Creatine Supplements

Options
I've decided to up my game and try to be more proactive able lifting heavier. I've kinda been in this comfort zone of lifting with a certain level of intensity, but I need to break out of that and push myself harder.

Do you find Creatine to be helpful in giving you that extra burst in your workouts? How often do you use it? Did it make you retain water? Did it accelerate your progress?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I stopped taking creatine as a result of horrible stomach cramps, but it won't really give you energy unless the brand has caffeine in it. It should allow you to increase volume a bit to help indirectly support muscle growth. But if you are struggling with workouts, it might be worth looking into a new program to see if that would reinvigorate things.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Did absolutely nothing at all for me, positive or negative.
    No change in weight, size, exercise performance.....

Nutrition wouldn't be where I would look if I was in an exercise rut, I would look at the exercise routine, motivation and goals.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Creatine just makes me poop a lot.

Find a structured program and stick to it.
    Challenge yourself. Eat according to your goals.
    No supplement will make you push yourself to do more, to have to figure out how to do that yourself.
    I like things like AMRAP or plus sets for a good challenge.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Creatine helps me more with recovery than actual lifting. It also causes me to have a week of initial bloating, constipation...and consistently causes about 3-4lbs weight gain. The ill effects subside in a week...water weight is gone within a week of stopping creatine.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste your time on creatine, focus on your overall nutrition, nutrient timing, structured progressive lifting plan. Creatine is less effective than those things. Caffiene will give you a boost though. I've used instant espresso (I add in some chocolate flavoured whey powder too just because) about 1/2 hours before my workout if I think I need a kick in the pants.

You might just try upping the weight your lifting though. Are you doing progressive overload?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I like it. I've been using GNC Lab Grade Creatine in my pre-workout. I don't find that it gives me any extra energy but it does promote faster recovery... not as sore. I find my weight lifting progression is going faster than before I was taking it and it certainly helps to maintain the muscle I have while doing a clean bulk.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I like it. I've been using GNC Lab Grade Creatine in my pre-workout. I don't find that it gives me any extra energy but it does promote faster recovery... not as sore. I find my weight lifting progression is going faster than before I was taking it and it certainly helps to maintain the muscle I have while doing a clean bulk.

You should be building muscle on a bulk (that is the goal), and definitely maintaining it at least. Or did you mean during a cut? I never heard of it helping during cutting unless there is something I'm missing
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It might be a placebo effect, but I clearly feel a boost lifting and am less sore. I take 5g powder with juice, as I was told sugar aids absorption.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I take 5g every day. Haven't really noticed any tangible difference either way from it. I keep taking it just because it's cheap and there's plenty of scientific evidence to show it's beneficial.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Took 5g every day for about 6 months. No noticeable effect(s) whatsoever. Stopped taking it and threw out the small amount left.
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've seen patients whose kidney function have deteriorated because of the use of creatine. Be careful with that. If you can reach your goals without ingesting any supplements, go for that safe way better.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    So far it sounds like a poor investment :/ I just tried some today before my leg workout. Too early to tell... but based off of most of your input, I just flushed $18 down the drain!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    So far it sounds like a poor investment :/ I just tried some today before my leg workout. Too early to tell... but based off of most of your input, I just flushed $18 down the drain!

Yep far too early to tell - give it a month.
    That's assuming you are just taking a small daily amount, takes a while to hit saturation point.

I'm like @sgt1372 - tried it for 6 months. I just happen to be a non-responder. You might get lucky.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Tazzie0208 wrote: »
    I've seen patients whose kidney function have deteriorated because of the use of creatine. Be careful with that. If you can reach your goals without ingesting any supplements, go for that safe way better.

I highly doubt it unless they had kidney disease beforehand.

How did you exactly determine the creatine was the cause?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I agree, give it a month and see. Many people have reported good results with it. It's one of the very, very few supplements that I wouldn't discount as "junk" right off hand.

You won't notice results *immediately* - it's not like a pre-workout or something that works acutely. The effects, if any, come after you've saturated your system with it and are maintaining the higher level of creatine. You may want to read up on it here, tons of useful information: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I use creatine to help with my insulin sensitivity (I'm a type I diabetic). After using it about a month I did gain a couple pounds and looked leaner, but I was training hard so who knows if it was the creatine. I buy it from my protein since labdoor said it's not full of crap.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'd agree with others and say give it a try. Even if it just helps with recovery and potentially increasing the total volume, it could be worth it. You should just know that there is a priority of when supplementation is important (shown below).

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png

I do plan on incorporating it again (will try a different brand to see if I can get passed the stomach issues) but I want to exhausted all noob gains.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've been taking creatine for about 8 months now with no negative side effects. It has helped with maybe a 5-10% boost in my lifts and I feel like I have a bit more endurance when I workout.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and actually used it for a few years but really saw no benefit at all from it.