Low sugar/carb foods

Options
What are some good low carb and/or low sugar foods that are food? I'm able to stay at my calorie limit for the day but can't seem to stay even close to my sugar/ carb limit

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    1. Is your carbohydrate target appropriate?
    2. What foods are causing you to go over your carbohydrate target? Sugar is less important, but are there foods that are consistently causing you to exceed your sugar goal?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason for limiting sugars or other carbs? Because MFP includes all sugars......natural and added. Fruit can easily bring you over the sugar limit.

Low carb ideas..........http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    1. Is your carbohydrate target appropriate?
    2. What foods are causing you to go over your carbohydrate target? Sugar is less important, but are there foods that are consistently causing you to exceed your sugar goal?

This.

Mostly what I'd recommend is not seeking out carb-free foods (unless you have a specific reason), but eating to your calorie limit and then looking over your diary to see where you can make changes. If you are high on carbs, you are probably low on something else, and that matters too -- if low on protein you'd want to focus on adding protein-rich foods (or increasing servings of what you are already eating). If under on fat, you might want to work on adding in more foods with fat (especially healthy sources like nuts and seeds, avocado, olives and olive oil, fatty fish) OR you may decide it doesn't matter, as fat vs. carb percentage is really a personal choice/preference and there can be lots of variety on what works for people.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic so its necessary for me to cut carbs...but think high protein foods like cheese, eggs, nuts, but these foods you have to watch the calorie content in them also...but also green leafy vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc...you get the idea
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    None starchy vegetables, berries, meat, fish/seafood, eggs, nuts
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Dang it!!! I posted and it got eaten in internet land!!! GRRR! Short story...steel cut oats with unsweetened cacao powder and unsweetened almond milk with dark roast natural peanut butter! Helps me not dive into a Reeses!!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dang it!!! I posted and it got eaten in internet land!!! GRRR! Short story...steel cut oats with unsweetened cacao powder and unsweetened almond milk with dark roast natural peanut butter! Helps me not dive into a Reeses!!!

That's definitely not low carb, is it?

OP, I have always found it easier to focus on getting more of what you're lacking rather than focus on what you can't have. Is there something missing from your diet because of how many carbs you're eating? It would also help if we knew why you were concerned about this. Are you hungry? Macros are pretty much personal preference, so if you are hitting your calorie goal and feeling good, you don't HAVE to change anything.

My own personal experience - I don't even look at my sugar number. But when I focused on getting my protein, fat, and fiber up it was easier for me to feel full on less calories (and my carbs and sugar naturally went down a little). Having said that, I still eat around 200g of carbs daily!