HIT Help Please!!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to the HIT workout. Does anyone have any ideas on what's a good workout to start with? Also, I'd love to friends to help inspire me!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It's HIIT not hit.
  • Crackertime
    Crackertime Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed Fitness Blender's HIIT with strength training.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    do a utube search for hiit for beginners. there r tons :) some examples

https://youtu.be/wPpObC5PnwM
    https://youtu.be/q20pLhdoEoY
    https://youtu.be/jIkNXS-ETs4
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's HIIT not hit.

High Intensity Training cf High Intensity Interval Training...

HIT would be threshold sessions or cruise intervals cf sprint intervals.

That said, I've a feeling the originator is, as you suggest, jumping on the HIIT bandwagon.
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the HIT workout. Does anyone have any ideas on what's a good workout to start with? Also, I'd love to friends to help inspire me!

HIT or HIIT is just a protocol for training, so the best for you depends on what your objectives are. If you have a specific thing you want to improve, like running or cycling, you'll get a different answer than if you're just getting into training to lose weight.

I'd also be cautious of random recommendations without first exploring that, as you may end up with recommendations that are a bit advanced for your needs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas on what's a good workout to start with?

A workout that matches your goals, capabilities, time available and you enjoy (or can endure!).

That might be HIIT, but it might well be the wrong exercise for you, it might be just part of your overall training routine.....
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Are you in awesome shape? If not, any form of HIIT is not going to help you in any way.
    Usually asking for HIIT workouts is a good indication that you do not need them. Not being sarcastic, despite the hype, very few people will see any benefit from HIIT, e.g. athletes fine tuning their training. The rest, it is just hype and a ton of workouts that have nothing to do with HIIT.For example, that "HIIT" class video posted above, it is basically an old fashioned cardio class, with shorter than usual duration, named HIIT to attract a bigger audience and has zero resemblance to a true HIIT workout
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have tried Insanity Fast and Furious 20 min, Jillian Michaels' 1 week shred(cardio), TurboFire, and The Firm's Turbocharge. The Firm uses hand weights, the others don't. HIIT is very difficult to keep up with if you are not in good cardio shape. I'd start out with a less intense, longer cardio workout. Zumba, kickboxing(like turbo jam), or just walking/jogging.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    and any hiit workout over 20 min is not really hiit.
  • whisker1984
    whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Are you in awesome shape? If not, any form of HIIT is not going to help you in any way.
    Usually asking for HIIT workouts is a good indication that you do not need them. Not being sarcastic, despite the hype, very few people will see any benefit from HIIT, e.g. athletes fine tuning their training. The rest, it is just hype and a ton of workouts that have nothing to do with HIIT.For example, that "HIIT" class video posted above, it is basically an old fashioned cardio class, with shorter than usual duration, named HIIT to attract a bigger audience and has zero resemblance to a true HIIT workout

I'm a woman in my thirties in the high 200 lb range, and I've been obese all my life. I've been working with a trainer for 2 months learning HIIT routines, plus doing them on my own 3 days a week. I'd been doing cardio/treadmill/elliptical/cycling on my own for months (and on and off for years) without much change in my body, other than some weight loss with calorie counting.

Since starting the HIIT routines, I'm more energized, the physical aspect of my job has gotten far easier, I'm more flexible, I've lost fat, and I've gained muscle. I've got increased grip strength, I can do exercises I never could before, I have definition in some areas of my body. Sometimes it's hard and I don't do it perfectly or don't make it through, but the next time I do. The variety is awesome and fun, and I swear I work muscles I never knew existed before. I'm working right alongside those fancy athletes and I sure seem to be doing what they're doing (or something close) -- turns out the gym lets just ANYONE onto that side of the place!

Wait, tell me again why fat, out of shape people aren't supposed to do HIIT? I'll ponder your comments during my next HIIT workout. :p

Honestly, it's been one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Certainly you need good guidance but try it, OP!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I'm a woman in my thirties in the high 200 lb range, and I've been obese all my life. I've been working with a trainer for 2 months learning HIIT routines, plus doing them on my own 3 days a week. I'd been doing cardio/treadmill/elliptical/cycling on my own for months (and on and off for years) without much change in my body, other than some weight loss with calorie counting.

Since starting the HIIT routines, I'm more energized, the physical aspect of my job has gotten far easier, I'm more flexible, I've lost fat, and I've gained muscle. I've got increased grip strength, I can do exercises I never could before, I have definition in some areas of my body. Sometimes it's hard and I don't do it perfectly or don't make it through, but the next time I do. The variety is awesome and fun, and I swear I work muscles I never knew existed before. I'm working right alongside those fancy athletes and I sure seem to be doing what they're doing (or something close) -- turns out the gym lets just ANYONE onto that side of the place!

Wait, tell me again why fat, out of shape people aren't supposed to do HIIT? I'll ponder your comments during my next HIIT workout. :p

Honestly, it's been one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Certainly you need good guidance but try it, OP!

Thank you! I thought that response form aggeliklik was a little confronting!

I took a HIIT class at my gym yesterday and I loved it! Taught by a trainer with a Masters in exercise physiology and certified up the wazoo. She knows what she is doing and not selling hype. It was a great workout, got alot in a short time and I was able to do the exercises at my level. I really can't answer the OPs question about what exercises are best to start with. Just pick some and change it up each time. Sorry!

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The term HIIT is defined by different agencies/groups/associations a number of different ways and IIRC some now state that output close to (but not above) VO2max is still HIIT. From all the definitions I've seen personally, it requires some way to gauge output based on VO2max or heart rate.

But both of those measures are individual and not static based on age, weight, height, etc. So really anyone could do them. There are some forms of HIIT that might be very difficult for some people simply due to being uncomfortable with the type(s) of exercise needed, or the inability to work hard enough at those exercises to properly raise heart rate or reach the VO2max output expected.

As for HIIT only helping those in awesome shape, I'd have to disagree. It's designed to improve certain fitness aspects, and people without long fitness training backgrounds still see improvements.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Awesome that you found something that's working for you.

Imagine that "being overweight and exhausted" is the new best thing in the world. It'll get you a raise at work and make you 3 inches taller, you see that message in all the forums and in those featured blog posts every time you log in to MFP. But what most people actually mean by "being overweight" is putting on a heavy backpack or a weight vest, and "being exhausted" means getting really drunk before you do something. You can buy all kinds of DVDs and programs about it. There's one where you do a vodka interval and a rum interval then ...

You'd probably find this a little bewildering. Wearing a backpack isn't the same as being overweight. And people are deluding themselves if they think it'll make them taller. A lot of people have been doing actual HIIT for years as part of their training plans, and suddenly they're hearing "I did calisthenics HIIT and it cured my cancer."

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    It's HIIT not hit.

I suspect you are correct Tim and the OP meant HIIT but HIT is a training protocol.

HIT (High, Intensity, Training) was popularized in the 1970s by Arthur Jones, the founder of Nautilus. The training focuses on training to the point of failure - positive, negative and static. The training takes into account the number of repetitions, the amount of weight, and the amount of time the muscle is exposed to tension in order to maximize the amount of muscle fiber recruitment. They talk a lot about time under tension and train once a week or less.

Can't say I've tried it myself though.