Pickled Beets

Options
Wtn_Gurl
Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
So i enjoy a few sliced pickled beets. According to the jar, it does not have much carbs nor calories. My friend says NO PICKLED BEETS - too much sugar. I have been trying to read about this and cant come to any conclusions. One article says that food that is pickled does something to reduce the sugars in the food, so its less impact that way. I think it has low enough calories and carbs to be good for me to eat. Plus the nutrients in the beets make it worth it for the nutrients. However, they might be higher in salt.

So how do you rate eating pickled beets? I think its' worth it and not much in the way of carbs and calories. And I only eat maybe 1/4 cup a few times a week. I innately feel it is a good choice.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to avoid sugar? Is your friend under the mistaken belief that sugar makes you fat? If you like them and they fit your calories then enjoy them! I personally think pickled veggies are a great way to get in veggies with some extra flavor.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE pickled beets and included them often in my daily eating habits. I have found no reason to not eat them.

If it fits within the calorie allotment and macros, why not!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I love pickled beets. Maybe stop trying to define individual foods as good and bad. Look at the overall diet.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I also love pickled beets. Salt and sugar content doesn't cross my mind with any food (other than to remember potential scale spikes). Outside medical reasons, just eat the beets!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love beets - picked and non-pickled. I consider them healthy. Pickled beets usually have sugar added to them. Is that the sugar you're worried about? Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar, I wouldn't worry about the sugar. You could of course reduce the sugar used to make pickled beets without sugar.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I love them. I'll worry about the macros when I reach my goal, until then I'll continue to try and count calories, if they fit then I eat.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to avoid sugar? Is your friend under the mistaken belief that sugar makes you fat? If you like them and they fit your calories then enjoy them! I personally think pickled veggies are a great way to get in veggies with some extra flavor.

Yes im trying to do low carb but not the very stringent keto he is doing. I have pre-diabetes. Yet, with the little bit i eat, even if one serving is 4-8 carbs, its still within my carb macros.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I roast and pickle beets myself. They taste great and keep virtually forever in the frig. If you're worried about the sugar, eat them in moderation and you should be fine.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Don't panic when your pee and poo are "beet" red tomorrow. I like them roasted myself.
  • Tonkajoe
    Tonkajoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    pickled beets are awsome .. easy to make yourself .. cook the beets 20 min .. mix together a cup o vinegar and 1/8th cup o sugar (if needed - u could try totally without) 1/2 tsp+ salt .. put in a jar in the fridge a few days = done. You could also REUSE the pickle juice from regular cucumber pickles .. just cut up the beets small-ish and put them in the brine. Doing it yourself you know exactly what is in them. Pickles are a fantastic way to hit those cravings for "something!"
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yummy. I love pickled beets. A few slices on a salad is heaven.