Kraft peanut butter or kraft all natural peanut butter?

Options
Is there really a difference?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Check out the ingredients to see the difference. My guess would be that the natural peanut butter is ground peanuts while the other one is peanuts plus a few other ingredients.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Depends..... What are you evaluating between the two?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of Skippy natural creamy peanut butter the best.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is this a Canadian thing?

Check out the ingredients and nutrition information, that will tell you. Usually "all natural" means there's nothing in it but peanuts and perhaps salt, but they have to tell you.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    All natural has no salt or sugar. The calories are relatively the same so it depends what your goals are when deciding between the two. I prefer natural now that I'm used to it and I pour off the oil at the top and use it for stirfrys so it is a little satisfying knowing that my calories in is a tiny bit lower whenever I have toast with peanut butter.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use Smucker's Natural and 'peanuts' are the only ingredient. The characteristic of them is that the oil separates from the crushed peanuts and you must stir it back in. That's easy enough and I only have to do it once.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Is there really a difference?

Depends on if you prefer one for some reason. Personally I like creamy, and the lowest priced...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    I use Smucker's Natural and 'peanuts' are the only ingredient. The characteristic of them is that the oil separates from the crushed peanuts and you must stir it back in. That's easy enough and I only have to do it once.

That's weird. My Smucker's Natural says it has salt (1% or less) as well as peanuts. I prefer the taste without added sugar and non-peanut oils, especially since I use PB in savory dishes a lot. Sometimes the initial stirring is a bit of a chore, but if I burn 5 or 10 calories doing it, all the better. It helps if you turn the jar upside down when you first buy it, and then turn it every so often until you open it (I tend to stock up when it's on sale, so some jars may sit on a shelf in my kitchen for several months).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's weird. My Smucker's Natural says it has salt (1% or less) as well as peanuts.

Yeah, some natural ones do, some don't. (No clue about Smuckers.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    All natural has no salt or sugar. The calories are relatively the same so it depends what your goals are when deciding between the two. I prefer natural now that I'm used to it and I pour off the oil at the top and use it for stirfrys so it is a little satisfying knowing that my calories in is a tiny bit lower whenever I have toast with peanut butter.

I do this too! Even though there is no added oil, it still seems like too much oil to me when I stir it all in.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

I do this too! Even though there is no added oil, it still seems like too much oil to me when I stir it all in.

So do I! I thought I was the only one who did that. My family thinks its weird since they all stir it in.

I'm a Kraft all natural crunchy fan all the way! Just the one ingredient - peanuts. Tastes better to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Are you sure there's no salt? My Smuckers has salt, as do all the natural brands I use.

To me, natural means no added sugar or oils.

kraft-creamy-pb.png?w=396&h=329&crop&ssl=1

Cotton is a highly pesticided crop and I do not buy products that contain cotton seed oil.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    As far as taste goes, I really prefer the regular stuff. I find all-natural very sticky and dries my mouth unpleasantly. Plus it tends to separate, so every time you want to use it, you need to re-mix it. Kinda annoying.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you sure there's no salt? My Smuckers has salt, as do all the natural brands I use.

To me, natural means no added sugar or oils.

kraft-creamy-pb.png?w=396&h=329&crop&ssl=1

Cotton is a highly pesticided crop and I do not buy products that contain cotton seed oil.

I didn't even know Kraft made pb, but I looked their natural pb up online and the label said 0 sodium so I'm guessing they don't add salt.

The natural pb I buy does have added salt. I don't think I'd like it without salt.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Most major brands now offer a "natural" version that you don't need to stir. I assume it's a marketing gimmick, as the "Natural Jif Creamy" I'm holding in my hand lists ingredients: peanuts, sugar, palm oil, 2% or less of salt, molasses. Natural doesn't have any official meaning to it, so it can be randomly stuck on most anything!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Most major brands now offer a "natural" version that you don't need to stir. I assume it's a marketing gimmick, as the "Natural Jif Creamy" I'm holding in my hand lists ingredients: peanuts, sugar, palm oil, 2% or less of salt, molasses. Natural doesn't have any official meaning to it, so it can be randomly stuck on most anything!

They'd pretty much have to add some type of saturated fat or a stabilizing agent to make it not separate, though if you give it a good stir and store in the fridge it shouldn't separate.
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Smucker's Natural PB. I can no longer stand the taste of the other stuff….
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always get either kraft or PC natual peanut butter. The only ingredient for both of them is just peanuts and they taste the exact same so I just get whichever one is on sale.

When I first switched to the natural from the regular kraft peanut butter i found it too peanuty and not salty enough.

I'm used to it now though and find it delicious. I stayed with some relatives a few months ago that only had regular peanut butter and it tasted insanely sugary and felt like it had such an unnatural texture. Based on that, I would recommend the natural variety.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

They'd pretty much have to add some type of saturated fat or a stabilizing agent to make it not separate, though if you give it a good stir and store in the fridge it shouldn't separate.

Yep, palm oil. It doesn't need to be refrigerated and it doesn't separate. They just call it natural to get people who think that's important without knowing why will buy it based on the label.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    As far as taste goes, I really prefer the regular stuff. I find all-natural very sticky and dries my mouth unpleasantly. Plus it tends to separate, so every time you want to use it, you need to re-mix it. Kinda annoying.

I'm the exact opposite. In the past I didn't care but I'm now finding that regular peanut butter seems too smooth for me. I like the gritty stickiness of natural.