Phentermine and Topomax

Options
Hey guys, I saw a weight loss doctor last Friday. He put me on 37.5 mg of phentermine once a day and 25 mg of Topomax twice a day. I have gone from 214 to 206.8 in one week. Has anyone else experienced any success with these medications?

Replies

• blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take phentermine half a tab. I currently weaning myself off of it. I started at 215 and currently I'm 173. My Dr. Starts me with half a tab so when it stops working she could increase the dosage. Taking half a tab daily allowed me to take it longer than the recommended length which is a few months I think. I'm still taking half a tab & it still works. I'm actually weaning myself off of it so I don't take them on the weekends and eventually I'll only take it every other day until I completely stop taking them. They have been a great tool in my weight loss efforts. I have better knowledge in foods, portion control, etc & feel like I no longer need them as they have also taught me how to listen to my body & stop eating when I'm full. So, to answer ur question yes I have had sucess with phentermine. Never took topamax.
  • startylight88
    startylight88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take phentermine half a tab. I currently weaning myself off of it. I started at 215 and currently I'm 173. My Dr. Starts me with half a tab so when it stops working she could increase the dosage. Taking half a tab daily allowed me to take it longer than the recommended length which is a few months I think. I'm still taking half a tab & it still works. I'm actually weaning myself off of it so I don't take them on the weekends and eventually I'll only take it every other day until I completely stop taking them. They have been a great tool in my weight loss efforts. I have better knowledge in foods, portion control, etc & feel like I no longer need them as they have also taught me how to listen to my body & stop eating when I'm full. So, to answer ur question yes I have had sucess with phentermine. Never took topamax.

How long did it take you to go from 215 to 173 ?
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Topomax is known for helping people to lose weight quickly... I was put on it awhile ago and my Dr told me this!
  • AlexandreaNutter
    AlexandreaNutter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the phentermine. I have been on it for 1 month now and have lost 15 lbs, I don't have much time to exercise, I do it as much as I can. I love to work out, besides that I have limit myself to a 1000 calorie diet and eat high protien. My goal is 65 more lbs. Also to manage my time wisely and lose 20lbs this coming month, it won't be easy but I am going to do my best.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I take phentermine and still cant lose anything- I have lost on it in the past but not now. I am on an anti-depressant and a hormone replacement and i think they are causing me to not lose weight. I have tried everything. Nothing works
  • startylight88
    Options
    I am hoping this works. It is because of my health. I had an extremely stressful job managing around 400 employees and 4 other site managers and I was working 70 to 90 hour weeks last year. My days off were always changing and I did not have a home or work life balance at all. I gained 50 pounds due to my eating habits, and all the stress. I am looking for all the encouragement I can get. I have already changed my eating habits and was eating healthier, lowering my calories, sugars, etc but I was barely seeing any results. Pray for me guys !
  • bcorpsb
    bcorpsb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a weight loss doctor as well. I'm on phentermine I've been on it on and off because it makes me stay up all night, but I have lost almost twenty pounds in a month on it.
  • GingersnapMI
    GingersnapMI Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hey guys, I saw a weight loss doctor last Friday. He put me on 37.5 mg of phentermine once a day and 25 mg of Topomax twice a day. I have gone from 214 to 206.8 in one week. Has anyone else experienced any success with these medications?

About two years ago, I took Qsymia (phentermine + topamax) for about three months and lost 25 lb. Then I changed jobs and my new health insurance wouldn't cover it. Since it was going to cost me $200/month, I stopped taking it... and stopped losing weight.
    About five months ago, my dr prescribed just the phentermine. It, too, is not covered by my insurance but only costs me about $15/month. I've lost 40 lb since starting it.
    I don't see/feel any difference between the two meds... the phentermine alone is just as effective for me.
    40 more pounds to go! :smile:

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I take topamax for migraine prevention. It is definitely having a suppressant effect on my appetite. It is also causing low-grade nausea fairly often. I am going for a sloooooow rate of loss, and am not too happy about this. I get full much quicker and my average calories are lower than I want them to be. It's not a magic pill, melting off fat. I'm just eating less-so I'm losing more.

