People with Depression, how do you stay on track during a low?

I can do really well with healthy eating and exercise when my mood is alright but as soon as I slump back down it's all pizza and chocolate. What are your tips for staying on track during a bad period?

Replies

• kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Often I don't stay on track. I do, however, make sure to take classes with my trainer (running) 2x/wk so I am obligated to show up and get my money's worth. If nothing else, THAT goes right, and sometimes the endorphins get me through the better part of the day without food obsessing me. Of course, then there is the evening to deal with.....
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    I can't. But my low points generally result in hospitalisation.
  • coeddig
    coeddig Posts: 9 Member
    Really good q - I'm ok right now but he be been doing good yr bad yr for 7 yrs now. Hoping getting back in shape will form habits that'll keep me going if I have relapse (live in hope I'm going to be ok tho!)
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    I end up going over but then punish myself by working to deprive myself the next so many days. (Like today. Went over this weekend so I am depriving myself to make up that overage since I haven't gone below 160 yet. Limiting myself to lunch and a light dinner and will probably throw an extra workout this evening to deepen my calorie deficit. Trying to eat only 1K calories since I can't seem to keep food out of my fat mouth)
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    It's hard, especially if I'm feeling particularly negative. I just try to remind myself that the low point is only temporary and I will feel better again. If I can't manage to find the energy to exercise (depression usually makes me feel more tired than usual), I make sure to at least track my food. It helps to keep me from overdoing the pizza and chocolate. If I do over do it, I try to be extra vigilant during the times when I feel good to make up for it. Generally, I also find that the weight loss and just being more involved in life helps to keep the relapses in check.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Log my food regardless of what I eat (you'll see it, 6 tablespoons of peanut butter, a bag of chips, or a Little Debbie cake when I am trying to avoid sugar... yes to keeping my binge foods out of my house) and go to the gym. Sometimes I skip the gym, but it always results in a worse day; it helps to have a SO who tries to motivate me, but who also knows when I actually do need a day off.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    There is a lot of really good advice posted here.

As others have mentioned, I try for a couple of short walks a day. Investing in a treadmill or other machinery if you are stuck in the house and have the means to buy. I also like to have exercise video's on hand for those days I can't leave the house, if I am up to it.

Talking to someone, be it a friend, family or counselor is a relief for many people. Journaling is also beneficial, as could a blog on MFP which can be for your eyes only or open to the public.

If you stay inside in bed or on the couch, simply opening the curtains and shades to let the natural light in helps greatly.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Sara2652 wrote: »
    I don't have the answer. I just wanted to say I get it. There are many forms of depression and people react very differently so its not a one size fits all solution. Obviously see a doctor if you believe it is depression. If its sadness go for a walk if you can, take a shower, get a massage and be gentle with yourself however you see fit.

If you go to bed torn up and wake up every morning pleading that something just ends your life but you can't afford to be hospitalized then I say eat if it numbs you but also get help from were ever you can- places like NAMI. Being fat is better than being that depressed. I'm now 50lb heavier then I was last year but I'm not mad about it I'm just now able to face this part of the damage. And in reality I'm thankful my vice is food and not booze or drugs because those can really cause you damage really fast.

I guess I'd say focus on balancing your mood in healthy ways first. Practice self compassion. If you feel like exercising awesome, if you make it around the block walking thats fantastic just don't feel guilty or beat yourself up if there are days you can't. Exercise does not treat depression but it can be part of a healthy way to work yourself out of a depressive cycle -if you are even to make it out the door.

I agree self compassion is key. Insight into your illness, how it affects you because it affects everyone differently and to just celebrate the small things you can do helps. I saw a post about a woman who'd showered and brushed her hair for first time in three weeks...depression had made her almost catatonic.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2017
    I force myself to exercise too. It can be the hardest thing I know. Keeping a schedule and doing exercise on auto-pilot can help. Logging everything, no matter what, and being kind to myself about binge eating, were hard in the moment but helped.

@Geocitiesuser I agree about de-cluttering, if I can throw things away or do some cleaning projects I do feel better and I'm moving around too.

I also agree with others' thoughts on seeing a therapist/doctor, and practicing being gentle with yourself. I hope you come out of it soon.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    I go over my calories all the time but I force myself to do some sort of exercise, I feel better afterwards but it's really hard to get going.

I hope you can find something that helps but remember please don't be too hard on yourself if you aren't able to get up and do anything 1 day. It's okay ❤️
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    When I start to feel low I work out or get outside in the sun. It doesn't always work but sometimes it does. My new problem is not eating at all. I used to eat my feelings now I starve. I don't think either is healthy at all. I hope you can figure this out. Maybe keep healthier snacks around so when your low your options are at least a little better.

Good luck, I wish I could help more.
  • shelbyfit72
    shelbyfit72 Posts: 56 Member
    it is horrible-for me I am stress eater-I have been going through depression for the past couple months-I try to workout to relive stress-I love to lift are do something intense-even a long walk-some days I have to force myself-but when I do I feel better good luck
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Exercise.
    When I'm feeling low I try go to the gym it either picks me up a bit of makes it so if I do comfort eat it doesn't matter as much
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    LonniJay wrote: »
    When I start to feel low I work out or get outside in the sun. It doesn't always work but sometimes it does. My new problem is not eating at all. I used to eat my feelings now I starve. I don't think either is healthy at all. I hope you can figure this out. Maybe keep healthier snacks around so when your low your options are at least a little better.

Good luck, I wish I could help more.
    I do this too. One extreme to another.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Try eating pizza and chocolate and staying within your calorie goals. I have shaved dark chocolate on top of a latte made with almond milk and cinnamon every day, fifty calories. Same with pizza, you can make something that will satisfy you and make you happy which is not hugely fattening like takeout pizza.

If you end up eating pizza because you don't feel up to shopping, your first step to staying on track is to ask for help. Call in some favors and get your support network on board to help you take care of yourself. Don't be embarrassed to ask for specific help: Could you go with me to the grocery / do the grocery shopping? I feel like crap today and need some help.