Sore knees when Keto after carbs ?

Options
So over the year I've generally been on and off with Keto once again I'm back on the bandwagon trying to knock my weight down before my best friends wedding. Week in and everything is all good no Keto flu, left more energetic and alert and dropped 3.5Kg but that night I had friends over for dinner and wasn't very conscious about how many beers I was have and put myself about 30g of carbs over and today my right knee is killing me. Could it be inflammation related to the extra carbs ? Other than that house today I feel fine bounced back and sent to the gym to do some weights but the whole morning up until the gym my knee still bugged me.

Replies

• xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would recommend seeing a doctor and getting an x-ray on your knee to see what could be the problem. Good luck!
  • jazza3170
    jazza3170 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yea mate u may have tweaked it getting up or moving to fast when cold get it looked at and go from there
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Several folks have noticed inflammatory pains decrease when they decrease their carbs, but I don't know about a sudden new inflammation after one meal.

Ask here as well:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. There is some science suggesting that keto helps prevent inflammation, but I don't really think that one carby meal would reverse that affect or cause some adverse effect like knee pain.

I'm leaning towards it just being a coincidence. Maybe you did something funky to it during a previous workout and you're just feeling it now, or maybe you just slept on it weird. Hard to say.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not surprised upon reading this thread that you believe there might be a connection OP. A few years ago when I started Keto, maybe 2-3 months into that, I remember having a discussion with doctor. I mentioned to her that following this WOE had really had some positive effects with reducing various body pain I was dealing with (knee pain, carpal tunnel pain, neuropathy [foot] pain, headaches, etc.) and thinking that this reduction in pain was possibly all in my head. My doctor said something to me that day which I'l never forget and that I SO wish she'd told me YEARS earlier. She told me that they (the medical community) have known for decades that any underlying inflammation (pain) issues are KNOWN to be aggravates be eating carbs and sugars. I was absolutely floored when she admitted this to me yet never once can I ever recall her sharing this small but important (to me) piece of information with me. D'oh! [facepalm]
  • CodysKeto
    CodysKeto Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ive had xrays and the doctor says nothing is wrong. Since this day i have had multiple carb refeeds(cheat days) and have had similar responses but not as bad but when i drink its tenfold. Very curious about it.

But through ketosis ive found alot of pains ive had brfore have dramatically decreased
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    CodysKeto wrote: »
    Ive had xrays and the doctor says nothing is wrong. Since this day i have had multiple carb refeeds(cheat days) and have had similar responses but not as bad but when i drink its tenfold. Very curious about it.

But through ketosis ive found alot of pains ive had brfore have dramatically decreased

This has been my experience as well!
  • CodysKeto
    Options
    Yeah its definitly real. I havent had a headache since being ketosis unless very parched
  • bdirks1972
    bdirks1972 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try glutamine. It really helped my knee pain. I try to take 2 capsules every day. My trainer told me about when i mentioned my knee pain. I am a believer.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doc, and you may also want to consider an MSM/Chondroitin/Glucosamine supplement to help with joints. There is good research out there about the effects. One of my stats professors used journal articles about its effectiveness as good research examples of ANOVA (analysis of variance--a stats method which can show correlation or cause and effect (depending on study design).

Have a very bad knee and I've been taking it for years. Still leg pressing. :smiley:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Alcohol can trigger gout flareups, also rheumatoid arthritis.

By the way, xrays are poor at seeing the common soft-tissue problems (ligament, cartilage, tendon, inflammation). Other scans like MRI or ultrasound are usually needed for that. I hope that person's advice didn't cost you a lot. :+1:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    It's hard to say. There is some science suggesting that keto helps prevent inflammation, but I don't really think that one carby meal would reverse that affect or cause some adverse effect like knee pain.

I'm leaning towards it just being a coincidence. Maybe you did something funky to it during a previous workout and you're just feeling it now, or maybe you just slept on it weird. Hard to say.

Or maybe you did something funky as a result of the beers :)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I definitely notice an increase in mysterious injuries after having a few beers. I would attribute the knee pain to drunken clumsiness rather than carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This happens to me. If I have a higher carb day, which is still low carb but not ketogenic, I get a LOT more pain from arthralgias - both autoimmune and osteoarthritis. If I stay low carb my pain is reduced.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    not a dr but it does sound like it could be gout. my hubby has those issues when he eats too much pork, his knees will hurt like hell and swell some
  • sethh_taco
    sethh_taco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yea I second gout. I had a couple episodes and it was always after eating too much red meat. I have knee pain because of my size so walking or standing for prolonged periods of times inflames one of my knees and its stiff for a couple days after. With keto though, it sometimes still gets sore the same day but not like it used to and after resting it while I sleep then I'm good the next day.

Of course, keto may have different variances among people.
  • mchitchcock91
    mchitchcock91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis and fibromyalgia. After one carb cheat my pain is terrible. When on keto 30g carbs or less I have almost no pain.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sethh_taco wrote: »
    Yea I second gout. I had a couple episodes and it was always after eating too much red meat. I have knee pain because of my size so walking or standing for prolonged periods of times inflames one of my knees and its stiff for a couple days after. With keto though, it sometimes still gets sore the same day but not like it used to and after resting it while I sleep then I'm good the next day.

Of course, keto may have different variances among people.

true but one would think if it had to do with the carbs it would be other parts of the body too if you have widespread pain otherwise and not just one localized area.
  • CodysKeto
    Options
    Yeah could be gout. I do get it In my fingers as well sometimes. Super common among older pacific islanders but I am only 26, I might try get an Mri and see what that pulls up. I
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

It could also be a non-celiac gluten sensitivity.. Try sticking with rice/oats and see if it causes the same symptoms.