Ketosis Diet

Options
Hi All
I have a couple of friends who have produced staggering results one lost 37 kilos and the other 16 kilos.No muscle loss just fat.I have read various articles which have conflicting views.I am only in the first week and have lost 1 kilo on it. Dietitians seem to bag it.Has anyone been on it and what was their experience.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1- Keto works like any other diet (by creating a calorie deficit)
    2- there is no magic benefit doing keto
    3- Eating carbs is fun
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    3- Eating carbs is fun

Yep

For 6 months I was low carb and taught fitness classes. It was fricken hard to lead.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm keto - but I do it to maintain strict blood glucose control because I'm diabetic. Nobody will deny it's incredible for glycaemic control. That being said I do eat more carbs than many others in ketosis because I maintain a more stringent exercise regimen than most and I'm too competitive for my own good.

If you're interested in talking with some very keto-minded folks, drop into the low-carber group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group and chat with them.

For a certain subset of people keto works GREAT. Not everybody needs it, and although some thrive on it - it's very true that not everybody is at their best while trying it out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    3- Eating carbs is fun

Just to add...

4 - You don't lose all fat and no muscle on any diet.

A portion of your losses will be lean body mass on any diet. And keto isn't a particularly muscle-sparing diet anyway, as protein is held lower than other diets and it excludes carbs, which are anti-catabolic.
  • maitaimixer
    maitaimixer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got the info I needed from my GP and Google thanks anyway for your comments
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Go here to have a conversation with LOTS OF folks who are interested in lower carb diets:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group and chat with them.