Binge eating disorder

Options
Does anyone struggle with binge eating? I have been struggling with it for many years and my weight has hit 146kg :( I would love to hear from others who understand. Would be great to support each other.

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I *did* but I don't. :) Feel free to add me. I had kind of BED as well as other ED like bulimia (I purged through exercise or fasting). Now I have lost over 40lbs in a healthy way.
  • odette71
    odette71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel :(
  • Dabbadooey
    Dabbadooey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible problem with it. I don't know what to do. I have been to OA, and it was very depressing. It did not help me. I know there is some research linking bed to add.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am right now and have for a long time. It happens at night. I get up and gorge like an animal. I think ai may need to see a therapist. I see people who have lost 50 pounds or more but there is no way I can accomplish that if I consume 4000 calories at 2 am.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with binge eating and prescribed VyVanse (30mg). Its a stimulant, but it does a great job suppressing the appetite..and if you're ADD it'll help with that too. Honestly, the last 2 week I've dropped about 10 lbs (out of 60), my sleep schedule has improved and I just feel so much better.

I'm also seeing a dietitian to make sure the food I do eat is satisfying my macros.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    See a dr and therapist. Low does naltrexone might be a med to consider. It's FDA approval is for opiates abuse and alcoholism but I've heard it being used off label by Dr's for BED
  • msapril87
    msapril87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this for my whole life.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just got on Vyvanse but it wears off later and I gorge. I need to have some responsibility
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    an0nemus wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with binge eating and prescribed VyVanse (30mg). Its a stimulant, but it does a great job suppressing the appetite..and if you're ADD it'll help with that too. Honestly, the last 2 week I've dropped about 10 lbs (out of 60), my sleep schedule has improved and I just feel so much better.

I'm also seeing a dietitian to make sure the food I do eat is satisfying my macros.

Yes--it sounds like you are going about this the right way.
    See a dr and therapist. Low does naltrexone might be a med to consider. It's FDA approval is for opiates abuse and alcoholism but I've heard it being used off label by Dr's for BED

Full stop after your first sentence--recommending medications off-label is a BAD idea.
  • sdev9783
    sdev9783 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. It's horrible, I do it late at night and will literally eat anything I can get my hands on. It's like I hear it calling to me or something. At one point I lost 90 lbs and have now gained much of it back and I don't have the will power to stop this binge eating thing! It's killing me!
  • Dabbadooey
    Dabbadooey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I binge in the afternoon. I can "feel it coming on" like a physical ailment.
  • chico002
    chico002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when u feel it go do something active to distract you. if u do that plenty of times it will soon replace your temptation
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes, me, I can't just have a little cheat meal, I go overboard all dat, and it's bad! The only thing helping me now is, now that I'm going farther and farther between binges and eating (pretty) clean, I get stomach aches and end up up most of the night going to the bathroom, my body can't handle eating like that anymore- starting to learn my lesson, and drinking lots of water before and after a treat I eat helps fill my tummy so I don't try to grab more junk... also journaling what happens the days I binge, kind of helps me remember how it's not worth it!
  • an0nemus
    Options
    Nightfly01 wrote: »
    I just got on Vyvanse but it wears off later and I gorge. I need to have some responsibility
    So far for me, when it crashes its between 10 and 11pm at night, and it also leaves me tired so I can just go right to sleep.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been on it and what's your dosage?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Did you hit your calorie goal before that happens? What's your weekly weight loss goal set to? I'm wondering if you'd under-eaten prior to the binging.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    @JaydedMiss I think you had a good experience with Vyvanse too, yes?
  • an0nemus
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Did you hit your calorie goal before that happens? What's your weekly weight loss goal set to? I'm wondering if you'd under-eaten prior to the binging.
    I'm not sure the culprit is only under eating....I'm starting my 3rd week on it, and so far its a struggle to hit 1,000 calories.

• vanessamolanoo
    vanessamolanoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try going vegan. I've struggled with the same problem for two years. Being vegan helped a lot with my eating disorder , I lost 30lbs so far. I no longer have my binge eating problem. I highly recommend it. Good luck :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @JaydedMiss I think you had a good experience with Vyvanse too, yes?

uh...no idea what that is
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Had it and was treated for it. Be sure if you are planning on seeing a therapist for it, see one who treats BED specifically or even better group therapy in my opinion. My therapist was NOT a fan of OA as she didn't believe in restriction or avoidance. She was amazing and if you are near Chicago I can recommend the place I went to...but I know they've been working on building treatment center around the US.