Hey everyone fight against SUGAR

Options
Hey everyone
Im on a keto diet and have not had sugar 8n four weeka feeling very good atm how is everyone else going with there dietand have you cut out sugar

Replies

• matthewwhite07
    matthewwhite07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i have cut sugar and been going to sweetner ... if needed ... ie coffee
  • ISparkyI
    ISparkyI Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have had only 20 - 30 mgs/day of sugar in the last 3 weeks. Noticed a massive change in energy and think a lot more clearly. Could be coincidental but at the moment I'm not missing it. Keto has been great so far mate, keep going.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My diet is going great, but I don't cut out sugar. I still eat loads of fruit and vegies with sugar, plus dairy, and the odd "proper" dessert (icecream, chocolate, cake, sweets etc).... I just track macros and make everything fit.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Here in Florida we fight against Big Sugar and it's misuse of the Everglades.
  • jazza3170
    jazza3170 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thnx for the replys guys and girls im a former lover of mother energy drinks and v and coke etc
    Since stopping i sleep better recover faster from bjj and i think its assiting me losing weight and think clearer i have a coffee hear and there with almond milk annd no sugar loving it

If you wanna cut sugars out look up
    Roger lustig
    Watch him and others alike on youtube
    That sugar film was great 2
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    jazza3170 wrote: »
    Thnx for the replys guys and girls im a former lover of mother energy drinks and v and coke etc
    Since stopping i sleep better recover faster from bjj and i think its assiting me losing weight and think clearer i have a coffee hear and there with almond milk annd no sugar loving it

If you wanna cut sugars out look up
    Roger lustig
    Watch him and others alike on youtube
    That sugar film was great 2
    It's book selling material. Lustig cherry picks his "evidence" and makes it sound plausible, but when compared against others who are actually nutritional gurus in the business, he gets blown away by actual science. He did what he wanted to do as do most sales people.....................create a problem then have the answer to solve it. Made him a lot of money and continues to do so.

Sugar isn't the issue. OVER CONSUMPTION of it is. Go to other countries that don't have obesity issues. They have lots of sugared products on the shelves and are eaten everyday. Their people just don't eat a lot of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Meganita23
    Meganita23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was low sugar for 4 months...went off the wagon last week and am amazed at how inflamed I became in a short time... from pimples to nerve pain. It was a good lesson to remind me how sensitive my body is to sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm low carbing and like it, but it's not mainly about sugar -- I wasn't really eating high sugar before.

I also think it's important to eat a nutrient-dense diet whatever your preferred macros, and plenty of nutrient-dense foods have sugar in them (including fruit and vegetables and dairy). Sugar is the new fat (e.g., Susan Powter), which is bad, and I think focusing single-mindedly on sugar is usually not a good way to center discussions of nutrition.
  • jazza3170
    jazza3170 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah i see both sides and understand but for me i have identified it to be an issue going from 200 grams of sugar a day to zero has made a plausible difference to my health and wellbeing
    And i see sugar to be an issue due to the fact that its really hard to find something without sugar of the shelf plus companys will use other not so safe additives to supplement sugar
    Like aspartame which is not good at all.
    In australia i know many people o
    Who are skinny and very unwell not healthy at all and they consume 200 grams of sugar a day and cant go without it
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That Sugar Film was the biggest load of BS i've seen in a long time.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am currently on an elimination diet, and part of that is going off added sugar. Only agave syrup, brown rice syrup, and stevia are allowed. I don't eat any of those most days, and so try to curb cravings with fruit. My skin is better, and my energy is definitely higher off sugar. I had a small piece of chocolate birthday cake two weeks ago, and I immediately got a headache. I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel much better off of it.

I also think that diary and wheat/gluten (which are often accompanied by sugar) are triggers for me, but as sugar is in everything (even sushi or hot sauce sometimes!), I think that's a more probable cause for my fatigue. After seeing that extreme reaction in me, I think I will do my best to not eat the stuff.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from experience as a diabetic, I notice huge differences when I'm eating sub 35g carb a day. Over the decades, my body has gotten progressively more sensitive to sugar. I'm not as young as I used to be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's not hard at all to find something on the shelf without sugar, IME (I am not currently eating dried pasta or oats or rice, but those are easy examples). Many whole foods do have sugar, like vegetables, fruit, dairy, nuts.

