Alternative for Bread

Options
13»

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    MacLean12 wrote: »

I see you have sprinkled some whey isolate on the ones on the back, probably vanilla[/quote]

Have to make them "healthy" somehow! :D

• taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Will210 wrote: »
    My trainer recommended ezekiel bread. You can find it in the frozen section. Just put in the toaster for a few seconds to get it soft. It's natural, low calorie and has a lot of fiber.

http://www.eatthis.com/ezekiel-bread

This. Ezekiel bread is highly nutritious and there are several varieties!
  • Fataf99
    Fataf99 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    MacLean12 wrote: »

I see you have sprinkled some whey isolate on the ones on the back, probably vanilla

Have to make them "healthy" somehow! :D

[/quote]

Im looking at injecting whey isolate into a silverside beef joint as a bread substitute. 1kg beef 1kg whey iso = bread
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just gonna leave this here..........440vat9fl9mw.jpg

You know, I've already requested to my friends that on my deathbed, I want loaves of French bread. LOL
    I have Celiac so until I know I'm going to die, I have to stay away..The picture is a dream come true for me.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    WASA is my alternative to bread - sourdough whole grain crispbread by WASA @ 35 calories per slice.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I use Lavash. I use half a sheet per sandwich.

californialavash.com/flatbread/lavash/
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Just gonna leave this here..........440vat9fl9mw.jpg

Yes. This (great pic - and nice batch of breads!). If it's lowered sodium you want, it is very easy to bake your own. Some salt is needed, otherwise, the result tastes like cardboard. But you can crank it way down compared to commercial loaves.

I use a "no knead" method that requires about 10 minutes of easy work in an approx 3-hour start-from-scratch to finished-loaf-cooling cycle. I make a variety of types, and they're all about 1/3 the sodium of the comparable commercial brands and flavors I used to buy. Further, the homemade bread is more satisfying, so I actually eat less of it (by cutting thinner slices than I specify in the MFP recipe builder portion size determination, for a double dividend on macro counts). In addition to removing things such as sodium and less-desirable ingredients (really, bread can be nothing but flour, yeast, salt, water) you can ADD things you may want, such as whey or other protein, seeds/nuts/fruit/grains (I add items such as wheat germ, rolled oats, etc.) and more (e.g., herbs such as rosemary). You're in total control.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I won't quote that picture of the bread a fifth time on this page, but HOLY DELICIOUSNESS, BATMAN!!!!!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hand bake bread without any salt at all. Typically whole meal bread from flour made at a local sixteenth century stone mill. The salt is only there to put the brakes on the yeast and is what makes fluffy French style breads. The yeast all dies off when you put the loaf in the oven to cook anyway. I have a great cookbook that has bread recipes from all around the world. Another bread that has no salt is traditional naan bread. Also German rye bread. There are also a whole host of quick breads that do not use yeast or flour.
    I suggest you get a bread cookbook and start baking bread with no salt.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oops do not use yeast or salt....did not mean to write yeast or flour. Sorry
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    One slice of bread to cut back. Or wrap your lunch meat in a slice of cheese.

He's substituting bread because of it's "high" sodium content. Cheese is going to be far higher in sodium as @missh1967 already pointed out.

Use your coldcuts on a nice salad.....but make the dressing yourself because pre-made are generally high sodium.

Hold on, bread has too much sodium for his cold cuts. Am I the only one who sees the irony here? Cold cuts have a LOT of sodium.

Anyway, not sure about the sodium level but there are a bunch of brands that make low carb/high protein tortillas nowadays.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

He's substituting bread because of it's "high" sodium content. Cheese is going to be far higher in sodium as @missh1967 already pointed out.

Use your coldcuts on a nice salad.....but make the dressing yourself because pre-made are generally high sodium.

Hold on, bread has too much sodium for his cold cuts. Am I the only one who sees the irony here? Cold cuts have a LOT of sodium.

Anyway, not sure about the sodium level but there are a bunch of brands that make low carb/high protein tortillas nowadays.

Most of these people are just looking to get their life complicated and are looking for bread subs for whatever reason. Most just guess they cant have gluten etc. This person things a TEASPOON of salt in a loaf of bread is a lot, yet cheese and cold cuts are fine. Makes sense to me.

Whole-loaf eaters!
    :innocent:

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I can't say for certain "low sodium" cold cuts don't exist (I've never seen them myself)......I was giving OP the benefit of the doubt.