Where to get my extra protein? 130g per day, no meat! Tips please :)

Options
Hiya my name is paige, and I've recently lost most (not all) of my excess fat over a few month period and I am now trying to build some muscle, I am advised by my PT to try and get 130g of protein in my diet daily. But I am vegaterian, two protein shakes a day and a little protein from few other sources still only rounds up to about 60g. Feeling stuck and want to progress, any tips anyone? b0v2dhwhs7xo.png

Replies

• megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I assume you already eat beans and nuts. Do you eat chia seeds? They are a great source of protein, fat and fiber.

Do you eat dairy?

• strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on your achievement ! I really like quinoa in a salad and that normally ups my protein
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Beans and legumes are a good, inexpensive protein source although they're also high in carbohydrates - not a problem for everyone, but something to bear in mind. You can make a variety of soups and stews with those. Tofu is really great in stir fries and very versatile. If you eat dairy, Greek yoghurt is probably my favourite easy source of protein (the 0% fat Fage is really quite low calorie, too). Finally, if you switch your 'white' foods (like white pasta, bread etc) to the 'brown' version, the latter are slightly higher in protein. Not by much, but it all adds up, right?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Get some vegan protein powders and add them to all kinds of cooked food. There's stuff you can find here using the Search function, or find on pinterest or youtube, just searching for 'high protein'. You've vast resources.
  • lolo_bunny
    lolo_bunny Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts are also a great source of protein (as well as fat and iron). You can add them to main dishes, smoothies, salads, etc.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What is your calorie goal per day?

1) Protein enriched bread and wraps. Generic wholemeal is 4-5g per slice normally, if you can't find enriched bread locally.

2) Some breakfast cereals are higher in protein than others (for example, I have a fruit granola that is 12g protein per 45g)

3) A lot of the time, reaching protein goals for meat-free eaters is about "majoring in the minors"- what veg are you eating? Including peas, broccoli and spinach will push up your total for the day.

4) Beans and legume products. These vary from 4g per 100g up to 24g+ per 100g (yellow mung dal).

5) Nuts and seeds. Peanuts, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, etc.

6) Quorn and other faux meat products

7) houmous, especially fat-reduced houmous, which has a higher percentage of sesame seeds than standard houmous, increasing its protein content.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have load up on the pea or hemp protein to get the that target level consistently. Vegan sources aren't typically high enough that you can eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables plus your protein sources and reach a target that high without severely limiting your diet. Meaning, eating a ton of soy/tofu/lentils etc while trying to fit in some other things to get a little variety. Personally, I'd just supplement with 50-60 grams of protein from a source like Pea Protein split into 20gx3 a day and then you can have a more balanced diet to go with it.
  • dbrose40
    dbrose40 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Chocolate delux bar pure protien. It has 33 grams of protein and only 280 calories in each bar.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Hiya...
    Snacks: Quorn mini sausage!!
    Main dinner: As a vegetarian, do you like Indian food?
    If so- daal (lentil), channa (chickpea) & rajma (kidney bean) way to go. Nutrient dense and reasonably high in protein.
  • jlinderman1967
    jlinderman1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try adding Seitan if your not already doing so. 3oz will give you about 27 grams and it is very versatile.
  • hjg0989
    hjg0989 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in the protein shakes?
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What is the point of the photo?