Alternative for Bread

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't substitute it... how much sodium does bread have!?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the lunch meat plain? If you need something else try vegetables.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    One slice of bread to cut back. Or wrap your lunch meat in a slice of cheese.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I like the Mission brand low carb whole wheat tortillas (the smaller one, not the Fajitas one). its good for me watching carbs! Tastes like it has a bit of honey in it. Great for tacos!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Huh, literally never thought of bread as high sodium. I don't eat much but that's just because I prefer super fresh bread and CBA getting it often.

I enjoy crackers with cheese and meat on them but you might run into the same perceived issue of them being bad.

You could make potato salads, bean salads, grain salads etc. Lunch doesn't have to mean sandwich.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended ezekiel bread. You can find it in the frozen section. Just put in the toaster for a few seconds to get it soft. It's natural, low calorie and has a lot of fiber.

http://www.eatthis.com/ezekiel-bread
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I personally have switched to Ole Xtreme Wellness tortillas. They carry only 50 calories, lots of fiber, a low amount of sodium, and even some protein. Here's a flavor I often get:
    http://olemex.com/index.php/2013-07-26-20-44-53/traditional-mexican/item/175-spinach-herbs-tortilla-wraps-8
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    @sjaplo YASSSSS
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    One slice of bread to cut back. Or wrap your lunch meat in a slice of cheese.

He's substituting bread because of it's "high" sodium content. Cheese is going to be far higher in sodium as @missh1967 already pointed out.

Use your coldcuts on a nice salad.....but make the dressing yourself because pre-made are generally high sodium.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Just gonna leave this here..........440vat9fl9mw.jpg

That is so cruel, so cruel (joking BTW) . . . I love, love, LOVE fresh bread but sadly cannot eat it anymore (medical reasons) :( I still buy it for the rest of my family and the smells drives me crazy!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I've gone the restrictive diet method before, and while it works in the short run - because you are monitoring everything you put in your mouth - it doesn't last.

Just using mfp and my Garmin is working very nicely thank you.

Bread's only issue is that is calorie dense - which was great before food became so plentiful - now it just means eating less and making sure what you eat is top quality. - Like every other food................
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Just gonna leave this here..........440vat9fl9mw.jpg

I see you have sprinkled some whey isolate on the ones on the back, probably vanilla
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread because I can't have gluten and gluten free breads aren't worth the dough. I wrap a slice of deli meat and cheese around a slice of avocado. Or you can beat an egg and cook it omelet style in a small non-stick skillet and wrap that around the meat and cheese. Or add some whey protein powder to the egg to give it more of a bread-like consistency. But honestly, if I could eat real bread I would probably eat a loaf every day.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I make muffins out of UMP vanilla protein powder, egg whites, a little olive oil and pumpkin pie spice. Yummy toasted with nut butter.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, but it shows some promise.. it's on my "to try list" for an upcoming weekend.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/246350/easy-cloud-bread/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    jferris91 wrote: »
    What do you use as an alternative to bread. I have done tortillas but they are almost as bad as bread. I am looking for some type of alternative that I could use for my lunch meat.
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    When you say "bad" do you mean texture, taste, or nutrition value?

My regular bread alternatives are reduced calorie whole grain or rye breads, 90 calorie Hawaiian rolls, Trader Joes Artisan rolls for about 110 calories each or low carb flatbreads, tortillas and wraps.

Or if you want a no carb/ no grain options try lettuce wraps or cloud bread recipes. Hope this is what you're looking for.

yes bad as in nutritional

What's bad about it?

High sodium

I know this may come as a complete shock, but your lunch meat has about 3x as much sodium as the bread you put it between. And if you add any cheese, that's also more sodium than the bread you use, more than likely.

One slice of cheese and lunch meat could put you at a minimum of 400 mg of sodium, but likely closer to 600. I'm guessing you're buying the "carbs/bread/pasta/rice is bad" mantra.

This was my first thought as well. I do find some commercial breads have more sodium than you would expect (especially white breads). But if you are eating a ham & cheese sandwich and you're worried about sodium, you should worry about the ham & cheese before the bread.

OP, start reading the nutrition info of breads and wraps in your grocery store and I'd bet you can find something that will work. Or you can go the lettuce wrap route. I have on occasion just rolled up some cold cuts and cheese on their own and eaten them for lunch too. Otherwise, maybe cold cuts aren't the best choice for you.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    look up low carb recipes for bread
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    I haven't tried this yet, but it shows some promise.. it's on my "to try list" for an upcoming weekend.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/246350/easy-cloud-bread/

I love love LOVE cloud bread and you can make taste substitutions depending on what you're going for (garlic for sliders, a bit of stevia for nut butter sandwiches, etc). I use this one since I usually don't have cream of tatar:
    http://thebigapplemama.com/2016/01/no-carb-cloud-bread.html