a month in...and today i cant stop being hungry...

Options
Clo_Buffie
Clo_Buffie Posts: 14 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
A month in and I have lost 2kgs and 5% body fat

I eat 1200 cals as my base then i also eat half of my exercise cals (usually another 200 - 400 cals) per day and every thing has been going well and steady until today.

I am hungry all the time today.

I have not changed my diet which consists of:
Breakfast - 1 cup of oats, berries and milk
snack - Popcorn
lunch - protein shake
snack - apple
dinner - protein and veggies.
drink 3 litres of water a day
exercise is spin class of 30 mins and walking of 30 mins per day plus some strength training a couple of times a week

this is usually more than enough food for me. With me feeling full all day and no cravings, but not today.....

Just wondering is this normal? has anyone else had this problem? any ideas on how to help?

Replies

• iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you eating doesn't look like you eat very much and what are your macros, stats, etc.
  • Clo_Buffie
    Options
    my macros are 54% carbs (goal is 50%) Fat 26% (goal is 30%) and Protein 20% (goal is 20%)
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss thus far! Could it be hormone differences making you hungry? Or an emotional change - boredom, stress?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal. We can do anything for a while. Hunger tends to catch up with you. Starting up something that you feel you have to do, and are highly motivated for, and seeing the desired results, like a weight loss project, can also give you a high that makes you not notice that you're putting too much strain on yourself. Or you may have reached a point where your body fat% is so low that your body can't shed fat as fast anymore. Or it can be that time of the month. Some women get more hungry at certain times in their cycle. Or it may be cravings and not hunger. That tends to show up when you just feel deprived/bored.

You may want to up your calories. At any rate, you could improve your current diet. My suggestions:
    Add some vegetables to every meal.
    Don't snack.
    Never eat fruit (or sweets) separately.
    Have some starch with your dinner.
    Drop the popcorn and the shakes.
    Make sure every meal has some fat.
    Have differerent foods for each meal and from day to day.
    Don't "sweat over" your water intake. You don't have to drink more than 2 litres unless you are thirsty.

More detailed advice requires more detailed information - height, weight, allergies, etc.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have you slept well recently? Being fatigued can make you more hungry as well.
  • Clo_Buffie
    Options
    awesome, thanks guys for your advice there are some points that I am going to take away to help.. I am 5foot exactly :) and 76 kgs atm. I work at job that is either driving or desk work and end of month is always stressful trying to tie up this month and recruit for next month and due to this I did eat half an hour earlier this morning to get the "jump" on traffic to see my first client. so it could be that which is making me more hungry...
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hunger comes in waves, its usually a hormonal response, and not a dire need to eat. It will pass, even tho it sucks.
    Doing a high carb, high fat diet?

Also having a hungry day today, most likely due to lack of sleep. Doing 18:6 fast, so no food til lunch here.
    Think I'll have some coffe ;)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    The week before my period is due I want to eat my own head I'm that hungry.

Is it near your ovulation time?
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options

This could be a big one. I started having this immense hunger yesterday. Turns out during ovulation and the beginning of your period your BMR goes up about 15%. I'm not sure about the reliability of the source, but it made a lot of sense to me that it would go up at least some. 15% seems really high though.

• sebastiansteinmann
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »

This could be a big one. I started having this immense hunger yesterday. Turns out during ovulation and the beginning of your period your BMR goes up about 15%. I'm not sure about the reliability of the source, but it made a lot of sense to me that it would go up at least some. 15% seems really high though.

So, will that be a 15% extra loss or indulging?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

It may or may not be a 15% increase (haven't looked into it), but with the kind of hunger some women get extra loss is not likely to happen and the extra food does not feel like indulging. Think of it like eating more (sometimes twice as much) in order to achieve a level of satiety similar to what you get eating normally.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited May 2017
    Options

Which ever they choose to get them through.

