Help! Am I being an idiot?

Options
Hi guys

I'm new to the app and just linked my Fitbit to my fitness pal.

I have a few questions, the app seems to be like linking my steps but not my exercise?

It did a workout today that Fitbit registered but my fitness did not? I tried to manually add it but it showed no calories lost? (Even though i added how many Carole's I lost under exercise it still shows zero?)

Can somebody help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Sarah

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you sync, it gives you an exercise adjustment based on your steps. But you won't see individual exercise sessions. There's no need to manually log your step-based exercise here. Even if you don't see the exercise, it will still give you the appropriate adjustments.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, not sure how to fix it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ravenzwart wrote: »
    I have the same problem, not sure how to fix it.

It's not a problem -- it's how the sync is designed to work.
  • Pixilocks123
    Pixilocks123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So if Fitbit logs an exercise and my fitness pal does not adjust calories burnt and does not adjust any calories then this is normal?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    So if Fitbit logs an exercise and my fitness pal does not adjust calories burnt and does not adjust any calories then this is normal?

It could mean that something is wrong. But it's also possible that you haven't moved enough to justify an adjustment. It's only going to begin generating adjustments when you have moved *more* than your MFP activity level would predict. If you're set to "sedentary," you'll begin generating adjustments much earlier than someone who picks "active," for example. And if you don't move more than your activity level would have anticipated then you won't get an adjustment at all (which is good because you don't want to eat calories that you really haven't "earned").

Given the information you've shared so far, I have no idea if it's normal. But it's certainly *possible* for someone to exercise and not get an adjustment. What is your activity level set to and how many steps is Fitbit recording for you?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    As said already, it won't log individual activities just the total adjustment as of that moment. So if you are sedentary most of the day and then log a 30 minute workout video (just as an example), you may not get extra calories because the two programs communicate and decide that because you didn't move the rest of the day, that to meet your daily target for calories to lose, you can't eat the exercise calories. Does that help?
  • Pixilocks123
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for your replies, I'm thinking this makes way more sense. I literally started using my Fitbit today, about 5pm. I have set MyFitnessPal to sedentary and did a 30 min workout today and I suppose based on five hours tracking through my Fitbit it has not deemed that I need a calorie adjustment ! Which I'm fine with I'll see what happens after a full day tomorrow as the steps tracked so far have also not adjusted my calorie intake! Time to start working harder ha ha
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates your daily calorie burn rate based on your stated activity level.
    Fitbit estimates your daily total burned based on your movement.

If Fitbit burned is more than MFP's estimate, you earn extra calories.

When Fitbit recognizes exercise, the details do not get reported to MFP. MFP just gets your # of steps and how many calories you have burned.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for your replies, I'm thinking this makes way more sense. I literally started using my Fitbit today, about 5pm. I have set MyFitnessPal to sedentary and did a 30 min workout today and I suppose based on five hours tracking through my Fitbit it has not deemed that I need a calorie adjustment ! Which I'm fine with I'll see what happens after a full day tomorrow as the steps tracked so far have also not adjusted my calorie intake! Time to start working harder ha ha

This means that Fitbit assumed you burned bmr from midnight to 5pm, which is not accurate. You moved more, I'm sure! Ignore today and wait til you have 1 or more full days with Fitbit.

• nutmegoreo
    Options
    Yup. Don't worry about today. There is also a FitBit group here, if you would like to join. Great place to get lots of information.
  • Pixilocks123
    Options
    I will, is it on this forum? I'll check for it now, thanks so much for the help!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options