protein overload?

Options
I consistently go over on my allowable protein count.....is that bad? I've managed to lose 30lbs. in 4 months so I must be doing something right, but just a thought....

Replies

• karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I, too, go over on my protein. Many postings about it doesn't seem too bad if you are exercising. 30 lbs in 4 months - would you open your diary up to me - so I can see what your menu looks like? :bigsmile:
  • ciciNutJob
    Options
    what is your diet that you lost so much weight?! Is it just protein?!
  • holpan11
    holpan11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started last week and have gone way over my protein each day but stayed under my carbs, fats and calories each day. Weigh in tomorrow so we'll see if it's bad
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Have you cut out carbs? Congratulations on the weight loss:smile:
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Are you using the preset MFP amounts? MFP has protein set very low. I changed mine, based on my nutritionist's recommendation, to 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    MFP has the protein set fairly low so going over is just fine. For myself I shoot to be at twice what MFP has me set at (since I'm too lazy to just change it lol).

Depending on how much you have to lose 30lbs in 4 months is likely going to slow down, I had about 80ish pounds when I started and dropped a lot of it very quickly but now (a year in 10 days I'll have been doing this) it averages out to 1.3lbs a week LOL. Great job, keep up the good work!!!
  • cjstrong
    cjstrong Posts: 54
    Options
    going over your protein is a good thing. Most people are intaking enough. Good job
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The amount they set peoples limit at is soooooo low. I shoot for about a 100 grams. I changed my ration to the 40/30/30 for carbs, fats, and proteins though. it really won't hurt you untill you get into 300 or more grams per day.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    you can go as high as 1g per your weight.....it is fine. Protein is what keeps you full!
  • Yaraelizabeth10
    Yaraelizabeth10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Juat read this...

How Much Is Enough Protein?

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

There is some debate on what is a healthy amount of protein when it comes to the side effects of too much protein in the diet. Most health experts say we need between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per kilogram of weight a day (about 7 grams per 20 pounds. So a person who weighs 150 pounds would need around 52 grams a day.

That's actually a lot of protein, but it isn't that difficult to get if you eat lean meat and fish, nuts, beans and legumes and dairy products. For instance a 6-ounce lean hamburger has about 48 grams of protein, and a cup of yogurt has about 12 grams.
  • lugano
    lugano Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am finding that I consume "too much" protein, and not "as much" fat as the 1300 Cal.-per day stiupulates - how "bad" is that???
  • mwinslow67
    Options
    Protien is a good thing. If you’re working out it will help gain more muscle. More muscle means you burn more Cals. I was taking in the recommended amount of protein and I wall losing weight but I was also getting weaker at the gym. I couldn’t lift as much as I was when I started my diet. I adjusted my protein intake but made sure I kept my Calories under the recommended and I started putting more muscle back on. Now I am lifting even more weight and I know my body is burning more Calories with the added muscle. If you’re losing then don’t change anything. Keep up the good work.
  • lugano
    lugano Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all your opinions - I can rest assured I believe that I am doing OK, I have only been at it for a bit more than one week!:happy:
  • FitnActiveMom
    Options
    Sure...send me a friend request and you can help me figure out how to open up my diary to you?! haha. I only had about 30 lbs. to lose after having my son, who is now 18 months. I was 162 when I started MFP and am now 134. 130 would be nice, but at 37 years old, my body doesn't shed pounds like when I was in my 20's, so between 130-135 I will be happy with. :)
  • dstsur5or
    dstsur5or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would consult with your doctor about the correct amount of protein that you need to consume daily. Having too much protein in your system can cause health conditions like Kidney Stones and other liver conditions. My son was born with a liver condition at birth and we had to watch the amount of protein he takes in because of what it can do.
  • FitnActiveMom
    Options
    No I absolutely have not cut out carbs! I actually have to have ice cream daily! haha