Do I absolutely have to have a "routine" for strength training?

Options
I can go to the gym 2-3 times per week. I would say 80% of the time it is 3 days per week but sometimes I can only do 2 days. I go to the gym around 11:30 pm and the first half hour is cardio. So start strength training around 12 and I like to be done around 1 or 1:15 so I can get to bed at a reasonable time. My problem is I struggle to do a routine because they either do not feel like enough or I cannot do them in the time frame that I have.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    find one that suits your needs.

For example SL can be done 2-3 days a week.

You can structure it how you want.

Or if you are comfortable try 531 which can be done 2-4 days...you pick.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow a lifting program. However, I see people at the gym (not following a program) that spin their wheels...not progressing.

It would be best to find a 2 day a week program (even 5/3/1 has a 2 day option), and lift before cardio...if lifting is a priority.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

You list 30min of cardio then strength training from 12-1? Thats an entire hour dedicated to lifting? Thats plenty of time to incorporate a routine. :)
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHt-qq7ZEM

I'm a fan girl, but this is pretty much how I feel. Are you just starting out and just want to get used to new exercises or do you have a specific goal in mind? If the latter applies to you, then look for a *program* so you have something Taylor made to specifically consider where you are at the start of said program and to help you determine what weight to do for rep ranges and sets each week in order to progress.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I use an App on my phone, fitbod, it let me set how much time I had, and what equipment I have access to, and what my specific goals are, and it gives me a workout each day I go based on my muscle recovery. It includes recommended sets/reps/weight. It also syncs with my apple health App. It takes the guess work out of it for me, and it has videos you can watch if you are not familiar with a particular exercise. Using it I have really started to learn which ones I like best, and I like the wide variety, I don't get bored.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you have a plan to follow you'll be able to judge whether you are doing too much or not enough based on whether or not you accomplished what was listed on the program that day. If you don't have a plan to follow, you'll be going off of feelings alone, which is subjective and not necessarily a good gauge of productivity.

You should be able to do a program within 60-75 minutes.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If I am looking for a program, I google the split I want (i.e. my last schedule change was a 4 day a week split.)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If by "routine" you mean a focused plan with ways to measure progress, then yes you need a "routine".

It doesn't have to be a "name" program and it doesn't have to be long or complicated. 6-8 basic compound exercises, 3 or 4 sets each is plenty.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    For most people, lifting weights without a well-designed routine is like leaving for a road trip to a strange destination with no map. You may eventually get there, but it's going to take a lot longer and be a lot more difficult than if you'd planned it correctly. Most people don't understand how to intelligently design/structure a lifting routine and just end up spinning their wheels and not accomplishing much of anything.

An hour in the weight room is plenty of time to do a good routine.

Lol too funny. Hate to admit it I know people like that. Incidentally enough they have no real direction in life.

Yea I agree a routine needs to be followed to progress and measure success. A program centered around compound lifts will suffice!

Don't spin your wheels. When you notice strength increasing you'll go beast mode and wanna gym all the time! At least that's how i feel.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I wing most of my routines tbh
    For most people, lifting weights without a well-designed routine is like leaving for a road trip to a strange destination with no map. You may eventually get there, but it's going to take a lot longer and be a lot more difficult than if you'd planned it correctly. Most people don't understand how to intelligently design/structure a lifting routine and just end up spinning their wheels and not accomplishing much of anything.

No chance I can do a leg session in an hour, squatting alone takes me 35-45mins, usually ends up at 90+ mins
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »

No chance I can do a leg session in an hour, squatting alone takes me 35-45mins, usually ends up at 90+ mins

If your options were to fit your workout into an hour or not workout at all, which would you pick? The point is that it is possible to fit a workout into an hour, not that your specific workout can fit into that time.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you have goals and don't want to waste your time, yes. It sounds like you don't have much time to waste, so I'd use it wisely, eh?
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    for me i get way less sore if i workout consistently, especially legs. if i dont squat for like a week it'll destroy me and its hard to walk for like 2-3 days. doing it 2-3 times a week its highly manageable
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good question, I was curious too.
  • gymzonian
    gymzonian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would advice you to follow a good lifting program that suit your lifestyle. I'm sure you'll find one. When I started, I got all my program in bodybuilding.com for free (I used SL too). Years passed by and I decided to create my own program. It's up to you. There is Strong Lifts, Starting Strength... for you to utilize. If you feel somehow that it's not enough, try to lift heavier (make sure you got your form right though). You don't want to snap anything. Anyway, your diet needs to accommodate your goal as well. Good program+ a good nutrition= ALL KINDS OF GAINZZ ^_<
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    gymzonian wrote: »
    I would advice you to follow a good lifting program that suit your lifestyle. I'm sure you'll find one. When I started, I got all my program in bodybuilding.com for free (I used SL too). Years passed by and I decided to create my own program. It's up to you. There is Strong Lifts, Starting Strength... for you to utilize. If you feel somehow that it's not enough, try to lift heavier (make sure you got your form right though). You don't want to snap anything. Anyway, your diet needs to accommodate your goal as well. Good program+ a good nutrition= ALL KINDS OF GAINZZ ^_<

FIFY.

Excess calories+progressive load lifting=Gains

*unless you are obese, new to lifting, returning or a young male or doing a recomp (which do not apply to the OP)
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Progress in the weight room over the long term requires three things: Persistence, consistency, and the right program. You can go do 'whatever' and feel good you've exercised, but that's all it is. Training requires measurable progress, which is easier as a beginning and more complex as you enter intermediate and advanced stages of training.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »

What are you doing with squats that takes 45 minutes.