If I'm cutting I'll eat at maintenance that week.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Could your lunch consisting of a protein shake be leaving you feeling a bit unsatisfied, could you swap if for a protein rich meal instead of a meal replacement drink? I've also read that your BMR increases by up to 10% when you're in your luteal phase so there is that. :)
  • Geona2011
    Geona2011 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Could your lunch consisting of a protein shake be leaving you feeling a bit unsatisfied, could you swap if for a protein rich meal instead of a meal replacement drink? I've also read that your BMR increases by up to 10% when you're in your luteal phase so there is that. :)

I agree, i cannot do protein shakes as a meal replacement, i always felt like i was suffering. Protein rich, has helped me curb hunger.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Recognize that appetite is controlled in your hypothalamus - a really small part of your brain. There are 44 different hormones that work in balance, but as well your mind and other endocrine controls (i.e. hormones) also contribute. It is so complex everyone has theories, but science is still a bit vague. Some things are clearer. If you have a lot of simple cards (think sugar/starch) that increases insulin which in turn increases appetite. Excess protein similar. Fat tends to dampen appetite. Smoking dope? Think munchies. Oestrogen / progresterone / testosteron? All impact. Your BMR does not go up, but your appetite does, so you can (a) eat, (b) distract - go exercise, or have a cup of tea. Basically, its appetite. Not a real demand for more energy, but it might feel that way.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Fairlieboy wrote: »

Recognize that appetite is controlled in your hypothalamus - a really small part of your brain. There are 44 different hormones that work in balance, but as well your mind and other endocrine controls (i.e. hormones) also contribute. It is so complex everyone has theories, but science is still a bit vague. Some things are clearer. If you have a lot of simple cards (think sugar/starch) that increases insulin which in turn increases appetite. Excess protein similar. Fat tends to dampen appetite. Smoking dope? Think munchies. Oestrogen / progresterone / testosteron? All impact. Your BMR does not go up, but your appetite does, so you can (a) eat, (b) distract - go exercise, or have a cup of tea. Basically, its appetite. Not a real demand for more energy, but it might feel that way.

Yeah, sure, your body is making all the preperations for conceiving, I'm sure that doesn't cost ANY extra energy.... /sarcasm. Do you have any sources to back up that particular claim?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Insulin is actually a satiety inducing hormone as per several studies, one reason why protein is satiating for many, it's the blood sugar DROP after a spike that makes SOME people experience increased hunger. People are complex, though and their hunger and satiety signals are just as complex.

After looking into it, energy expenditure does increase but what was documented varies, probably has to do with the individual. Anything from 2% to 10%. I do agree with you that hunger is quite complex hormonally and we don't even need to touch on mental effect on hunger.

As for distracting yourself, it's not as easy for some women, though. You need to be an affected woman to know how it feels. Even the most avid hunger tolerators can get an unfamiliar need and obsession to eat that is uncharacteristic and feels urgent and almost panicky, as if the whole world will fall apart if you don't heed that need. If anyone quit smoking cold turkey, remember the worst of the cravings where you were crawling up the walls trying to resist until the urge passes? Except the urge lasts almost all day and does not disappear within a few minutes like the case with quitting smoking, so waiting it out requires very high levels of effort even for someone can normally go a whole day without food otherwise and understands how hunger works. All logic goes out the window.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    On days when I am super hungry I eat. I focus on making healthy choices about what I am eating and worry less about calories (I do log everything). To me it is just as important to learn to care for my body's needs as it is to learn not to eat when I'm not hungry. One of my goals is to rewire my brain and my relationship with food so I think it is extremely important to eat when hungry rather than buckle down and deny yourself
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

Protein also raises insulin.
  • sebastiansteinmann
    Options
    Protein also raises insulin.

Not like carbs tho, and you usually need to eat excessively to get that effect.

If this is not an issue every day. eat healthy till satisfied, and have a plan to get back on the wagon.

I think your meal choices could improve. Shakes and popcorn should be exchanged for more natural food