Foods that are low sodium, low carb

Options
jferris91
jferris91 Posts: 271 Member
Hey all,
I am trying to watch my carbs and sodium intake! I'm looking for good food that I could take for my lunches at work without having to 1. Spend a ton of money, 2. Overload on sodium! All suggestions are very much appreciated

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Fresh chicken boob, frozen tuna steaks, frozen tilapia and frozen salmon are my go-to for such things. Frozen chicken breast usually has a sodium riddled broth frozen to it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your definition of low-carb is, but if you're planning on entering nutritional ketosis (by eating under 50g net carbs per day), you actually need extra sodium (and magnesium and potassium) in your diet to account for the extra water flushing that occurs.

If you're not doing keto, disregard my statement above! There are lots and lots of low-carb recipe websites, just substitute the sodium with salt substitute (potassium salt) and sodium-free seasonings.
  • jferris91
    Options
    Fresh chicken boob, frozen tuna steaks, frozen tilapia and frozen salmon are my go-to for such things. Frozen chicken breast usually has a sodium riddled broth frozen to it.

I love chicken, but not a fan of fish
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jferris91 wrote: »

I love chicken, but not a fan of fish

Honestly, most any fresh meat (other than shellfish and the like) should cover you then. It's not until you get into "seasoned" or canned meats that sodium starts to be an issue.
  • jferris91
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your definition of low-carb is, but if you're planning on entering nutritional ketosis (by eating under 50g net carbs per day), you actually need extra sodium (and magnesium and potassium) in your diet to account for the extra water flushing that occurs.

If you're not doing keto, disregard my statement above! There are lots and lots of low-carb recipe websites, just substitute the sodium with salt substitute (potassium salt) and sodium-free seasonings.

No I am watching carbs since that's pretty much sugar and my doctor has told me to cut back on sodium filled foods
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the meats, really, as long as they haven't been preserved. And eggs. And cheese.

Just meats and fats gets boring so I suggest including veggies (carbs plus fiber) with your meats.

Beef Stew

Chicken Curry

Low Sodium Meatballs

Hard boiled eggs

Cheese-in-a-can on celery
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Like toxicon said, above - Please keep in mind if you're actually going low-carb (especially if near keto levels), you'll automatically reduce sodium in your system as you shed excess water-weight. Many low-carbers that go 'keto' levels find they need to ADD sodium back into their diets to avoid cramps. I sure do, especially as I exercise.

So it's possible you may not need to avoid sodium in your foods, FYI, depending on your carbohydrate intake... Just something to keep in mind.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto the sodium recommendations. If you drop carbs your insulin goes down and you will automatically lose water and electrolytes. Cutting sodium further could be hard on your health.

I had to add salt as my carbs dropped. Like Albertabeefy, I was getting muscle cramps and headaches.

Otherwise, meat, veggies, creamy sauces, nuts, cheese, olives, eggs and avocados are all easy portable foods.
  • Kimmecom17
    Kimmecom17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's a good point but I just drink powered 0 or propel water to replenish my electrolytes! I'm keto also feel free to add me!