If you have a fitness tracker synced to MFP ...?

Options
LotusCass
LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you eat back the calorie adjustment it gives you? I've set my activity level to sedentary and walk about 11000-12000 a day, so my vivofit adjusts adding on around 100 calories extra each day to MFP. I have only been eating back the actual exercise calories and not the adjusted ones from my tracker. I'm still getting my head around all this.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat back most if not all of my Vivoactive calorie adjustment daily. I walk about the same amount as you daily, sometimes more, and adjusted my activity level to Lightly Active, so I don't get a calorie adjustment until I hit around 5000 steps. Great advice from @PAV8888
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I'm set to lightly active but my job can get pretty active (15,000 steps yesterday). If I didn't eat most of those calories back, I'd be hangry.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit synched with MFP, and have my activity level set as sedentary. I eat back around 50% of those exercise-induced 'bonus' calories, leaving the rest on the table (literally!) to compensate for any inaccuracies in my food logging. After two years I continue to manage my weight in a totally predictable manner this way. :)

^^ This
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry...

For example I did not eat them all back yesterday as I wasn't hungry at 8pm(when I finally stopped and had already had dinner)...but I am today so I will eat more today.

Which is usually the way it goes...I am always more hungry on the day after being active (run day yesterday)
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have an apple watch connected, and I eat all mine back. I'm losing an average of 1.5/week, which is what my MFP goal is set at.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Why would you spend $100+ on something to track your calories throughout the day if you don't use or trust it?
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have my Fitbit synched with MFP, and have my activity level set as sedentary. I eat back around 50% of those exercise-induced 'bonus' calories, leaving the rest on the table (literally!) to compensate for any inaccuracies in my food logging. After two years I continue to manage my weight in a totally predictable manner this way. :)

Exactly this....
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Yes.

Why would you spend $100+ on something to track your calories throughout the day if you don't use or trust it?

Not everyone bought it to track calories...some use it as a watch and to track steps...aka ninerbuff...

as for trusting it eh...it's an algorithm that has been proven not to be accurate for all...even with a HRM...

• ErinMichelle31
    ErinMichelle31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use a Vivofit2 with HRM, and have it set to lightly active, while MFP automatically places you as sedentary. I would actually describe myself as fairly active because I go to the gym for one hour or more six days per week, and I take my dog on very long walks on the days I don't go. I always classify these extras as activity by starting the timer on my vivofit--even taking my dog on a 15 minute walk. As a result, my calorie adjustment varies a lot from day to day depending on how active I have been. Some days it will subtract some, some days it will add. In general, I find that the vivofit slightly underestimates calories burned, so if I want them, I eat all of the extra calories it gives me from both the adjustment and my activity back. Some days after a particularly long gym session, however, it will give me more extra calories than I really want to eat in a day. On those days, I don't eat them all back. But I do like to have the option!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    elise4922 wrote: »
    Do you eat back the calorie adjustment it gives you? I've set my activity level to sedentary and walk about 11000-12000 a day, so my vivofit adjusts adding on around 100 calories extra each day to MFP. I have only been eating back the actual exercise calories and not the adjusted ones from my tracker. I'm still getting my head around all this.

I don't really look at the calories it gives me. I generally eat the same each day unless I have an extra active day, and then I really just eat to manage my hunger, using common sense of course!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Yes.

Not everyone bought it to track calories...some use it as a watch and to track steps...aka ninerbuff...

as for trusting it eh...it's an algorithm that has been proven not to be accurate for all...even with a HRM...

I don't understand that at all. Guess I don't have to, each to their own. But it's not worth $100 to me to know if I walked 9,608 or 11,493 steps today.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    As an experiment I have worn both my Apple Watch and the Fitbit I was replacing. There's a MFP/AW bug that removes all step calories if a workout is ported from the AW to MFP, even when the workout and the walking were separate things. As such the Fitbit app gives me a good deal more cals to eat than MFP and AW. I eat my workout cals back but I never use the higher Fitbit number with the step cals and I am maintaining, for what that's worth. However that's an imperfect comparison because Fitbit calculates the allowance differently than MFP might and they are not hooked up.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Yes.

I don't understand that at all. Guess I don't have to, each to their own. But it's not worth $100 to me to know if I walked 9,608 or 11,493 steps today.

sometimes it's not just about steps as well.

I mean lets be honest here...the algorithm on most trackers is not accurate for most people so the calories it shows burned has to be taken with a grain of salt. It takes time to figure out just how accurate it is for you.

And Take me for example I have the Fitbit Charge 2 HRM...just got it in March...it still is getting used to my stride length as I don't run/walk outside except from May to Sept due to weather.

It tracks my sleep (REM, Deep and light) , floors climbed, miles, active minutes, calories burned, how many days I've exercised, it has RHR...active HR, current weight, water drank, if I have moved at least 250 steps every hour plus it has a silent alarm that wakes me nicely...and it has reminders to move.

So if 1/13 items isn't as accurate as it could be so what..the 100+ spent on it was worth it...never mind the challenages it offers...
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have map my walk syched with mfp. My 2 mile walk apparently burned well over 400cal, which I'm highly skeptical for. I anticipate it was only half that... Since I've got a lot of weight I still need to lose and such, and because I'm wary of how accurate exercise burn is, I tend not to. Now, if I had a goal of 1200-1300, I may rethink eating back a portion of my calories. Again, I've still got a bit to go and I'm not missing out if I don't eat them back (my goal is currently just over 1800 per day).
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Yes.

That's because its not worth it for that. But knowing that I walked 10k vs 2500. That's worth knowing. And the buzz reminding me that I've been staring at my computer for an hour is additional value added

I feel like I already know if I walked very little vs a lot without one though.

Plus, what do those numbers actually mean? Sunday I walked about 2,500 steps but I biked 40 miles on a mountain road - was that a bad day?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Yes.

That's because its not worth it for that. But knowing that I walked 10k vs 2500. That's worth knowing. And the buzz reminding me that I've been staring at my computer for an hour is additional value added

I feel like I already know if I walked very little vs a lot without one though.

Plus, what do those numbers actually mean? Sunday I walked about 2,500 steps but I biked 40 miles on a mountain road - was that a bad day?

My fitbit would track that bike ride with GPS...so I would have it tracked...

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes.

For some of us, it's a motivational tool. That was the original reason that I bought it. I have a personal goal of 10k steps a day. However, my employer now has a health insurance program that awards points/$ for certain step levels, towards our premium. So it actually IS worth my time to track it. To each their own, for sure.