I can lose is deficit combined with exercise. Exercise for me is running 25 to 30 miles a week so I can have room for wine and beer.
  • SharonH912
    SharonH912 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments! It's great to know I'm not alone. But I can't figure out how to add friends either. :D But I'm glad for anyone that does to friend me!
  • Caraleemac
    Caraleemac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have struggled with my weight all of my life. I lost 20 lbs last summer and have gained all of it back. I feel so overwhelmed at the thought of starting again since I have lost and gained so much over the years. I need to lose at least 40 lbs, but could really lose twice that and still be a reasonably sized person.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon I have sent you a friend request. I am 66 years old and have lost 40lbs. Anyone wanting to send friend request just tap on the persons avatar, when the next screen comes up, double tap on the persons avatar and ten choose 'invite friend'.
  • rsclause
    Options
    I lost fifty pounds but found twenty of them back, it happens. I am not out of control so it's all good. I just need to cut back a bit on the booze and keep my exercise at current levels or higher. Right now trying to shed 10 pounds and drop my body fat to 18%.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    to friend someone open their profile and click on the button "add as friend"; the other person then has to accept the request
    couple of forums on here that might help:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10549544/women-ages-50-for-may-2017#latest
    and there's another group that's called "55-65 year old women's success?"

Took off weight last year and have gained it all back, lost my mojo but am here today, so that's a step I guess.
  • likeiwas
    likeiwas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very tough to loose when you are older. Restricting calories to a to a very low level will not work in the long run. You should never ever go under 1200 cals/day unless you are under a doctors supervision. It will wreak havoc on your metabolism and you will end up actually gaining weight. Sounds counter-intuitive but absolutely true!
  • rsclause
    Options
    I do much better on a slight deficit than a big one. The big deficit makes me feel sick and weak.
  • derek9964
    derek9964 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Derek 52 from the northeast U.K. Anyone feel free to add me
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that it's hard to lose if your older. I am 62 and have fluctuated all my life but every time I set my mind to
    losing I am successful. The problem seems to be keeping it off....that's where I mess up every time. I always get lazy and go back
    to big portions. If I would just get on the scale once a week during maintenance it would solve my regaining problem.
    My goal back in January was to drop 30 lbs. I changed that to 40 in April and hit it in May. Now I'm going for an extra 5 lb. "buffer"

I am the worst follower of healthy eating diet plans, people would cringe at my choices. I don't weigh food, I estimate
    calories counts ( but I am an excellent estimator) I don't eat icky yogurt, almond milk, flax seed or any of that healthy
    stuff people here are posting about and spending hours cooking up. For me some Cocoa Puffs and coffee in the AM,
    Salad at lunch, chicken and broccoli type dinners. I eat frozen dinners all the time snack on candy and chips and do minimal
    exercise. Count your intake and eat less than you burn. Simple math wins out every time.

The point of all the above rubbish....don't let your age make you think you're not able to do this. Follow the calories
    your allowed, remember your older and your metabolism is slower so account for that fact.
    You can easily do this if you set your mind to it and don't let being a senior be an excuse! We're supposed to be
    smarter than that.

Wishing you great success and looking forward to hearing of your winning loses.
  • wild_mustard
    wild_mustard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and I've lost and gained over a lifetime, like many of us. I have realised that it is only going to get harder to get back to where I'd like to be, so I am taking charge and using MFP to help.

While there are challenges to losing weight (or maintaining weight loss) when we are no longer teenagers (time commitments, mobility, etc), as rdmitch mentioned above, it comes down to learning how to keep track of intake so that you know when you have taken in what you need for the day. That, combined with moving your body through space (or when seated, if that is your only option), is pretty much what we need to do.

I think the hardest part is that most human beings lack the attention span and dsicipline to stick to what they think they SHOULD be doing - me included! Changing habits takes time, but it can be done. Pick one thing you want to address and work on that. Give yourself a time frame. For instance, you could decide: I am going to take a brisk walk once a day for 10 minutes. I am going to do that every day for 2 weeks. At the end of the two weeks, see how you did. If you were able to do this, and it felt good, challenge yourself to another 2 weeks. Or a month. After a month, it will have become a habit. And you can up it to 15 minutes. Or keep it at 10.

Change one or two things at a time. Track yourself to see how you did. Continue, or make changes, or add things.

And hang in there, because you are not alone. There are a lot of us out here who are not 20 anymore!!!
  • petercoologeorgen
    petercoologeorgen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll be 64 in a couple of weeks. As was said above, things dlow fowm, we begin to need meds and the aches and pains seem to stay. I find that any activity is better than sitting on my butt to watch television. I find that we eat out a lot. That is damaging. Quality of sleep is poor (snoring, nocturnal washroom visits, knee pain). The first step is to identify our problem. The next step is to attempt a vorrevtive action. The third step is to always feel blessed for being given another day to live. Keep trying.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    SharonH912 wrote: »
    Hello I'm interested in any help I can get to get this weight off. I just think that it's easier for people 50+ to understand my struggle! Please feel free to add me as a friend no matter what your age! All the help I can get will be greatly appreciated!

Buncha good ideas in this thread, FWIW:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254997/40-year-old-women-and-older-who-has-lost-40-or-more-lbs-how-the-heck-did-you-do-it
  • kyriggs77
    kyriggs77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and been on low carb/keto for 8 weeks and only lost about 8lbs. It is a slow process. My daily calorie intake has been around 1000 and find it hard to add more calories, but been told over and over that 1000-1200 is too low. I know I need to add more exercise but giving up foods I love is hard enough. I use Pinterest to save low carb recipes to replace a lot of my old favorites but now as a low carb/sugar substitute.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Yes. Fifty plus One. It's not impossible. Goctor told me to lose 10 lbs and I lost 13.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Yes. Fifty plus One. It's not impossible. Goctor told me to lose 10 lbs and I lost 13.

You nailed it.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and I have lost 25 pounds (75 to go). I started by making small goals and building from that. Like I will walk twice a day. It might have only been around the block but I did it. And then I will give up all sugar. You get the point...do not try to do it all at once or it can be overwhelming. Currently I eat 1200 calories a day, walk a minimum of 45 minutes a day, and do a fun dance fitness class twice a week. Weight loss aside I feel so much better physically and emotionally. Your best tool is your mind...I decided I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and I will do this!
  • louiseisbeautiful
    louiseisbeautiful Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon. I'm 57 and double the weight I should be. My son introduced me to this app and I have been using it for a whole 5 days!!