Need book ideas

Options
taldie01
taldie01 Posts: 378
Im heading out for vacay soon and need a good book! Any recommendations? Nothing historical or sci fi ish, funny and a lil smutty is ok. Nothing too heavy.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There are two great books I read by a Christian author, Francine Rivers, she used to be a secular author so her smut level is right on the edge of too much for a Christian book, not enough for a secular book. Anyhow, they are called "The Scarlet Thread" and "Redeeming Love."
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Oh, another great read is "Cold Tangerines" by Shauna Niequist
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    "Room" by Emma Donaghue is good, but might be a little heavy for a vacation. (Not physical weight, lol.)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Island of the Sequined Love nun by Christopher Moore is a great Vacation read.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    this is a very easy read, perfect for the beach or pool, and it's slightly scandalous (which I love :smile: )

granted, doubtful it'll ever be a NYT best seller, but i've read it twice!

http://washingtoniennearchive.blogspot.com/
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The Shack was interesting. And there's this book about Dogs - fiction - oh heck what is the name of it...
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jennifer Lancaster. She has a book on her diet/weight loss journey called "Such a pretty fat" holy goodness. SO funny:)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I have to always suggest Da Vinci Code... amazing story
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    Anything by Jennifer Lancaster. She has a book on her diet/weight loss journey called "Such a pretty fat" holy goodness. SO funny:)

This just reminded me of a book I had to read in college that I ended up keeping, it was so good! Conversations with the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer
  • BigBadVooDooBob
    Options
    Try Sick Puppy Skinny Dip or Nature Girl by Carl Hiassen, especially if the vacay is in Florida.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    edit: nm it was neither funny or smutty
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    you basically said no to the only book generes I find interesting.
  • Allyc804
    Allyc804 Posts: 54
    Options
    Chelsea Handler books are great! I laugh outloud at them! Id start with my horizontal life and move on from there!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "Safe Haven" by Nicolas Sparks right now. It's really good. Of course, I think anything that Sparks writes is good!
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    There are two great books I read by a Christian author, Francine Rivers, she used to be a secular author so her smut level is right on the edge of too much for a Christian book, not enough for a secular book. Anyhow, they are called "The Scarlet Thread" and "Redeeming Love."

"Redeeming Love" was my best read yet!
  • texasfrog1021
    Options
    I love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Start with #1 because there are 17 in all and they go in order. They are laugh out loud funny! I'm on #16 now and already sad that I'm at the end.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games. Awesome triology
  • peytons_mommy82
    peytons_mommy82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler was great, so ditto that.

I also have to second The Hunger Games series. I've read them twice and can't get enough.

Anything by Jennifer Weiner or Jodi Picoult! Have a nice vacation. I'm jealous. ;)
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading "Pictures of You." So far I like it, I got through 50 pages on an hour and half flight.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    If you want light and funny, check out Caprice Crane. She's got 4 books out, and all are good!

Also, I 2nd the Jen Lancaster recommendation. She cracks me up.

If you want something other than chick lit, go with Stuart Woods - the Stone Barrington series is wonderful. I could go on and on if you decide you want supernatural...