Some people seem to like the "carnivore" diet (and if you do, OP, that's cool), but lots of low carbers (even those in ketosis) eat lots of vegetables, plus some dairy, nuts, even lower sugar fruits. Low carbing aside, the alternative to eating 200 grams of sugar (which I am sure I didn't do when gaining weight) is NOT simply eating none. I think it's focusing on making nutrient dense choices and having a balanced diet within one's chosen macros. Thus, I do think it's important to stress that nutrition is not all about sugar and how much you eat (although if you eat a huge amount of added sugar, or unbalanced amounts of any low nutrient foods, cutting down is a good thing to do, obviously).

I don't think those are fighting words, but in the eyes of some, perhaps? Don't want to disappoint you, newmeadow! ;-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah i see both sides and understand but for me i have identified it to be an issue going from 200 grams of sugar a day to zero has made a plausible difference to my health and wellbeing.
    Well you likely lost weight and didn't "crash" as much. But sugar is still a needed component in energy use for the body. It's not "bad". Over consumption is.
    And i see sugar to be an issue due to the fact that its really hard to find something without sugar of the shelf plus companys will use other not so safe additives to supplement sugar
    Depends on where you shop and what you like to buy. If you're buying and making from scratch, added sugar shouldn't be an issue.
    Disagree. It's been around forever and the so called "bad" things that are purported by "natural" sites are unfounded and have been challenge and debunked by actual scientific studies.
    Who are skinny and very unwell not healthy at all and they consume 200 grams of sugar a day and cant go without it
    I know lots of "healthy eating" folk in the US who very overweight. They aren't well or healthy either. Point is, DOSAGE matters. This whole "sugar" is bad thing is that latest diet fad that has people doing extreme stuff that they don't need to do. I do believe in CONTROLLING how much added sugar you eat, but if one is getting in all their essentials and meeting macro and micro nutrient values and STILL has room in their calorie intake for a sugar shot, then it's fine (barring any health issue like diabetes).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I do not fight sugar and I did not give up sugar. But I have limited the amount of added sugar I consume for several decades, including the years when I was gaining weight. If all I needed to do was lower sugar weight control would be a piece of cake (pun intended) for me.

Fat is my problem. Oh how I love fat.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    how in the world are you able to cut sugar out of your diet? sugar is in everything example: veggies, bread, milk, breakfast bar, energy shakes and bars. so how do you do it? i rarely ever see anything with out sugar.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    how in the world are you able to cut sugar out of your diet? sugar is in everything example: veggies, bread, milk, breakfast bar, energy shakes and bars. so how do you do it? i rarely ever see anything with out sugar.

I'm not against sugar, but not eating the things in bold is easy. I eat very little added sugar during the week...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yeah i see both sides and understand but for me i have identified it to be an issue going from 200 grams of sugar a day to zero has made a plausible difference to my health and wellbeing

Did you consider a middle ground, something between the 200g you were previously consuming, and 0 g? And seriously - zero grams of sugar? So you eat nothing but meat and oil? That doesn't sound healthy, or sustainable.

It is difficult to find foods without natural sugars in them, since they are found in fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc. If you are talking about foods without added sugars, well again, depends what you are consuming and why you consider it something you need to avoid. Nutrition labels will provide the ingredient list, and the total number of sugars, so if it is is something you are concerned about, simply reading those should help you make informed choices. But again, if you're aiming for zero sugars, then yeah - meat and oil are pretty much your only choices.

Aspartame has been studied extensively and proven time and again to be safe. Here is a great forum post written by a biochemist member of MFP who patiently explains in relative layman's terms the science behind what Aspartame is composed of and how your body processes it, and why it is safe to consume.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

These people that you know who are skinny but not healthy, what are the health issues they are suffering from? How does their consumption of sugar cause those health issues? HOw do you know they are consuming 200g of sugar/day?