"Diet" programs

Options
What have you eaten the whole day? Are you following a specific diet?

It my 4th day gluten free and I eat 6 small meals a day but I'm feeling a bit nauseatic and a bit bloated. It's also my 4th day taking 1000mg L-Carnitine after 1st and 6th meals.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    do you have a gluten intolerance? if not, no need to do a gluten free diet.

I follow IIFYM - eat anything I want as long as it fits.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i do a variation of IIFYM aiming for 80/20 healthy food vs. junk food - my macros were determined by the RD I work with.

supplements wise - Vitamin C and D daily
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Why are you going gluten free??

have you just been diagnosed with coeliac disease??

I am not familiar with L-Caritine - what is it suppossed to do?

Anyway, No, I dont follow a specific diet - I just eat to my correct calorie allowance and aim to have a reasonably balanced nutritonal intake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so far today i have eaten a fat free greek yoghurt with granola, a small hot chocolate, and a salad made up of spinach, carrot, cucumber, cheese, chicken and light salad cream. (its 12.31pm)

i use IIFYM and eat in a calorie deficit - thats my 'diet'.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No specific diet for me, but I have specific situation-based strategies that I know work for me. For example, I need to have a starch with every meal and I have certain foods that are more satiating for me than others. My number of meals varies from one meal a day to grazing throughout the day, also situation dependent. I'm not carnitine deficient, so I can't help you with that one - L-Carnitine might be the source of your nausea. Maybe someone who takes it can share their experience with that.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I am doing IIFYM as well, I use a weekly meal planning sheet to try and have a bit of structure to my week for food and exercise.

A typical weekday for me is:

08:00
    Powdered Greens & Orange Juice (not for weight loss just can't eat that early in the day and don't like the texture of smoothies)

09:30
    Weetabix with milk and some berries

11:30
    Portion of Nuts/Babybel/String Cheese
    Snack Bar or Small bar of chocolate

13:00
    Homemade Soup & Roll/Pasta Salad/Leftovers with Rice
    Packet of Quavers/Hula Hoops
    Pack of Malteasers

18:30
    Protein Shake

20:00
    Meal prep dinner - usually something like Thai Green Curry, Salmon Fishcakes, Falafel, Chilli, Beef Strogonoff with veg/salad and rice/potatoes
    or
    Spiced Chicken & Broccoli/Steak & Butterbean Mash

A typical weekend day for me is:

10:00
    Powdered Greens & Orange Juice

13:00
    Poached Eggs, Pancetta & Asparagus on toast

17:30
    Pub meal (Chicken Goujons/Burger) & 2 pints of craft ale
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have a me-specific diet that has no name :D I profit from a certain degree of predictability, so I plan my meals. I like feeling "normal", so I eat ordinary food. I like tasty food, so I make sure I only plan meals I actuallt want to eat. I don't want to spend too much money, or time, so I buy cheap food, and cook/prepare simple meals, and eat three times per day.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What have you eaten the whole day? Are you following a specific diet?

It my 4th day gluten free and I eat 6 small meals a day but I'm feeling a bit nauseatic and a bit bloated. It's also my 4th day taking 1000mg L-Carnitine after 1st and 6th meals.

Why are you taking L-Carnitine? Why are you on a gluten-free diet?
  • jloverosegold
    jloverosegold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • jloverosegold
    jloverosegold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To answer some questions about why I need to go gluten free is because consuming gluten makes my thyroid condition worst. I'm not gluten intolerant but gluten free diet will help me recover from my medical condition.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    To answer some questions about why I need to go gluten free is because consuming gluten makes my thyroid condition worst. I'm not gluten intolerant but gluten free diet will help me recover from my medical condition.

Why the L-Carnitine, though?
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Just web info for those that are curious:

L-carnitine is an amino acid (a building block for proteins) that is naturally produced in the body.

L-carnitine supplements are used to increase L-carnitine levels in people whose natural level of L-carnitine is too low because they have a genetic disorder, are taking certain drugs (valproic acid for seizures), or because they are undergoing a medical procedure (hemodialysis for kidney disease) that uses up the body's L-carnitine. It is also used as a replacement supplement in strict vegetarians, dieters, and low-weight or premature infants.

L-carnitine is used for conditions of the heart and blood vessels including heart-related chest pain, congestive heart failure (CHF), heart complications of a disease called diphtheria, heart attack, leg pain caused by circulation problems (intermittent claudication), and high cholesterol.

Some people use L-carnitine for muscle disorders associated with certain AIDS medications, difficulty fathering a child (male infertility), a brain development disorder called Rett syndrome, anorexia, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, overactive thyroid, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), leg ulcers, Lyme disease, and to improve athletic performance and endurance.

The body can convert L-carnitine to other amino acids called acetyl-L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine. But, no one knows whether the benefits of carnitines are interchangeable. Until more is known, don't substitute one form of carnitine for another.

How does it work?
    L-carnitine helps the body produce energy. It is important for heart and brain function, muscle movement, and many other body processes.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OP - I believe people want to know if you are taking this supplement under doctors direction or because you decided it would be beneficial on your own. It will effect their answer. Not looking for your particular medical condition.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options

I haven't heard of gluten affecting thyroid conditions myself and am at a loss as to how it would do so.

Have had a hemithyroidectomy myself and am on thyroxine replacement - have never been advised to avoid gluten.

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I follow a keto diet (high-fat, low-carb) and practice intermittent fasting (16:8) and do meal prep! Phewf.

So a normal day for me would be:

Lunch 12pm: Meal-prepped serving of creamy bruscetta chicken (diced chicken thighs in a creamy cheese sauce, topped with bruscetta)

Afternoon snack 3pm
    : Pepperoni stick, cheese string, pickles, broth

Dinner 6pm: Meal-prepped serving of low-carb shepherd's pie (meat pie topped with cauliflower puree and cheese)

For supplements, I make a broth with gelatin and potassium salt to drink at work. Before bed I take a multi-vitamin, 200mg magnesium citrate and a fish oil tablet.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have a me-specific diet that has no name :D I profit from a certain degree of predictability, so I plan my meals. I like feeling "normal", so I eat ordinary food. I like tasty food, so I make sure I only plan meals I actuallt want to eat. I don't want to spend too much money, or time, so I buy cheap food, and cook/prepare simple meals, and eat three times per day.

The I Profit Diet!
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm purely on a cico outlook. And while I do try to stick to mostly whole foods, that's just because I feel better as a runner when I put healthier foods into my body. Not because I believe we should never eat junk.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything special. I try to eat protein and vegetables mainly. I try to save dessert for after dinner only.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

I haven't heard of gluten affecting thyroid conditions myself and am at a loss as to how it would do so.

Have had a hemithyroidectomy myself and am on thyroxine replacement - have never been advised to avoid gluten.

There are a bunch of websites (of unknown reliability) that say gluten can be bad for thyroid function, but the Mayo Clinic says "there’s no evidence that following one diet in particular is an effective treatment for autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis."
    http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-hashimotos-thyroiditis-will-diet-alone-help/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten anything yet today. Yesterday I had mimosas and deviled eggs for brunch, then later ribeyes and potatoes cooked outside on the grill and some slaw on the side, and red wine.

I don't follow any specific diet and typically eat 2 meals a day (one small, one large). I follow the basic guidelines for a healthy balanced diet - a variety of fruits and vegetables, not a lot of red meat, whole grains and legumes, limit added sugar and salt.