Running Apps

Options
SteveVx
SteveVx Posts: 12 Member
I currently use the Nike Plus Running Club app but it doesn't really do much as far as training and guidance. I was wondering what apps you guys use (and if u pay for them) that help improve your running goals and improvements. Preferably ones that are compatible with Apple Watch. Thanks!

Replies

• Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like Easy 5k with Jeff Galloway. It syncs with the Apple Health App, but I don't see where it offers integration with my apple watch. I did pay for that app, which came as a bundle, and I got it during a sale with a gift card.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't use any Apple products, so can't answer that part of your question.

I use the Runkeeper app. I have the free version, although they also have a premium version. It does everything I need it to do...track my runs and hikes, give speed, elevation change, distance, etc. like all apps do. There are also some training programs available (some are to run 5 or 10Ks in specific times). Some are free, and others require a small fee.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The only running app I've tried is the Zombies Run! app. It didn't give much as far as guidance but allows you to import your own music and provides continuous chapter style storyline that has you running through the zombie apocalypse which can be encouraging by distracting you from the difficulty of your run. It even has an option which will trigger random zombie chases to push you a little harder. I think it cost $6 and I've brought it with me to my past 3 phones.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like MapMyRun
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    +1 for MapMyRun. If doesn't have instruction, but I use it in conjunction with C210K by ZenLabs and love it.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Been using MapMyRun for years.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    SteveVx wrote: »
    I currently use the Nike Plus Running Club app but it doesn't really do much as far as training and guidance. I was wondering what apps you guys use (and if u pay for them) that help improve your running goals and improvements. Preferably ones that are compatible with Apple Watch. Thanks!

I think Strava, Endomondo and Runkeeper all have watch compatibility. All three have training plans although my preference for that aspect is Endomondo.

I've never had a good experience of the MapMyFitness range of apps.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    SteveVx wrote: »

I think Strava, Endomondo and Runkeeper all have watch compatibility. All three have training plans although my preference for that aspect is Endomondo.

I've never had a good experience of the MapMyFitness range of apps.

Strava defiantly has an Apple watch ap. They made a big deal about it
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I second Zombies Run. It makes me really look forward to running.
  • terpsichore_
    terpsichore_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper on my iPhone. I'm happy with the way it tracks, the goal-setting options, and the way it logs activities. It can sync with a number of other apps if you want. I don't use Mapmyrun on the run, but do use it to map out a route ahead of time.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you want to do with the information. You can go for simple, in which case Runtastic will be more than enough. Or you can go for levels of detail you didn't even think could exist, in which case you're looking for something like TrainingPeaks.

Everything else seems to fall between those two extremes. I'm a biker, not a runner, so I can't speak to everything about the running side of the house. I've used Runtastic (even paid for it), then migrated to Strava, and currently I use Strava with TrainingPeaks.

Strava provides a great social side, allowing you to compete and compare against other people in a less formal environment. It has support for phones and watches. Where the phone support falls down, though, is if you're trying to go for long times. GPS drains phone batteries, as does excessive screen use. Strava requires at least using the GPS for the entire trip, and *might* require the screen be turned on (can't confirm, since I never checked if it tracked properly with the screen off). If you will be going out for more than an hour, or unable to get to a charger after an hour long run for a while, this might be enough to turn you off.

TrainingPeaks also supports phones, though I haven't found support for watches yet. I don't think it does. What it *does* do is provide solid training logs and planning, along with in depth analysis of individual workouts. It also provides a way to connect with coaches, if that interests you, along with one time purchase of training plans that can be put on your calendar and compared with how you did when you actually did the workout. Somewhere, there also seems to be a way to do multi-workout analysis, but I haven't figured it out yet, I've just read that it exists. The social side is non-existent, though.

I use both, and pay for both, since both provide enough value to me.

You might also consider looking into fitness watches as opposed to the Apple Watch. Garmin has a line that is well tailored for tracking activities (not cheap, though, since the high end is around $800, and the low end is either $300 or $400). Other companies make good ones as well. I'd advise finding a good reviewer of such devices before buying one, though. I follow DCRainMaker, his reviews are so in-depth that if you have questions left after them you need to re-read. I don't think he misses a thing.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    TrainingPeaks also supports phones, though I haven't found support for watches yet. I don't think it does. What it *does* do is provide solid training logs and planning, along with in depth analysis of individual workouts. It also provides a way to connect with coaches, if that interests you, along with one time purchase of training plans that can be put on your calendar and compared with how you did when you actually did the workout. Somewhere, there also seems to be a way to do multi-workout analysis, but I haven't figured it out yet, I've just read that it exists. The social side is non-existent, though.

It supports certain watches. Not Garmin. Not apples. Suunto does.

Oh wait, TP just put out a program for the absolute latest Garmins that allows you to backload training programs.
  • hill00936
    hill00936 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh that Nikes app is good, i've been using it for a year or so. Now i try a new one Victa. It is not just tracking device but plying thing. You create your character and improve his abilities every time you run. U stay motivated and engaged all the time. If u like some entertainments download it
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    Also using my Garmin watch together with Runalyze. I also use ismoothrun for iOS on my phone as I'm taking my phone along anyway. And to be honest, in my town with some narror roads among houses of 4-5 floors signal is not too good for the Garmin watch. My phone is more reliable when it comes to gps signal.
  • dsg2000
    dsg2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    +1 for TrainingPeaks. I like that I can sync different types of workouts to it and it will roll them into a single training/fitness score, although the accuracy for strength and cross training is probably marginal. It would be better for biking and swimming, I think, since it’s a platform for triathaloners. It also syncs with MFP.