If you have a fitness tracker synced to MFP ...?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I feel like I already know if I walked very little vs a lot without one though.

Plus, what do those numbers actually mean? Sunday I walked about 2,500 steps but I biked 40 miles on a mountain road - was that a bad day?

In what respect? If you mean, a bad day, exercise-wise, certainly not. But if you are doing a step challenge where you get awarded $ for step totals, then in that respect, yes. All depends on what you are using it for!
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Why would you spend $100+ on something to track your calories throughout the day if you don't use or trust it?

When I got the vivofit it wasn't with the intention of helping me lose weight, so I didn't really look into calories as part of it. I've only recently synced it to MFP and I'm still confused about how it all works which is why I asked the question. I wasn't saying I didn't plan to use it to track calories, I was just ineterested in what others did and how it all works.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Aarjono wrote: »
    I have an apple watch connected, and I eat all mine back. I'm losing an average of 1.5/week, which is what my MFP goal is set at.

Just so we're clear, you eat the green number??
  • mmccravy127
    mmccravy127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about that as well. For example my goal is 2240 I consumed 1921 burnt approximately 755 and have 1074 remaining. That seems like a lot of extra food. I set my goal at active being that I run 20 to 30 miles per week and walk an average of 13k steps at work. Still seems steep. Thoughts?
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    elise4922 wrote: »
    Do you eat back the calorie adjustment it gives you? I've set my activity level to sedentary and walk about 11000-12000 a day, so my vivofit adjusts adding on around 100 calories extra each day to MFP. I have only been eating back the actual exercise calories and not the adjusted ones from my tracker. I'm still getting my head around all this.

I have a fitbit Blaze and I eat back the calorie adjustment it gives me. I'm currently eating at a 1000 calorie deficit according to the fitbit data and logging. For me that is around a 750 calorie actual deficit according to results on the scale. It is very consistent for me, so even though it is not exact, it is consistent enough to let me eat in a way where I lose weight and am not starving.

Like PAV8888 said, you will want to be consistent for at least 4 weeks.

If you use a site like trendweight and weigh regularly, you should be able to see a trend and adjust from there.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    But do yall eat the green number???
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Aarjono wrote: »
    I have an apple watch connected, and I eat all mine back. I'm losing an average of 1.5/week, which is what my MFP goal is set at.

Just so we're clear, you eat the green number??

I'm not sure what you mean by "green number". I eat to my set calorie goal (1410), plus the number MFP calculates that I have earned from exercise (which for today was only 70). Today I went a little over, but yesterday I was under.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options

e3ud40hijpl6.jpg

If you mean the number the arrow is pointing at, then yes.

However, some caveats, activity trackers are not accurate for everyone and can be off quite a bit for some people.
    I log everything I eat and weigh in daily and log all my weights into a site called Trendweight. After a few weeks, it tells you what your actual deficit was based on your results on the scale. Then, you can compare that to what you ate and what your activity tracker told you that you burned and adjust accordingly.

According to my fitbit data, I'm eating at a 1000 calorie deficit which on the scale only proves out to be a 750 calorie deficit. Still, plenty for me.

So, yes, you can probably eat that green number for a month and just see where you end up to see if that's the right choice for you. :) There's a bit of experimentation involved.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options

e3ud40hijpl6.jpg

If you mean the number the arrow is pointing at, then yes.

However, some caveats, activity trackers are not accurate for everyone and can be off quite a bit for some people.
    I log everything I eat and weigh in daily and log all my weights into a site called Trendweight. After a few weeks, it tells you what your actual deficit was based on your results on the scale. Then, you can compare that to what you ate and what your activity tracker told you that you burned and adjust accordingly.

According to my fitbit data, I'm eating at a 1000 calorie deficit which on the scale only proves out to be a 750 calorie deficit. Still, plenty for me.

So, yes, you can probably eat that green number for a month and just see where you end up to see if that's the right choice for you. :) There's a bit of experimentation involved.

Oh, I see now, what the poster mean by green number-- duh. Yes, that is the number I eat, too.