I'm concerned that when these side effects stop (bc that's what they are-side effects) my normal appetite will come back and I will have an even harder time regulating my appetite once I've gotten used to not being hungry. I would rather continue with a small deficit and the occasional hunger pangs, with a slow rate of loss.

No judgement intended, but there have been a bunch of threads about this. Anyone have data about the long-term results of the weight loss? Do most people keep it off? Just because it's a prescription doesn't mean it's a good idea (or the BEST idea). I also don't know much about the other drug-but I bet it's not something you stay on for life.
  • buggleuh749
    buggleuh749 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was on topomax about 4 years ago (not for weight loss). I did lose a lot of weight while on it, about probably 20-30 lbs over two or three months. However, I did experience many other side effects. The "dopiness" is not a myth, that was terrible. I was also very depressed. As someone who is always willing try a new medication to help with weight loss, this is one drug I personally will avoid. Also, after I stopped taking it I did gain a huge amount of weight, and when I restarted Topimax it only seemed to increase my appetite.
  • startylight88
    Options
    I was in disbelief when thet gave me Topomax. I was prescribed it back in 2013 and had lost 25 lbs in a month and a half beforehand. I never had any bad side effects. Is it true that Phentermine takes your stored fat cells and turns them into energry, is that why weight is lost so quickly? Does anyone know why being on Topomax makes people lose weight ?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I was in disbelief when thet gave me Topomax. I was prescribed it back in 2013 and had lost 25 lbs in a month and a half beforehand. I never had any bad side effects. Is it true that Phentermine takes your stored fat cells and turns them into energry, is that why weight is lost so quickly? Does anyone know why being on Topomax makes people lose weight ?

I'm not sure about the why for Topamax (side effect, likely), but phentermine is an amphetamine. It works because it kills your appetite, so people often seriously undereat which is why they lose so rapidly. Places them at risk for malnourishment. So make sure you are aiming for a reasonable minimum calories per day while on it. It would be a good idea to speak with a pharmacist about this. It would also be a good idea to work with a registered dietician to help you set up a sustainable plan and ensure you are meeting your nutritional needs while on the drugs.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    ALL medications have side effects, especially long term. Please be careful. Once you stop taking the medications what will you do?
  • hugsnkisses1
    hugsnkisses1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am on 15 mg phentermine and 50 mg topamax just started today hopefully I will see weightloss
    How long before I start seeing weight fall off!! I exercise daily. I have about 50 lbs to lose
  • startylight88
    Options
    I am on 15 mg phentermine and 50 mg topamax just started today hopefully I will see weightloss
    How long before I start seeing weight fall off!! I exercise daily. I have about 50 lbs to lose

Wish you the best please keep me updated on your progress!
  • draejess
    draejess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jepierson4 wrote: »
    Be careful of the rebound weight gain. So incorporate a healthy lifestyle with the meds. I am a doc who prescribes these meds.

I took phentermine a while ago. I lost 20 lbs pretty quickly and then quickly gained it back once I stopped taking it. I also got heart palpitations when I was taking it. I have learned (throughout numerous diets, programs, pills, etc) that there is no weight loss substitution for a healthy lifestyle.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Search "Qysmia" or "Topamax" here and you'll see a lot of posts.

Topamax is a powerful psychoactive medication used for seizures and serious migraines. People on it for those conditions discovered that it has weight loss as a side effect. However, for many people it also has very serious cognitive side effects, some of which can be permanent.

Ooh, and the official paperwork on Topamax also has a BIG warning about birth defects. Wonder how many doctors prescribing it for weight loss mention that to patients?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bcorpsb wrote: »
    I am seeing a weight loss doctor as well. I'm on phentermine I've been on it on and off because it makes me stay up all night, but I have lost almost twenty pounds in a month on it.

The no sleeping was just one of the major reasons i stopped taking it. Even when i took it at 4am i still couldn't sleep that night, I got maybe 2-3 hours of broken sleep per night, it was a flippan nightmare!

I only had 15lbs left to lose, after already losing 15 and my doctor happily prescribed it to me, not very ethical now that i think about it. Another doctor in the same surgery refused to write me a script for them, and told me to see this other doctor in the practice "who will prescribe anything".