Calories in different cuts of beef?

Options
kaygold
kaygold Posts: 92 Member
Does anyone have a website they use for the calories in different cuts of beef? I'm trying to look up the stats on top round beef.

When I tried looking it up, the numbers were all over the place depending on which website it used. Steak vs beef? Separable lean? Reuse only?

What the heck is all that supposed to mean?lol! I weighed it raw in grams after I trimmed some of the fat, and I'm just looking for the calories so I know what I'm looking at before dehydration for the jerky.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    It's going to make a difference how much fat you used, which could account for some of the variation, or you might just be looking at some crappy websites. The USDA website FrancI27 cited will give you options on fat (e.g., 1/8 inch fat left, 1/4 inch fat left). "Separable lean" means just muscle, not fat, not bone. Never heard of "reuse only." Do you mean "refuse"? "Steak v beef" shouldn't matter if you're talking about the same basic cut from beef cattle. It doesn't change the calories or nutrients whether you cut something in steaks or roasts. There might be some entries that differentiate steak and roasts on the USDA website just to make it easier for users, by reflecting commonly available retail cuts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To be fair, it's always a crap shoot anyway, don't know about you but I never know if my cut of meat has 1/8 inch of fat or if it's 'lean'.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    45002942, BEEF JERKY, UPC: 817820002905
    1 oz, 90 calories.
    13001, Beef, carcass, separable lean and fat, choice, raw
    1 oz, 82 calories.

The difference being that you've dehydrated the meat somewhat to get to the jerky state.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    45002942, BEEF JERKY, UPC: 817820002905
    1 oz, 90 calories.
    13001, Beef, carcass, separable lean and fat, choice, raw
    1 oz, 82 calories.

The difference being that you've dehydrated the meat somewhat to get to the jerky state.

I'm pretty sure OP understands that, hence trying to find the nutrient info for the meat being used.

The first entry listed above is or a specific brand (giveaway is UPC number). The second is likely for an average product, most likely commercial, but even if it reflects home-production techniques and recipes, it includes apparently all the separable fat in a generic choice cut, whereas OP has trimmed the meat. Plus, whatever OP is adding by way of spices, sugar, salt, etc., and the degree of dehydration reached could be significantly different from that reflected in either entry listed above. I can't fault OP for trying to be accurate by using nutrient info for the meat she or he is starting with, and any other added ingredients. Just like anything else you make at home, accuracy is improved if you create a recipe based on your own ingredients.

But if OP is finding the process frustrating or the beef entries from USDA incomprehensible, it's probably not going to throw her/his logging wildly off to use one of those entries.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the inputs! I'm going to use the USDA website, and just err on the conservative as, to Franc127's point, I honestly have no idea how thick the fat was before I cut it, or if it would be considered lean in consideration of the fat I removed.

Lynn_Glenmont thanks for your wealth of information! I did mean refuse :blush: you sound like an expert in this arena and I'm so thankful you took the time to help !!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I always have trouble with meat. Ribeyes usually have the most marbling (and therefor fat) but I don't eat all the fat (unless it's been bbq'd then omg yes pls lol) This may be one of the only foods I log as "cooked weight" once I trim off the fat. Is it accurate? Not as, but it' hasn't hindered me thus far.